• First Aid only

• CPR only

• Both

• Neither

Results are only viewable after voting.

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am Red Cross CPR and First Aid certified as well as a certified Seattle FD fisrt responder. My wife is (was, needs to be recertified) and EMT. I can't stress how immportant it is to be able to help out in a bad situation. And with the arts we have chosen, a situation will arise eventually.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Both, and I just signed up for my Wildnerness First Responder training last week. I've been an initial responder on two vehicle accidents in the last two years, that just made me want better training (and gear!)

Lamont

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
Fluffy said:
I am Red Cross CPR and First Aid certified as well as a certified Seattle FD fisrt responder. My wife is (was, needs to be recertified) and EMT. I can't stress how immportant it is to be able to help out in a bad situation. And with the arts we have chosen, a situation will arise eventually.
I was a Scoutmaster for years, and had to have both, but I have maintained a level of competence in 1st aid since I was a youth in Scouts. And it's funny how often I've had to use it in sudden emergency situations.

I've had so many instances where an emergency has happened and everyone around just freezes.

In college I saw a kid chasing a frisbee run thru a glass door. He was bleeding profusely, and everyone just stood there.

I was in a health club lifting weights and a guy in a nearby raquetball court had a heart attack......No one around but me and his partner....time for CPR

I was in Hawaii and an elderly man almost drowned while a crowd stood around yelling at each other to call 911. Again, CPR and treatment for shock.

These are just a few of many things that have happened around me over the years.....when you least expect it.

I've actually thought about being trained as an EMT, but am unfamiliar with a "first responder". What is that, and how do you train for it?

Since I always seem to stumble onto accident scenes, I feel like I should learn more.......

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Martial Tucker said:
I've actually thought about being trained as an EMT, but am unfamiliar with a "first responder". What is that, and how do you train for it?

First Responder training is an intermediate step between first aid and EMT training. Training is about 40 hourse, an example of a First Responder curriculum is here:
http://www.ems.ohio.gov/Education/FR curriculum04.pdf
Wilderness First Responder is a bit different, because the assumption is that you must maintain treatment beyond the golden hour. Training is about 80 hours, an example of a Wilderness First Responder curriculum is:
http://www.wildmed.com/course_fact_sheets/wfr_facts.html

Lamont

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
Blindside said:
First Responder training is an intermediate step between first aid and EMT training. Training is about 40 hourse, an example of a First Responder curriculum is here:
http://www.ems.ohio.gov/Education/FR%20curriculum04.pdf
Wilderness First Responder is a bit different, because the assumption is that you must maintain treatment beyond the golden hour. Training is about 80 hours, an example of a Wilderness First Responder curriculum is:
http://www.wildmed.com/course_fact_sheets/wfr_facts.html

Lamont

Perfect! Thanks for the info!

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
lets see i worked ambulance in Anaheim, ca for over ten years and now I still keep my certs up (its required by my new job) so
both

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The department paid for the first responder training..All are cruisers are fully equipted with first aid kits,oxygen and an AED too..We sometimes beat the Rescue Squads to calls..

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I help teach MA at a college & had to certify there this year as part of the rec center program.

Cujo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Adult, child and infant cpr. Certified for A.E.D. I was an EMT but my cert. has expired.

Pax
Cujo

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I got certified as a First Responder (advanced first aid/cpr) while a volunteer for the Coast Guard. Our division put it on and the training was very worthwhile and more in depth than the basic first aid stuff we got in crew training.

I also took a full semester class in college in Advanced First Aid and CPR, but that was twenty years ago. Periodically, I've taken Red Cross Standard First Aid/CPR which is basic good information but less than First Responder and FAR less than EMT.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
CPR/First Aid qualified. Part of my last qualification was also a chapter on chemical spills and poisonous snake bites :erg:

I work on a University campus and it was mandatory for us to take that part in conjuntion with the CPR course. I doubt I will ever come across a chemical spill or a poisonous snake as I work at an orthodox seminary that is located on the university, but I guess one can never be too safe! :D

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am certified in both CPR and First Aid - my association (YomChi TKD) requires all instructors to be certified in both, and provides opportunties for instructors to take the classes at association events; I last updated my certification at our TKD camp last summer.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lisa said:
CPR/First Aid qualified. Part of my last qualification was also a chapter on chemical spills and poisonous snake bites :erg:

I work on a University campus and it was mandatory for us to take that part in conjuntion with the CPR course. I doubt I will ever come across a chemical spill or a poisonous snake as I work at an orthodox seminary that is located on the university, but I guess one can never be too safe! :D

That's funny. :)

I had to take an Operations Workshop on chemical spills in the Auxiliary - but we did encounter them.

On a different point, some martial arts orgs. require instructors to be certified in First Aid/CPR. Personally, I think all martial artists should be at some point.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Fire Captain, EMT, CPR, former paramedic, 24 years and counting. :)

CPR is down to a 3 hour class and it's only $30. There's no reason we shouldn't all be CPR certified, especially the instructors. :wink:

Consider it the yin and yang of martial arts. In some systems, one of the degrees of BB has to do with healing arts.

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm certified in both CPR (adult, child and infant) and First Aid. Very useful to know, especially when working with children.

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
im certified in cpr and first aid...but i do believe its time to re-certify as they have made some changes to the cpr method now......giving more focus to chest compressions over respiration.

OP
Fluffy

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Cujo said:
Adult, child and infant cpr. Certified for A.E.D. I was an EMT but my cert. has expired.

Pax
Cujo

Infant CPR is something I've been avoiding.....need to get it done!