conflict of interest?

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
After watching mark win his spot, if you want to call what happened a win, some guy asked me why the nat team head coach was coaching at team trials. After thinking about it my answer was "dunno". Am I the ony one who feels that there is a conflict of interest? What if mark had lost (which he should have)? Would jean still coach the winner with the same go getem attitude?
For those whe were not there, t.curry won one, mark won two. The judging was biased and EVERYONE was booing mark, jean and the judges. There were 4 head shots not counted for curry and 2 for mark that should not have scored but did. DOWN WITH THE CHEATERS!!!!

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
After watching mark win his spot, if you want to call what happened a win, some guy asked me why the nat team head coach was coaching at team trials. After thinking about it my answer was "dunno". Am I the ony one who feels that there is a conflict of interest? What if mark had lost (which he should have)?

President Sang Chul LEE, who was the US National Team head coach from 1979-88, never coached at US National events, not even his own students. He said that it was an appearance of impropriety if he as the National team coach sat in the chair of anyone at national events.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
After watching mark win his spot, if you want to call what happened a win, some guy asked me why the nat team head coach was coaching at team trials. After thinking about it my answer was "dunno". Am I the ony one who feels that there is a conflict of interest? What if mark had lost (which he should have)? Would jean still coach the winner with the same go getem attitude?
For those whe were not there, t.curry won one, mark won two. The judging was biased and EVERYONE was booing mark, jean and the judges. There were 4 head shots not counted for curry and 2 for mark that should not have scored but did. DOWN WITH THE CHEATERS!!!!

I have been screaming at the top of the mountain for 6 years that Jean and Juan's involvement are a conflict of interest. Everyone knows it !!!! Except for a few recent posters...You know who you are!!!!!

I can't comment on the TJ Curry fight because I did not attend! That doesn't change the fact the Jean and Juan should not be National Team coaches. That position should be done away with!!!! The athlete should be coached by there regular coach at International
Events! We pay Juan and Jean 160k per year. That is more than enough to cover the expenses for sending multiple coaches!

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
President Sang Chul LEE, who was the US National Team head coach from 1979-88, never coached at US National events, not even his own students. He said that it was an appearance of impropriety if he as the National team coach sat in the chair of anyone at national events.

Sang Lee got that one right!!!!!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Atleast he showed some Intrigrity in doing that, more than we can say now days.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score

If you ever have the chance to get to know President Lee, you would realize that he always shows integrity. I'll give you another example. Back when people were attempting to attack him, he was reported to the IRS on allegations of tax evasion. The IRS conducted an audit of President Lee and concluded that he was entitled to a $1500 refund because he over paid on his taxes. I asked him about that and he said that as a public figure he didn't want to be taken down by that sort of thing so he always told his accountant to be very conservative on his tax returns and to pay more, not less, if in doubt. That sort of thing.

I admit that I was a little intimidated by him when I was younger but as I got to know him I understood why he was able to accomplish the things that he has. The difference between President Lee and others is that he has a vision for the future and works hard to see that vision through.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Its a very sorry state of affairs when a successful athlete is being booed in his own country, it really shows just how bad it has got. I cant ever recall a successful aussie athlete being booed in this country, Im sure its happened but just like this situation it shows just how messy the whole thing has become. In most countries successful olympic athletes are treated like royalty, not booed.

OP
M

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The booing was gererated mainly because points should have scored but didn't. At one point mark was nailed, headgear spun, and no points scored. After the 3rd one it got bad. Everyore was booing how biased the judging was.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
some guy asked me why the nat team head coach was coaching at team trials.

I'm not sure whether I'm completely decided about whether this should happen or not... I can understand President Lee doing it when he was National Coach to avoid the appearance of impropriety - however, I wonder whether it's actually improper or not.

I would say it depends whether the National Coach still coaches his home club or whether the National Coach is a fulltime position that means he has stepped down from his home club during the period of his employment.

What if mark had lost (which he should have)? Would jean still coach the winner with the same go getem attitude?

From reading the Lopez's book Family Power I seem to remember there was a situation where Diana was beaten at Team Trials and it seemed (from the admittedly biased opinion of the book's authors) that he did coach her replacement with the same attitude (and berated Diana at one point for not behaving properly about it). I can't remember the details, but I can try to scan through that book again if anyone wants me to try and find it.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
That doesn't change the fact the Jean and Juan should not be National Team coaches. That position should be done away with!!!! The athlete should be coached by there regular coach at International
Events! We pay Juan and Jean 160k per year. That is more than enough to cover the expenses for sending multiple coaches!

Disclaimer: I don't particularly know/care for Jean or Juan (as I'm not US-based), so this opinion is purely about having a National Team Coach position.

I think it's important that there is a National Team Coach. I'd argue that it's often a fulltime job in keeping your current skills up to date, travelling internationally to improve your skills, scouting talent (*), etc. And it's better to have a single person (or seemingly two in USAT's case?) do this rather than the coach of every player who makes the team each year.

