• Neither

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
Fluffy

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
I got certified as a First Responder (advanced first aid/cpr) while a volunteer for the Coast Guard. Our division put it on and the training was very worthwhile and more in depth than the basic first aid stuff we got in crew training.

I also took a full semester class in college in Advanced First Aid and CPR, but that was twenty years ago. Periodically, I've taken Red Cross Standard First Aid/CPR which is basic good information but less than First Responder and FAR less than EMT.

My wife is a reserve puddle jumper (9 years active) that's where she got her EMT certification out of Alaska. If I were to do it all over I'd go CG over Army.........but don't tell my wife I said that.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Former paramedic here, so both. I keep everything current (for some unkown reason).

7sm

splazzatch

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I am a certified First Aid/CPR/AED Instructor. I currently teach with my church and with my work. I have thought about going for EMT training and riding with the ambulance service.

OP
Fluffy

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
BlackCatBonz said:
the course i took included infant cpr.

I was certified, I let it laps. I just have never been comfortable with it, but part of the first responder certification requires infant CPR.....I'm just not looking forward to the course.

OP
Fluffy

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
splazzatch said:
I am a certified First Aid/CPR/AED Instructor. I currently teach with my church and with my work. I have thought about going for EMT training and riding with the ambulance service.

Red Cross?

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't have certification, but I have been trained. I have been through the First Responder's course. :) I trained in extrication, first aid, cpr, delivering babies, etc. ;) Of course, I am way over due to for some recurrency training.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
BlackCatBonz said:
im certified in cpr and first aid...but i do believe its time to re-certify as they have made some changes to the cpr method now......giving more focus to chest compressions over respiration.

There are changes every couple of years. You're correct in that compressions are getting more attention than breaths. The dispatcher CPR directions just radically changed.

OP
Fluffy

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
You can count on major changes about every two years, mostly protocol.....your manuals should remain your mainstay, in regards to the basics.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm certified in CPR as part of my job. Since I work w/ kids, ya never know when it'll come in handy.

splazzatch

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I believe the new red cross changes will take affect in February or March. they are changing the rates of breath to compression from 1 breath then 15 compression to the new rate of 2 breaths then 30 compressions. They are also redoing the old movies from the 80's to be new and up to date on DVD.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Martial Tucker said:
I was a Scoutmaster for years, and had to have both, but I have maintained a level of competence in 1st aid since I was a youth in Scouts. And it's funny how often I've had to use it in sudden emergency situations.
<snip>
I've had so many instances where an emergency has happened and everyone around just freezes.
[/QUOTE.]
Seems you happen to always be at the right place at the right time, at least for those you've helped. With people shocking and freeziing up during those "seconds count" moments it's a good thing that there was at least someone (you) was around who put their training into action.
People are apparently not as de-sensitized as those against violence in the media say they are. Lots of people "freeze-up" because it's real and the blood is real and that makes it (for them) surreal. Another reason (alibet probably a small one) that folks "freeze" is fear of liability. Do something to help and save their life and be a hero. Do something to help and hurt them more (but saving their life anyway, pulling someone out of a burning car and finding out you compounded their back injury doing so...) and a hungry lawyer comes to the surface. So some folks are more scared of litigation than they are of helping someone in need.
Marshall Tucker said:
I've actually thought about being trained as an EMT, but am unfamiliar with a "first responder". What is that, and how do you train for it?
I am a first responder and so is basically anyone else who is the first to respond to the scene. My training for that however specifically covers items that are necessary prior to the actual first aiding. 1. Securing the scene; making sure that there are no further dangers to injure you and others, including the victim. 2. Selecting one person to make the 911 call instead of (as you've experienced) a dozen people screaming for the same thing. 3. The commencement of first aid.
My SAR group had this training when I was an active member several years ago... (they still do). It was given by a qualified instructor with the local fire-department. You may want to inquire there to start.
As martial artists it benefits us to take both CPR and First-Aid. For instructors (IMO) it's a must! The "you never know" scenario can and will rear it's ugly head during classes.
:asian:

T

TheBattousai

I was certified in both (I need to check the CPR), but that was for back when I thought of becoming an EMT myself. Unfortunetly, it didn't work out, because of the little pay in the area and I couldn't handle child birth. It is good to know both though for practical reasons in and outside of a dojo.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am certified thru PADI, the Professional Association of Diving Instructors, but am in need of a refresher.

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
splazzatch said:
I believe the new red cross changes will take affect in February or March. they are changing the rates of breath to compression from 1 breath then 15 compression to the new rate of 2 breaths then 30 compressions. They are also redoing the old movies from the 80's to be new and up to date on DVD.

Huh...the last time I got my certification renewed (summer 2005), it was 2 breaths followed 15 compressions for adults, and 1 breath followed by 5 compressions for children and infants. That was the way it has been all the times I took my recertification. I just think it'll be hard to keep track of 30 compressions, as opposed to 15.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
jdinca said:
CPR is down to a 3 hour class and it's only $30. There's no reason we shouldn't all be CPR certified, especially the instructors

Amen..

OP
Fluffy

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
splazzatch said:

Was there any final decision on how to find the commpression point on an adult? Via the side - accross the chest (First Responder) or up the stomach past the solar plexus (sp) (Red Cross). This is a point I'd like to have final clarification on.