conflict of interest?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So 15 years from now I expect you will be saying the same thing about Javier Sanchez? "Yea, back then Javier could fight well into his 40s, but you know, competition just wasn't what it is today." You will be downplaying him just as you downplay some of the other guys? I would really love to see you do it. 15 years from now, go straight up to Javier Sanchez and say, "Hey man, you had a little bit of success, but you know, competition just wasn't though tough back then like it is now."

See man, unlike you, I have no problem objectively giving people credit for their accomplishments. Sanchez is a great fighter. Won AAU team trials, and had a really good showing at USAT team trials. And even more, he did it while being twice the age of some of those guys. What he does as far as his personal character goes is completely irrelevant to that. Sanchez is a nice guy. But would it make a difference if he wasn't? What if Sanchez acted just like Jean Lopez? Would that change the way you feel about him as a competitor?

Take Arnell for instance. The guy has had some clownish behavior issues for years. He finally pushed it too far and crossed over into legal issues. That is completely irrelevant to how he performs in the ring. Not once have I ever been watching Arnell fight and thought to myself, "dang, that guy is such a jerk, I'll be so happy if he loses."

Yes for the record if anybody acted in approbiate it would change my mind about them, TKD is more than fighting it is a way of life. Characture always counts and for the record I only had positive things to say about Javier, like he is an inspiation to all of us, where do you read something else into it?

Now as far as the Lopez goes never said did not like them, hell I have with ny famly sat down and had dinner with Jean and his wife. My son looks up to Steven and has since San Antonio years ago when he meet him. We all are entitle to our opinion about the level of competition years ago, even in my days competition was not like today, theyare bigger, faster and have more knowledge than we did. You really need to relax and stop trying to read more into what is said. I hope you have a better day :asian:

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In what way was it different? Are the players better now? Or did the rules differ in some way?

Daniel

Rules have change, the way the sport is played now compared to back than. The athletes now are faster, stronger and have more agility. I am not saying he was bad, just that I thought he had some people lookingout for him alot. Clicks was a big back than,if you was with the right group seem you always got the benefit of the doubt, just like in alot of sports including Football, Baseball and Basketball. Everybody knows certain level of competitors get that maginal call when other less name athlete will not. Lets be clear here in sports nothing is perfect but sometime the best do not always win or will always get the call, but they will be at the right place at the right time, if that makes any sense.

Daniel I have watched sport TKD for a longtime and have seen everything that is good bad or indifferent. I even have a son trying to make it onto the big board in the sky and if he does not get a call here and there it will not happen, luck and timing plays major roles in the sportside of TKD. I will probaly say the same thing to him 20 years from now the players are bigger, stronger and faster than when you played, just because they probaly will be and I am sure the rules will change over time.

Lets look at Football playoffs for a minute the rules have been changed in overtime for the playoffs why to make it a more levelplaying field they say but is it really? Now you ahve to factor in alot more than give me the ball so we can score because now the other team get a chance to compete even if you score. It is not bad or good but it is a factor in the evolution of football just like in TKD. It will evolve and grow and make changes and try to be fair but than again nothing is 100 percent fair to all parties no matter how we slice it.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I haven't watched it yet, but the fight video is there on Dartfish. You can get to it from the USAT main page. Having that video available helps the discussion.

OP
M

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I haven't watched it yet, but the fight video is there on Dartfish. You can get to it from the USAT main page. Having that video available helps the discussion.

They only posted one of marks 3 fights. Well edited too. There are two shown but they are the same. Let's get back on subject here. Should the nat coach be coaching anyone at trials? I say no!

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score

Care to post a direct link then? Particularly for outside US-ers that may not be as familiar with the USAT website or the people involved.

Fisk

White Belt
Reaction score
Care to post a direct link then? Particularly for outside US-ers that may not be as familiar with the USAT website or the people involved.

http://www.dartfish.tv/USAT will get you to the main page. if you click on "all videos" you should get four pages of videos. I saw there was two of the Curry vs Lopez fights posted in there.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
http://www.dartfish.tv/USAT will get you to the main page. if you click on "all videos" you should get four pages of videos. I saw there was two of the Curry vs Lopez fights posted in there.

