care for black gi's....

P

paul hutterer

i think a worn gi is what you would want. if i see someone with a worn blood stained gi i think of how long and how much hard work it took to get like that. just like if you see someone with a black belt that is allmost white because it is worn and tatered.
anyway, i wouldnt waste my time worring about what shade my gi is , spend that time and energy practicing. the dojo is no place for a fashion show

to get respect, give respect

J

Jill666

Dude- it's not about being fashionable, it's about being clean and keeping your gi serviceable and tidy-looking.

I don't mind if it fades over time, I just don't have the scratch to keep buying new ones. So, stains and tears are not desired. And out of respect for those who work out with me, I do not wear the uniform until it reeks.

As for shrinking, I don't think anyone cares if your sleeves are short (I usually roll mine up anyway) but if it's tight in the shoulders, you can't move well. Okay?

Johnathan Napalm

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by paul hutterer
.... if i see someone with a worn blood stained gi i think of how long and how much hard work it took to get like that.

I would think of a bum too lazy to do his laundry..... Really.. What is he trying to prove?

Johnathan Napalm

Black Belt
Reaction score
IS there anyone (besides me) who trains in business attire, casual wear, winter clothe, etc etc?

How often when you "NEED" to fight that you are NOT in one of these, BUT actually in your comfy white/black/colorful "pajamas" :D ?

OP
tarabos

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by paul hutterer
i think a worn gi is what you would want. if i see someone with a worn blood stained gi i think of how long and how much hard work it took to get like that. just like if you see someone with a black belt that is allmost white because it is worn and tatered.
anyway, i wouldnt waste my time worring about what shade my gi is , spend that time and energy practicing. the dojo is no place for a fashion show

to get respect, give respect

thanks for all that helpful input there pal...

i didn't ask for anyone's input on what my gi should look like, just how to get the longest lifespan out of it. i've got enough worn out gi's already, thanks.

and for anyone else that wants to respond to my question with their opinion on wearing gi's...make you own thread about it, because i'm not interested in hearing it.

K

Kirk

Originally posted by nightingale8472
vinegar/salt both work well to preserve dark colors...

however if they do fade:

get to the grocery store and look over by where they have sewing needles and shoe polish. There's usually a rack of something called RIT, which is clothing dye. Follow the directions on the package for light and medium weight gis, double the recipe for heavyweight ones.

After you dye it in the wash cycle, set your washer to the "soak" setting and add vinegar. When you want to get rid of the vinegar, just set the washer to "rinse" and it'll rinse all the vinegar and all out of the washer. I'd recommend running one more cycle (no soap) just to make sure the liquid dye is all out of the clothing, and then dry as usual.

I'd imagine you'd have to take off your patches for this?

Johnathan Napalm

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by tarabos
guess you're the only one...:rolleyes:

guess that is probably one of the reasons why most MA couldn't hack it when it comes to fighting to save their bacon.... ie. unrealistic training....

The first rule of fighting: By deceptions.
The second: You train like you fight. You fight like you train.

OP
tarabos

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Johnathan Napalm
guess that is probably one of the reasons why most MA couldn't hack it when it comes to fighting to save their bacon.... ie. unrealistic training....

The first rule of fighting: By deceptions.
The second: You train like you fight. You fight like you train.

thanks. now i see the light. you should write a book.

Johnathan Napalm

Black Belt
Reaction score
Not saying anything that most experts don't already know....

How many "MA experts" who are all "sound and fury" inside the dojang/dojo (and on internet forum), but piss their pants on the street where the rubber meets the road?

OP
tarabos

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

How many "MA experts" who are all "sound and fury" inside the dojang/dojo (and on internet forum), but piss their pants on the street where the rubber meets the road?

:)

P

paul hutterer

Originally posted by tarabos
thanks for all that helpful input there pal...

i didn't ask for anyone's input on what my gi should look like, just how to get the longest lifespan out of it. i've got enough worn out gi's already, thanks.

and for anyone else that wants to respond to my question with their opinion on wearing gi's...make you own thread about it, because i'm not interested in hearing it.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mod. Note.

Please, keep the conversation polite and respectful.

M

Master of Blades

You tell me because I have yet to meet one.

G

GouRonin

You train like you fight. You fight like you train.

Since I am never up before noon I will never get in a fight before noon. Hence I do not have to train before noon. If you wake me up before noon then the beating will be 10X worse.

IS there anyone (besides me) who trains in business attire, casual wear, winter clothe, etc etc?

I do.

J

jules

Cold water , NO dryer and that new laundry detergent
for dark clothes, then just hang to dry and of course turned
inside out!;)

J

Jill666

Yes. I also train in the gi. I train barefoot and shod. If you want tips on washing your dress shirts, I'd also be happy to provide that.;)

A

Angus

Tarabos: No set amount of vinegar, it's really until you can thoroughly smell it. Usually takes anywhere from a cup to 4-5 cups depending on how much water you use (the latter being a lot of water!). I never measure, I just pour. I would say probably 2 cups at least for the average gi. The smell is key; it should be strong!

Although it may seem like a waste of vinegar, you can always soak multiple uniforms one after another (adding extra salt/little vinegar each time) including those old ones to help set even the faded color so as to make better use of the vinegar.

OP
tarabos

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Angus
Tarabos: No set amount of vinegar, it's really until you can thoroughly smell it. Usually takes anywhere from a cup to 4-5 cups depending on how much water you use (the latter being a lot of water!). I never measure, I just pour. I would say probably 2 cups at least for the average gi. The smell is key; it should be strong!

Although it may seem like a waste of vinegar, you can always soak multiple uniforms one after another (adding extra salt/little vinegar each time) including those old ones to help set even the faded color so as to make better use of the vinegar.

thanks very much...

Latest Discussions