white gi vs black gi

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
i know in kenpo we wear the black gi but how would you feel if one of your students took it upon himself to wear a white gi , would it bother you would it depend on his rank ?

after so many years of wearing a black gi with out asking questions i jumped into a white one for the first time and it felt a lil on the traditional side , i wear a white gi in judo but thats diffrent in a way cause it ways a ton.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I would have to kill him, deviation from the standard uniform code is simply inexcusable.

J Ellis

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have my students begin wearing a white gi. They become eligible to wear the black gi at Purple belt. Mixing and matching only happens at black belt.

I have two reasons for assigning white gis to new students:

1) White gis are acceptable in most MA schools. If a new student quits for whatever reason, they have a uniform they can probably use elsewhere. Black gis, however, are not allowed everywhere.
2) The black gi becomes a rite of passage, a mark of distinction as one passes from the beginner to an intermediate stage.

If I had to add a third reason, I would say this:

3) A white belt on a black gi looks silly.

Joel

Milt G.

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

Traditionally, in Kenpo, all started with white gi's. You were allowed to wear the black gi at Shodan level. You could mix and match (white or black) at that point as well.

Everything, it seems, has become more lax of late. You see many different uniform colors and styles. Most often, these days, Kenpo practitioners of all levels wear the all black gi.

Well, it does hide the blood better. :)

Thank you,
Milt G.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, In our school...NO one is allow to wear a White Gi...unless there first time or waiting for there Black gi to arrive...

Normally we tell them to wear gym type clothes...T-shirts and pants till uniform come in.

Our Professor is very strict on this....( our schools only).

Aloha,

PS: It makes it nicer to see everyone wearing the same colors and styles of uniforms...for formally purposes..

underwear- your choice here!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that choice of underwear or whether to chose to wear it lol?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi,

I hope it was "choice" of what to wear...
Of course, some of the arts can be considered "commando" arts. :)

Thanks,
Milt G.

Excellent!!

:roflmao:

Thanks Milt I needed that :) :)

mwd0818

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have my students begin wearing a white gi. They become eligible to wear the black gi at Purple belt. Mixing and matching only happens at black belt.

I have two reasons for assigning white gis to new students:

1) White gis are acceptable in most MA schools. If a new student quits for whatever reason, they have a uniform they can probably use elsewhere. Black gis, however, are not allowed everywhere.
2) The black gi becomes a rite of passage, a mark of distinction as one passes from the beginner to an intermediate stage.

If I had to add a third reason, I would say this:

3) A white belt on a black gi looks silly.

Joel

Joel - my tradition as well. As for uniform, I also break classes up - Purple Belts and up are considered Intermediate/Advanced students, so they are in one class. White - Orange are Beginners and wear white. Option is for the student to wear black or white after purple, mixing colors is fine after Black. Although different color uniforms (red, blue) are reserved for upper Black Belt ranks (usually 3rd+). Lavendar and fuscia uniforms are reserved for Black Belts with enough skill that you no longer ask them about their uniforms. :)

Is that choice of underwear or whether to chose to wear it lol?

Only with Black Uniforms . . . very dark, very opaque, black uniforms . . .

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hello,

Traditionally, in Kenpo, all started with white gi's. You were allowed to wear the black gi at Shodan level. You could mix and match (white or black) at that point as well.

Everything, it seems, has become more lax of late. You see many different uniform colors and styles. Most often, these days, Kenpo practitioners of all levels wear the all black gi.

Well, it does hide the blood better. :)

Thank you,
Milt G.

Are we referring to traditional Kenpo or EPAK?

Because in EPAK, I thought black was "traditional". The reason being that black represents a break with a "pure" (white) traditional style, thus, you have a mixed (black) style. EPAK is supposed to be renegade, not a pure style. It would be improper therefore for an EPAK practitioner to wear white.

mwd0818

Green Belt
Reaction score

Because in EPAK, I thought black was "traditional". The reason being that black represents a break with a "pure" (white) traditional style, thus, you have a mixed (black) style. EPAK is supposed to be renegade, not a pure style. It would be improper therefore for an EPAK practitioner to wear white.

I believe in the early early days, Mr. Parker's students did wear white until Shodan. I think some of the Seniors who were around during the day would be able to clarify.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
I believe in the early early days, Mr. Parker's students did wear white until Shodan. I think some of the Seniors who were around during the day would be able to clarify.

In the early days everyone wore white uniforms. The black uniform was introduced as part of the commercialization of the art for various reasons. One of those reasons was to give students an incentive, and the black uniform was "available" to everyone to wear at brown according to the published guidelines. Another reason was based on teaching requirements at the brown belt level. The black uniform gave the illusion of many teachers on the floor, and made a distinction between "assistant instructors/instructors," and lower division students. For most the distinction of wearing a black uniform was a big deal. However Mr. Parker never demanded anyone follow any of his guidelines. Therefore many "old schoolers" preferred to stay in white, most notably Mr. Bob White's Crew who always took a lot of pride in their well groomed sparkling white uniforms, as they beat the crap out of you in competition.

Many tails have been spun about various so-called traditions, but most of the reasons were very pragmatic at their roots. I recall someone asking in a group about why the belt knot is worn on one side for men, and another for women. I heard stories of Chinese Sash mimicking, and respect to your teacher who wore his in the center, and challenges to your teacher if you do the same. All kinds of "traditions and stories." The truth was much more pragmatic. At the time the commercial schools begin to take off in the late sixties, long/big hair was the fashion. And as more women poured into the schools, it was discovered that it was often difficult to tell male from female in a uniform. The placement of the belt knot solved the problem, and created another "Kenpo Tradition." "If you concentrate on the finger, you miss all the heavenly gwory." :)

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
i know in kenpo we wear the black gi but how would you feel if one of your students took it upon himself to wear a white gi , would it bother you would it depend on his rank ?

after so many years of wearing a black gi with out asking questions i jumped into a white one for the first time and it felt a lil on the traditional side , i wear a white gi in judo but thats diffrent in a way cause it ways a ton.
"We?"

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In Kajukenbo everyone started wearing black in the late 1950's. Not sure, but I have heard various things uncluding that it was due to the death of Sijo Adriano Emperado's brother Joe. Either way, black gi's were not readily availible then and people had to dye them themselves so they came out all different shades of gray to dark black.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score

Improper? By whose standards? The big tradition in the sky? The only tradition and standard is the one that the person who teaches you sets in play. Everything else, going all the way back to Mr. Parker was only a "suggestion." We even had schools and groups who were members, who chose to not even wear a Parker Patch, let alone uniform colors. When Larry Tatum was working for Mr. Parker running the West Los Angeles School, his students wore Larry's Patch in a Parker owned school. Tradition? Whose tradition?

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
In Kajukenbo everyone started wearing black in the late 1950's. Not sure, but I have heard various things uncluding that it was due to the death of Sijo Adriano Emperado's brother Joe. Either way, black gi's were not readily availible then and people had to dye them themselves so they came out all different shades of gray to dark black.

Yeah black uniforms were really hard to come by because they were all imported from Japan, and nobody was making them. Tokaido's only came in white, then Nozawa, who was the exclusive importer of Tokaido created their own "N.T.I." brand (National Trade Imports), and began selling their own black uniform, followed by the "BUDO" Brand created by Black Belt Magazine and Martial Arts Supply before they split the company in two when they were over at 5160 West Washington Blvd, near Fairfax.

Dam, I'm old.