the EPAK black gi "tradition"

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My old Association, the UKS, had the standard old IKKA dress code. White gi's until brown, then black or white, but no "salt and pepper".

Now, unfortunatly maybe, I strayed off the path. Like Bill Piper, I don't really care what they wear, except to Association functions or tournaments. Most wear gi pants, black or white, and a T-shirt in the summer and sweat shirt in the winter. (Did I mention that I am in Austin and don't turn on the A/C in the summer or heat in the winter?) Sad ... but true. Black uniforms seems to last longer without the stains, so it is my preferred color, but I have students wearing both. I allow sweats, street clothes (if you are willing to have them ruined), or gym shorts, if that is all you have.

The instructors usually wear full gi's, basically because we got tired of shreading T-shirts sparring (we do street sparring usually and allow take downs, contact manipulations, controls, etc.)

I encourage students to get a uniform as soon as possible, but do not keep them from training because they cannot afford one.

Oss,
-Michael

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Klondike93
Where did these come from? My instructor, a 3rd Dan, wears one when he teaches. Other times he wears a red top, I have yet to see him in a black top. :asian:

Well, you're closer........... ask him!!!!!!!:rofl:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by KenpoTess
Mr. Conatser called me 'Brittany' when he saw me in my gi.. hahaaa
*grumbling*

Tess, Brittany? You are a Red Head not a bubble headed Bleach Blonde. :D :rofl: I think them is fighting words ;)

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rich Parsons
Tess, Brittany? You are a Red Head not a buble headed Bleach Blonde. :D :rofl: I think them is fighting words ;)

*snickering* Yeah I hear ya Rich *G* I think it was because I had my hair up in a pony tail.. Uh huh~!!
Fighting words... Mr C. did feel the wrath of my glare... But then again he was the instigator for my title.. hmmms... He Does Instigate very well ~!

'The Queen of Pain'

Latest Discussions