Ninjitsu Styles

K

Koga-Shinobi

Hey dudes, a bit of a screwed up question, I think..but something thats confused me for a bit.

How do Koga and Iga compare to/or relate to Bujinkan and Genbukan?? Reason being, I was led to believe you get two styles of Ninjitsu (Koga and Iga)...but on the forums I read that three styles exist, Genbukan Bujinkan and another i cant remember (Taijinkan?). Or these two "subsets" in any way related to one another, or do they stem from one another? Where's the relationship?:snipe2:

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There were many many styles of Ninpo in history. If you look at this list, taken from the Bugei Ryuha Daijiten, it'll give you an idea of just how many:

http://www.geocities.com/josephcswartz/index.html

Bujinkan, Genbukan and Jinenkan are not styles of Ninpo. They are organizations. Hatsumi sensei, the head of Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu, is the Soke of the three remaining historical Ninpo ryuha - Togakure ryu, Kumogakure ryu and Gyokushin ryu.

Tanemura sensei has Menkyo Kaiden (certificate of full transmission) in Togakure ryu from two different people - Hatsumi sensei and Fukumoto sensei

Manaka sensei has Menkyo Kaiden in Togakure ryu as well from Hatsumi sensei.

Tanemura sensei and Manaka sensei were both long time students of Hatsumi sensei. They both left, following their own path, and the Genbukan and Jinenkan were formed. Tanemura sensei went and studied under Takamatsu sensei's other students...so that knowledge has carried over into the Genbukan. Manaka sensei received 5 Menkyo Kaiden (Gyokko ryu, Koto ryu, Kukishin ryu, Shinden Fudo ryu, Togakure ryu) from Hatsumi sensei...the teachings of the Jinenkan are based on those, along with Jinen ryu...which is a weapon school (to my knowledge) of ideas, techniques and concepts not contained elsewhere in other arts.

If you go back and read all of the threads in the Ninpo forum, you'll find a lot of your questions have been answered some time ago.

Take care,

Jay

Latest Discussions