• First Aid only

• CPR only

• Both

• Neither

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kenpobldr

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have just the CPR but have not done the first aid yet. I also have completed the 10 hour OSHA certification, but I need that for work.

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Fluffy said:
Was there any final decision on how to find the commpression point on an adult? Via the side - accross the chest (First Responder) or up the stomach past the solar plexus (sp) (Red Cross). This is a point I'd like to have final clarification on.

I was taught to place two fingers below the breastbone to find the compression point, which I think is the Red Cross standard (I'll check later when I get home from work).

splazzatch

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I teach from the Red Cross to place your ring finger in the notch above the solar plexus and then put your middle and index finger down and place your other palm next to the index finger...that is the compression point.

OP
Fluffy

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
splazzatch said:
I teach from the Red Cross to place your ring finger in the notch above the solar plexus and then put your middle and index finger down and place your other palm next to the index finger...that is the compression point.

3 different ways......as long as well all get there.

Aqua4ever

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've got both, work at a summer camp in the summer so I need it
Good to have, even just as confidence to yourself
Aqua

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Two fingers above the notch at the bottom of the sternum (xiphoid process). I believe that is changing, has been changed to the nipple line, which would eliminate some of the confusion.

Suntail

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I can do CPR, but luckily have never needed it. I've never been trained in first aid outside of scouts and my summer job (camp for diabetic kids). Where can I go for training?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
jdinca said:
Two fingers above the notch at the bottom of the sternum (xiphoid process). I believe that is changing, has been changed to the nipple line, which would eliminate some of the confusion.

My last class taught nipple line, with the caveat for certain body types whose nipples might be well, anywhere....

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
I am certified thru PADI, the Professional Association of Diving Instructors, but am in need of a refresher.

I actually think that is superior to the basic Red Cross courses (not that they are bad, of course). My last instructor was a Master Diver Instructor as well as Flotilla Commander and Coxswain in the Coast Guard Auxiliary and he was able to add quite a bit of information and real world experience that I didn't get in my other courses. One thing particularly I remember him telling us was to ask first when approaching a scene: "How did this person become injured, and am I in danger myself from the same thing? A first responder is worse than useless if they become incapacitated themselves."

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Former infantry sergeant. These are among the core skills for a rifleman. Also had several updating courses when I was a 2.lt in the technical corps, when I went to electrical engineering school and at the dojo. Several of the people I train with are nurses, doctors or the like. It is a little strange tough that the "correct" way to do CPR keeps changing.

scottcatchot

Green Belt
Reaction score
Actually, I your post made me check my cert and it is up. SO I am not certified due to needing to recert,. Thanks for reminder.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
A long time ago, I used to be both. I need and want to re-certify- thanks for the link.

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I was first trained when i was a life guard and then through my job as a personal trainer, since moving to portugal my qualification has lapsed, but there is a new nurse starting at the school my wife works at who will be able to re test and qualify me.

Its very important and stuff you never really forget, though the methods change regularly

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I voted both, but strictly speaking that isn't quite accurate, since my qualifications are out of date, and I missed the most recent course at work.
Doesn't mean I'd stand back and watch someone in distress though...

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I remember when I was smaller, watching two guys spar and one of them spin kick the other in the face, only thing was the heel of his foot landed on the other's neck and realizing how important CPR was.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Both here. We hold CPR classes annually and First aid every two years for our staff. This year we also included using the AED.