Reaction score
You be the judge. Who won this match.

[yt]R3OgpLmtQuE[/yt]

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of it, she's playing sport tag. Moves in, scores a point, moves out. ProbablY "won" in that she scored more points. He never seemed comfortable closing the gap. But he took her down a couple times and clearly did more damage when he hit...

Overall... no winner. And not at all what it was billed as, either.

TKDTony2179

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It has been a while since I seen this but yea she is sport fighting but when you look at fighting from her stand point if you do Tag someone hard enough to knock them out you did a great job. Plus fighting is just tagging someone until they quit or knocked out and you not getting hit as much.

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes she is clearly sport point fighting, but not sue how staged it was other than someone telling the guy not to just go crazy and kill the girl. But just from the standpoint of using some rules to compete vs. one another, the female clearly is the more skilled person. The guy did not seem to understand how to close the gap and could not handle her in and out movement. Was fun to watch for me.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree; he didn't know how to close the gap on her. But my problem with her sport fighting approach is that she was getting in there to hit -- but not really hitting. That's actually the problem I have with a lot of the point game now. It's not about delivering solid, effective techniques -- it's about getting that hand or foot into the scoring zone first, with little emphasis on whether it'd be effective or not. I don't know the agreed on rules in this video -- but for all the times she hit him, he should have been rather unhappy, to say the least.

And he wasn't a street fighter; he was some sort of MMA-type of background.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
And he wasn't a street fighter; he was some sort of MMA-type of background.

It looked like his "MMA" training consisted of watching the UFC and then throwing kicks in front of the mirror. I've trained with amateur and professional MMA fighters and all of them would just roll their eyes at that guy. He didn't seem to know how to close the gap or strike his opponent as she came into range. For some reason whenever he would chase her down to try striking he kept trying some sort of ineffective jump kick. On several occasions when he got hold of her he was able to drag her to the ground (due to size, not technique), but he apparently had no clue about what to do once she was down.

Honestly, he would have been more effective if he had acted like a real street fighter and just tried to knock her head off every time she came in reach. However they seemed to have agreed on light-contact sparring, which he didn't know how to do so he just threw tentative kicks and awkward slaps.

The lady looked good at what she was doing, but it was definitely point sparring. Most of those punches would not have been tremendously effective on a guy that size in a actual fight. At least I can give her credit for enthusiasm, athleticism, and skill at her chosen sport.

TKDTony2179

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I watched the video again and I would say he took it easy on her. Once he had his hands on her she looked clueless and I would of just threw her legs to the side once she was on her back and ground and pound until she quit.

grumpywolfman

Black Belt
Reaction score
This was play time, with absolute zero intent; the guy should be wearing a shirt because the fight is so cold. The still frame of the sparring match before pressing the play button is a good summary of the entire video.

In the still frame you can see both individuals with guards dropped. The guy's legs are locked because he is simply walking towards her with no aggressive intentions, and missing every opportunity of her total lack of understanding of any resemblance of footwork; as she has once again, crossed her legs of the 50% of the time that her feet are actually in contact with the ground. A real street fighter in my opinion would simply bulldoze her over in a bull rush and ground and pound her into unconsciousness.

Who won the fight?

There wasn't one.

sopraisso

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sad as it is, today I'm very sorry for seeing people calling that tag game and set of techniques "karate". If you ask me to show you karate, I would show you something completely different, and surely something more aggressive and in closer range.

But if you asked me to "fight" with that girl, I would look very much like that guy lol. Heck, let's be serious - being quite bigger is already a radical advantage, and man vs woman is in most cases beyond acceptable. Even if she was a crazy girl in a no-rules setting I would still probably find it hard to be really aggressive to her. Obviously the guy didn't really fight the girl and actually I'm glad he didn't.

And yes, I'm with grumpywolfman: I couldn't say who won the fight because there wasn't a fight (fortunately).

Enviado de meu GT-I9300 usando Tapatalk 4

Latest Discussions