Gonna brag on my sensei for a minute

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A few weeks ago, my sensei was an honored guest and a judge at a local karate competition. While he was judging an adult black belt kata division, one of the karateka performed his kata and passed out. It turned out he had suffered cardiac arrest. He was not breathing and his heart had stopped. My sensei, who is certified in CPR, immediately got involved, and working with two medical doctors who were present, applied CPR with compressions and breathing and eventually defib, until paramedics arrived.

The karateka who was injured was transported to hospital where he underwent emergency open heart surgery and a triple-bypass operation. He was able to attend our dojo last night where he expressed his thanks to our sensei for saving his life.

My sensei is a 9th dan Isshinryu instructor, with nearly 50 years of experience. He was personally trained under two first-generation students of our founder. He is a commercial pilot. He owns several successful businesses. He has a Master's degree and a PhD in Business Administration, and he teaches at a local University. He volunteers his time as an officer in the Civil Air Patrol. That is all in addition to running a successful dojo for more than 30 years.

I'm just a student. I volunteer some of my time to help teach the kids and the new adult students. I'm coming up on ten years of training pretty soon now; it's been a blast. I thank my lucky stars for where I've managed to end up. Would not trade it for the world.

On a side note; I will be signing up for CPR training. I've had certification over the years, but it's expired currently. I'd recommend everyone getting that training. You never know when you may be called on to save a life!

CPR, First Aid and AED Certification | Red Cross

Last edited:

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
A few weeks ago, my sensei was an honored guest and a judge at a local karate competition. While he was judging an adult black belt kata division, one of the karateka performed his kata and passed out. It turned out he had suffered cardiac arrest. He was not breathing and his heart had stopped. My sensei, who is certified in CPR, immediately got involved, and working with two medical doctors who were present, applied CPR with compressions and breathing and eventually defib, until paramedics arrived.

So kata competition really is killing karate....

Sorry couldn't resist......awsome story though.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So kata competition really is killing karate....

Sorry couldn't resist......awsome story though.

We were teasing him in the dojo last night - so, other than that, how did you do in the tournament? Our sensei laughed and said, yes, they did judge his performance; technically he did complete it, as he passed out after bowing out.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
We were teasing him in the dojo last night - so, other than that, how did you do in the tournament? Our sensei laughed and said, yes, they did judge his performance; technically he did complete it, as he passed out after bowing out.

I heard he killed it.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, no one can say he didn't give that competition everything he had!

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't know why but this reminded me of something I read In a martial art magazine a while ago. It's actually a really sad story, a guy was testing for his black belt in taekwondo did the test then went to the waiting area for them to deliberate and died while he was waiting from a heart attack and he was awarded his black belt by his instructor at the funeral. Really don't know why that came into my mind

hilly1981

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It's actually a really sad story, a guy was testing for his black belt in taekwondo did the test then went to the waiting area for them to deliberate and died while he was waiting from a heart attack and he was awarded his black belt by his instructor at the funeral.

Yes I remember reading about this a while ago. Here is the article - Patrick 'Paddy' Timoney: Taekwondo champion drops dead during competition in front of horrified wife | Daily Mail Online

So sad...

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's a sad story but that's not the one I'm talking about the one I read wasn't a news article it was someone's letter to the magazine and it was during a belt promotion best not a competition and it happened after he'd finished and was waiting for the panel to decide if he'd passed or not

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know Bill has posted this idea before, but another good time to reiterate it. If you study martial arts for "Self-Defense" and to "protect your family", then you better study and get certified in CPR and AED usage, how to use an epi-pen, signs of a stroke..ya know basic medical/life saving skills. You are far more likely to need basic medical skills than your fisticuffs.

BTW, Congrats to your instructor on his fast thinking and skills.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't everyone know CPR?

I mean, that's BCLS.... basic cardiac life support. No meds, oxygen support, nothing. Everyone should know that by now....

(I know they don't. I'm just trying, vainly and with ill-concealed sarcasm, to indicate that it literally takes 15 minutes of concentration with a good instructor to learn CPR and I betcha 90% of folks in the States don't know how to do it.)

Latest Discussions