It's not just about the cost of expenses sending multiple coaches to major internationals, if the National Coach is doing their job they should be constantly learning, planning, analysing and training the team. It should be a fulltime job, away from the pressures of a "normal" day job or running a dojang.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score

Assuming you aren't talking about the IRS issue which Puunui has provided details on, can you be more specific on what he's done recently that isn't showing integrity? I'm non-US-based so please don't assume I know anything about these situations.

Just interested.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Assuming you aren't talking about the IRS issue which Puunui has provided details on, can you be more specific on what he's done recently that isn't showing integrity? I'm non-US-based so please don't assume I know anything about these situations.

Just interested.

Was not talking about President LEE with the last part, that was more of a dig toward the new regrim at USAT and will leave it at that. I can see where my post might have implied otherwise toward President LEE and if anybody tookit that way I apologies.:asian:

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, was jean a successful tkdist in his day or has he always been a coach? Excuse my ignorance but I really know nothing about competitive tkd except for what I read here.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, was jean a successful tkdist in his day or has he always been a coach? Excuse my ignorance but I really know nothing about competitive tkd except for what I read here.

I understood he was semi-successful, not as much as his brothers but competed with the national team, placed well at nationals, etc.

It's in their Family Power book.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score

He had some success but remember back then the competition was not like today.

texkwondo

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Oh god, I feel like such an idiot having to continuously defend the Lopezs of all people.

Jean Lopez won silver in the 1995 world championships and gold at the 1994 Pan Am games.

And competition back then not like it is today? Sure, the competition level is always increasing, and looking back on 15 or 20 years ago some of it looks silly. But I don't understand why you choose to downplay the success of Jean Lopez. I see Jimmy Kim and Arlene Limas brought up around her all the time, and each time nothing but respect and admiration for their accomplishments is given, and not once have I ever heard anyone say, "Yea, well back when Arlene won at the Olympics the competition wasn't what it is today"

Seriously man. . . What is with you guys and your efforts to downplay others success simply because you have personal issues with them?

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I will say the exact same thing about Jummy Kim and Arlene Limas they had some succes, well maybe a little more than Jean but still the competition was not like today. With that being said Dianna and Steven and Mark have been at the top with some of the best competition for a while now, Steven maybe getting a little slower but that comes with age. If you want to talk about people that have made an inpact over the last two years look at Javier he is forty and able to keep up with this young crowd, he is an amazing inspiration to all that is getting a little older and slower.

One last thing everybody here is entitle to there opinion on this board, so even though you may get upset about what people write it is there opinion on this subject.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I admit that I was a little intimidated by him when I was younger but as I got to know him I understood why he was able to accomplish the things that he has. The difference between President Lee and others is that he has a vision for the future and works hard to see that vision through.

I couldn't agree with this more. Not only does he work hard, but he is a very charismatic and humble person. When we were on our trip to Korea we were at a resturaunt. Many people there were not sure what to do when the food came as it was their first trip. Pres. Lee got up went to inidividual tables and seved the food to people or poured them a drink.

It got to the point that myself and a couple other juniors asked them to please sit down and enoy his food and we could take care of anyone that needed help. He told us to not worry and enjoy ourselves. He was like that the whole trip.

texkwondo

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I will say the exact same thing about Jummy Kim and Arlene Limas they had some succes, well maybe a little more than Jean but still the competition was not like today. With that being said Dianna and Steven and Mark have been at the top with some of the best competition for a while now, Steven maybe getting a little slower but that comes with age. If you want to talk about people that have made an inpact over the last two years look at Javier he is forty and able to keep up with this young crowd, he is an amazing inspiration to all that is getting a little older and slower.

One last thing everybody here is entitle to there opinion on this board, so even though you may get upset about what people write it is there opinion on this subject.

So 15 years from now I expect you will be saying the same thing about Javier Sanchez? "Yea, back then Javier could fight well into his 40s, but you know, competition just wasn't what it is today." You will be downplaying him just as you downplay some of the other guys? I would really love to see you do it. 15 years from now, go straight up to Javier Sanchez and say, "Hey man, you had a little bit of success, but you know, competition just wasn't though tough back then like it is now."

See man, unlike you, I have no problem objectively giving people credit for their accomplishments. Sanchez is a great fighter. Won AAU team trials, and had a really good showing at USAT team trials. And even more, he did it while being twice the age of some of those guys. What he does as far as his personal character goes is completely irrelevant to that. Sanchez is a nice guy. But would it make a difference if he wasn't? What if Sanchez acted just like Jean Lopez? Would that change the way you feel about him as a competitor?

Take Arnell for instance. The guy has had some clownish behavior issues for years. He finally pushed it too far and crossed over into legal issues. That is completely irrelevant to how he performs in the ring. Not once have I ever been watching Arnell fight and thought to myself, "dang, that guy is such a jerk, I'll be so happy if he loses."

Last edited:

Latest Discussions