ay!!whats wrong with people

M

muayThaiPerson

today i was on the bus and there was this guy. he was talking to someone if not himself about how he just got back from a weight gym. he was showing off big time. well i my wieght trainning instructor was on the bus as well. we just got off class. well the guy said to my instructor that he should get some muscles because he was looking a little "fat". my instructor just ignored him. so he kept rambling and talking to my instructor now. he kept ignoring. so we got off the bus and this guy follwed us to the transfer and kept talking. he told him to just shut up already. the guy after talking some more took a swing adn sprained his wrist. we just kept walking.

well....my instructor is a judo practionionor, and he could lift the stack of weights. i cannot belive some ppl in this world. the stupidity of some people:mad:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think the correct saying is... "Big Mussles...small peepee"

:D

Sadly, you see it all the time...the person who has to brag about something to extremes to all that can hear, or who is soooo concerned for your well being that they must 'help', etc.

:asian:

OP
H

hubris

Sad story, but it happens all to often. At the gym where I work out, there are some goons who like to start things up. I have a feeling in some cases it's roid rage. Luckily for me, I'm a small fifty year old woman, and the goons usually leave me alone. A lot of cops and firefighters work out at my gym, and the goons like to try to mess with these fellahs. Big mistake.

"don't show off and act dumb"

OP
B

bscastro

Originally posted by muayThaiPerson

today i was on the bus and there was this guy. he was talking to someone if not himself about how he just got back from a weight gym. he was showing off big time. well i my wieght trainning instructor was on the bus as well. we just got off class. well the guy said to my instructor that he should get some muscles because he was looking a little "fat". my instructor just ignored him. so he kept rambling and talking to my instructor now. he kept ignoring. so we got off the bus and this guy follwed us to the transfer and kept talking. he told him to just shut up already. the guy after talking some more took a swing adn sprained his wrist. we just kept walking.

That's funny how he sprained his wrist. Did he sprain it because he punched wrong? In any case, he got what he deserved. Unfortunately, once his wrist heals, he'll probably be back to his old antics.

Bryan

OP
T

tonbo

I saw a pin once that summed this kind of person up quite well. It said:

"I'm not real smart, but I can lift heavy things"

I think that the "muscle" these idiots need to work out most is their brain. There are quite a few intelligent weight lifters/body builders out there.....unfortunately, they don't seem to be the ones that get noticed. It's guys like the one that you encountered that seem to be the most popular.

Ah, well.

Peace--

OP
M

muayThaiPerson

he spraind his wrist because my instructor moved back and hit wrong

OP
M

MartialArtist

Big muscles means jack ***** about strength. Bodybuilding is a different science than strength training (powerlifting, Olympic lifting, etc.)

OP
M

muayThaiPerson

i agree. people often mistake wieght lifting from weight training. training is the use of weights as resistance to build muscle and strenght. lifting is just size and power

OP
K

Kenpo Wolf

Originally posted by muayThaiPerson

i agree. people often mistake wieght lifting from weight training. training is the use of weights as resistance to build muscle and strenght. lifting is just size and power

I think you're slighty confused as to what the terms weight training and weight lifting means. Weight training is the use of weights as excercise. Weight lifting is a generic term for both body building as well as power lifting. Here is the difference;

Body building is increasing muscle size or tone by lifting a medium weight for 10 to 15 reps. Even though they may seem and are strong, body builders are not as strong as people give them credit for.

Power lifting is increasing strength and muscle mass by lifting a heavy weight for 6 to 8 reps. Even though power lifters are strong, most of them don't use stretching excercises which slows them down greatly

I would advise anyone not to judge weight trainers of either type because some do cycle their training. In other words, a body builder will train for a few months, switch to a power lifting regimen for a couple, and then switch back.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by Kenpo Wolf

I think you're slighty confused as to what the terms weight training and weight lifting means. Weight training is the use of weights as excercise. Weight lifting is a generic term for both body building as well as power lifting. Here is the difference;

Body building is increasing muscle size or tone by lifting a medium weight for 10 to 15 reps. Even though they may seem and are strong, body builders are not as strong as people give them credit for.

Power lifting is increasing strength and muscle mass by lifting a heavy weight for 6 to 8 reps. Even though power lifters are strong, most of them don't use stretching excercises which slows them down greatly

I would advise anyone not to judge weight trainers of either type because some do cycle their training. In other words, a body builder will train for a few months, switch to a power lifting regimen for a couple, and then switch back.

While I agree in principle with what was said above you should never under or over estimate people's strength and speed based on what they look like or what they do.

Another kind of weight training is circuit training.
This kind of training uses medium weight resistance (40% to 60% of your max.), higher repetitions sustained for 1 minute intervals and less rest time (10~20 seconds) between several different weight stations. When I played Ice Hockey we used this kind of training. It builds anaerobic endurance like you wouldn't believe. I hated doing it but loved the results it produced.

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Just a quote.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight
But the size of the fight in the dog.

Your instructer was was wise & showed
self control.

I applaued him
:asian:
Primo

OP
A

Abbax8

There's a saying, " Better to remain silent and let people think you are fool, than to speak and confirm their suspicions"

Peace
Dennis

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by Kenpo Wolf

I agree.

However, there is no way to "tone" your muscles by lifting. Only cardio and diet will do that by shedding fat.

Actually, a lot of powerlifters (at the professional level) do stretch. As explosiveness and speed (not as in reflex but trying to exert as much force in as little time as possible) are related to flexibility, a lot of them do stretch. But most powerlifters as a group do not stretch.

Powerlifting has reps near 4-6. 6-8 is what bodybuilders do on their last sets as a lot of them use a pyramid.

One thing to add... Bodybuilders are fat for 8 months of the year. They shed all their fat down to around 6% and they are the weakest during competition time. Kinda ironic.

OP
M

MartialArtist

There's also Olympic lifting which requires good, quick, agile hips. Olympic lifts as in snatch, clean and jerk, etc. Olympic lifters (professional level) have a better vertical than a lot of high jumpers (collegiate) and can beat a lot of sprinters in a 20 yd. dash (professional level). Note I stress vertical jump like in basketball, not a jumper like you see int he Olympics. Some tried it but got beat by the jumpers in their style by at least six inches.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by MartialArtist

I agree.

However, there is no way to "tone" your muscles by lifting. Only cardio and diet will do that by shedding fat.

Actually lifting can greatly tone muscles. IT depends on how you lift. lower weight with many, many, reps can GREATLY increase tone and strength. In fact, most people who go to a personal training to tone up and lose weight end up lifting like that.

7sm

OP
R

RyuShiKan

I agree.

Actually they have found that weight lifting combined with cardio and diet will help you more than just cardio and diet since you burn of a lot of sugars and so on during muscle repair.

One thing to add... Bodybuilders are fat for 8 months of the year. They shed all their fat down to around 6% and they are the weakest during competition time. Kinda ironic.

Not really since they practically starve themselves to get their body fat down so low it would only seem natural to become weaker during that time.

Latest Discussions