wieght lifting and the neck

M

muayThaiPerson

when i weight trainng, affter about 10 reps, i feel a strain in my neck. can someone tell me wat thats bout

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
my guess would be that you're lifting wrong and/or clenching your teeth or not breathing correctly.

Make an appointment with a personal trainer at your gym and have them show you the right way.

OP
M

muayThaiPerson

ive asked the professional trainer, he said im doin it right. could it be that im straining it myself w/o knowing?

OP
C

Chiduce

Originally posted by muayThaiPerson

ive asked the professional trainer, he said im doin it right. could it be that im straining it myself w/o knowing?
This experience sounds like you are lifting a little too much weight. Lower your lifting capacity and increase your repetitions. This will help make the neck muscles and the slight swell at the skull base become more elastic by elongating and less plastic. It is not the amount of weight you lift, but the proper exercising of the muscle groups. When lifting especially curling for the arms and shoulders workout, the rooting of the legs and upper torso is increased by adding the extra weight pushing against the pull of gravity. The extra weight distribution is handled by the body in spreading this increase across the shoulders. This extra shoulder weight is again pushing against the natural gravitational pull upon the head and neck. Since this cross-sectional area is substantially smaller, the neck has to absorb the lifting by strain as well as gravity's pull on the head. As you lift the lighter weight doing more repetitions, improving muscle strength of the neck; your body will signal you when it is time to move up in weight without experiencing the nagging strain.
Sincerely, In Humility;
Chiduce!

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Some people when they lift weights flex parts of their body that have nothing or very little to do with the actual lifting..... I know from experience I've pulled a muscle in my back because I got sloppy and was flexing parts I shouldnt have. Try to relax everything but the actual muscles used for the lift.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Carbon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Let me ask this.

Are you feeling strain in your neck while you are lifting? If this is the case what excercise are you doing and what body group are you trying to work?

Also if you are felling the strain after you lift how long after do you feel the strain. Also what excercise were you performing that made you feel the strain later on.

OP
M

MartialArtist

From my experience, a lot of normal trainers do not know perfect technique. They know the basic stuff that you read in books, and a couple of their own tricks. But you should always ask other people for opinions.

I believe you're using too much weight.

On a side note, why are you doing ten reps? Are you trying to get stronger or trying to get bigger? Because ten reps is a bodybuilding program which is about aesthetics and not practicality.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It sounds alot like you are using too much weight. When you lift too much, you can still lift it, but you use and strain other muscle groups, and that is what causes these little injuries. Use less weigth, and focus on using ONLY the muscle group for the excersise.

7sm

OP
M

muayThaiPerson

thank you all for the post and advise. i feel much better by lowering the wieghts. when my neck starts to strain, should i stop right away? for example, after 10 reps

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

thank you all for the post and advise. i feel much better by lowering the wieghts. when my neck starts to strain, should i stop right away? for example, after 10 reps

Depends on what you are lifting for, if you are going for strength and tone, I would lower it a bit more and do more reps, just me though.

7sm

OP
M

MartialArtist

Strength = Low reps (3-4), more weight, 8 or more sets with lots of rest in between

Size = High reps (8-12), less weight, 3-4 sets with some rest

Nothing can really tone a muscle. Density, how hard it is, how big it can become (natural potential max), etc. are mostly determined by genetics.

OP
S

sparky

Have you ever been in an accident or have other injuries to your neck. Possibly you need the services of a chiropractor?

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by MartialArtist

Strength = Low reps (3-4), more weight, 8 or more sets with lots of rest in between

Size = High reps (8-12), less weight, 3-4 sets with some rest

Nothing can really tone a muscle. Density, how hard it is, how big it can become (natural potential max), etc. are mostly determined by genetics.

Actually thats not exactly accurate, toneing muscles can be acheived by asthetic excersize, diet, and weight lifting. How big a muscle can get is determined by genetics, but not completely. Genetics doesn't cause the muscle to big at its bigest allready, or as tone as it can be allready, that is done by what I mentioned above.

7sm

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by 7starmantis

Actually thats not exactly accurate, toneing muscles can be acheived by asthetic excersize, diet, and weight lifting. How big a muscle can get is determined by genetics, but not completely. Genetics doesn't cause the muscle to big at its bigest allready, or as tone as it can be allready, that is done by what I mentioned above.

7sm
You can't "tone" a muscle. You can get it bigger, smaller, but the only way to get it more defined is to cut your fat.

go to bodybuilding.com for more information on cutting, powerlifting vs. bodybuilding vs. Olympic lifting, etc.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by MartialArtist

You can't "tone" a muscle. You can get it bigger, smaller, but the only way to get it more defined is to cut your fat.

go to bodybuilding.com for more information on cutting, powerlifting vs. bodybuilding vs. Olympic lifting, etc.

Actually, cutting fat can be done with weightlifting, therefore toneing the muscles. My partner is a personal trainer and a PT, we have been debating this, his health knowledge and my medical knowledge, in actuallity, tone can be acheived quickest through weightlifting, asthetic excersize and diet. Not forgetting the weightlifting though. Not powerlifting, or bodybuilding but a regimented serious program including lifting.

7sm

OP
B

bscastro

when i weight trainng, affter about 10 reps, i feel a strain in my neck. can someone tell me wat thats bout

What exercise is it?

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
How much rest between reps do you people suggest for both strength training and size training?

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
not sure about everyone else, but my trainer always had me rest for one minute between sets.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For strength or tone issues, I would recomend as little rest as possible. high reps with lower weight and go straight from machine to machine or excersise to excersise. That is the program we have our tranors run, seems to work very well with great and quick results. It has to be seriously adheared to though or it doesn't work well.

7sm

Latest Discussions