We shouldn't be posting our team trials on the internet. Now any country can scout our team and they have five months to prepare tailored responses to our stuff.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We shouldn't be posting our team trials on the internet. Now any country can scout our team and they have five months to prepare tailored responses to our stuff.
Interesting point...does any other country do this? Also, couldn't they fish back and find other footage of our members fighting besides Team Trials?

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

I say post them to reduce the price of the tapes at the international black market and avoid enriching a few people.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In what way was it different? Are the players better now? Or did the rules differ in some way?

Daniel

Rules have changed! The EBP's have changed the game significantly! I have been following
Sport TKD since 2002. The quality of the athlete has increased 2 fold!

Over the next 4 years athlete quality will triple! The young kids 10-13 are amazing!!!!

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Oh god, I feel like such an idiot having to continuously defend the Lopezs of all people.

Jean Lopez won silver in the 1995 world championships and gold at the 1994 Pan Am games.

And competition back then not like it is today? Sure, the competition level is always increasing, and looking back on 15 or 20 years ago some of it looks silly. But I don't understand why you choose to downplay the success of Jean Lopez. I see Jimmy Kim and Arlene Limas brought up around her all the time, and each time nothing but respect and admiration for their accomplishments is given, and not once have I ever heard anyone say, "Yea, well back when Arlene won at the Olympics the competition wasn't what it is today"

Seriously man. . . What is with you guys and your efforts to downplay others success simply because you have personal issues with them?

Jean was very successful as a fighter! Steve, Mark and D. Lopez are great fighters!

I am not impressed with Jean as a trainer. He has not developed any athletes other than his siblings! Peter, Chris, Pano ETC...all went to Elite after they were great fighters. His school has imploded!

I wan't to see the great fighter Steven Lopez fight at the US Open.

I don't want him to fight at multiple tournaments just a great tune up event(US Open) as stated by the much loved President of the USAT David Askinas.

BTW are you going to attend the US Open I am sure your buddy Steven will be there selling some useless product again and not fighting. You could buy something!

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I say post them to reduce the price of the tapes at the international black market and avoid enriching a few people.

Ok, that's your point of view. How about if you were the athlete who made team? How would you feel about the idea that your international competition has the most recent game film of you and will no doubt study those films and come up with a strategy to defeat you, especially if you are a first time team member and there might not be any footage of you out there.

If I were an active coach, I would be telling all my athletes (and their parents) to not put up any video of you in competition, not on youtube or anywhere else. It might make you feel good to be out there, but all it does is give ammunition to the other side about your tendencies and style, which can only hurt you in the long run.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If scouting is such a major deal -- I would suspect that most of these other teams have people there already, filming their major competitors.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
If scouting is such a major deal -- I would suspect that most of these other teams have people there already, filming their major competitors.

Sure, competitors are filming during international events, and that is expected. But in my opinion, our national organization shouldn't be making it so easy. They want film on our team members, then let them get it the hard way. I don't think there were too many foreign representatives at our team trials, if any.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sure, competitors are filming during international events, and that is expected. But in my opinion, our national organization shouldn't be making it so easy. They want film on our team members, then let them get it the hard way. I don't think there were too many foreign representatives at our team trials, if any.
I suppose it is all a part of a sport becoming popular. If they were tennis players, golfers, footballers or cricketers they would have videos of them splashed all over the place and foreign reps watching their every move. It is probably just the natural evolution of the sport I guess.

OP
M

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The athletes signed yes/no on waiver to have video on internet. Many declined.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I suppose it is all a part of a sport becoming popular. If they were tennis players, golfers, footballers or cricketers they would have videos of them splashed all over the place and foreign reps watching their every move. It is probably just the natural evolution of the sport I guess.

Either that, or our National Association simply did not think about the needs of our athletes, when it made the decision to allow all of our team trial matches to be broadcast over the internet. If I were in charge of USAT, I would have never allowed this, and I don't think too many of the senior coaches would allow it either. Why hand our competitors game film of pretty much all of our best athletes on a silver platter? It makes no sense, unless somehow USAT is getting money for it. Then it would make a lot of sense as to why they are doing it.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
sure, competitors are filming during international events, and that is expected. But in my opinion, our national organization shouldn't be making it so easy. They want film on our team members, then let them get it the hard way. I don't think there were too many foreign representatives at our team trials, if any.

100 % agree

Latest Discussions