• Other Korean

Results are only viewable after voting.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Which martial art do you train in?

Tae Kwon Do

Why did you choose this art?

My kids started the class based on my wife's friend's recommendation because her husband and son were already in the class. I joined up to encourage them and improve me health and fitness

What do you like about it?

Increased strentgh, stamina, and flexibility in day-to-say life. Also fun to compete against others. In particular, I have stronger legs than upper body (and pretty decent speed and flexbility for an out-of-shape guy my age) so using the legs as the first/primary attack fits my mindset pretty well.

What do you NOT like about it?

I'm still to new, excited, and naive to know yet

Colin_Linz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Shorinji Kempo took my interest because of its techniques and interesting philosophy, I started training in 1988 and have found that there seems to be a never-ending pool of things to learn and practice, and from my perspective this is great. The other aspect I have enjoyed is the people I get to train with, wether here in Australia or in Japan the people are great and the teachers very approachable, even at the highest level.

There are three main areas of physical study; these are Goho (strikes and blocks), Juho (throws, locks, pins, chokes) and Seiho (massage, joint manipulation and pressure point use for the improvement of health). Its is a little hard to describe how it looks as our Goho is quite different from Karate and the Juho, while superficially resembling Aikido is different. Try these two links to view Shorinji Kempo in action, or the two links in my signature block for further information.
http://www.shorinji-kempo.org/
http://www.suginoharyu.com/html/video/kempo.htm

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I study Ed Parkers' American Kenpo

Because when I moved into the area, I initially went looking for a Kung Fu club, and the instructor told me that he was starting a Kenpo class, and that it might be more suited to my physical build (he was right...)

I like the practicalitity of Kenpo, and that from lesson 1 you learn applications, not just esoteric movements without being given a reason

I dislike all the politics in the Kenpo world, and that some people out there seem over-impressed by themselves, and their main focus is their bank accounts, not teaching others...

Colin_Linz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
SIMONCURRAN said:
I dislike all the politics in the Kenpo world, and that some people out there seem over-impressed by themselves, and their main focus is their bank accounts, not teaching others...
I have noticed that American Kempo seems to be very fractionised, although living in Australia I may not get an accurate view of it. It seems to me that there have been too many splits and offshoots, and because many seem to be commercially orientated they need to establish themselves as the better choice.

Apart from the technical side of it, it is one of the reasons I like Shorinji Kempo. It has a very strong organisation and people leaving to found there own style is very rare. I can train anywhere in the world and be sure that I will be welcome. The instructors, even at the highest level are very modest, friendly and approachable. One aspect that some people may not like is that we are forbidden to make money from teaching Shorinji Kempo. Personally I think that there are many advantages to this. It ensures that those that desire to teach do so because of the right reasons, not just because they see a dollar in it. I think that this policy may also be why Shorinji Kempo’s growth in the west has been slow when compared to its growth in Asia.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
What art? TKD

Why? Initially before I chose it, I knew a few people in some form of Karate, and wanted to be "different" than my other friends. Plus, I've been kicking (mostly my older brothers) since I could walk, and just wanted to refine things- although now I'm much older and out grew that stage by a couple of decades :p.

What I like about it? The current style I'm in is inexpensive, not a mcdojang, is traditional (not sport oriented- not thatmakes it wrong, just not my cup of tea). There's more than kicks and basic punches- you have leg sweeps, arm bars, take downs, and a variety of hand techniques than (at least) at my very first classes I took 6 years ago.

What I don't like about it? The class is getting a little too crowded for my liking, and there's no real difference in the "Women's class" and the regular class, but we still have them seperate. Oh well, that just means more practice for me!

dmdfromhamilton

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Dahn moo do Why-Friend got me into it Like- good for self defence, traditional Dislike- Not enough strength building

Kenpo- Why- saw ppl get beat up pretty bad at my high school wanted to be able to defend myself better Likes- Harder style than dahn moo do, good for self defence Dislikes- boring forms

NA Nunchucks- Why- cause they are free at my dojang likes- cool dislikes- difficult

J

jjmcc

KUPSO TUITE . I first started training to help me stop smocking then instead of being addicted to cigs i got addicted to training.

I enjoy my training because we can have a spar and mash each other up but at the end of the day we are all friends. Also you are entiltled to your opinion if you feel a situation or a form could be different you are listened to as we work on principles foremost rather than being treated like robots.

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Colin_Linz said:
I have noticed that American Kempo seems to be very fractionised, although living in Australia I may not get an accurate view of it. It seems to me that there have been too many splits and offshoots, and because many seem to be commercially orientated they need to establish themselves as the better choice.

Apart from the technical side of it, it is one of the reasons I like Shorinji Kempo. It has a very strong organisation and people leaving to found there own style is very rare. I can train anywhere in the world and be sure that I will be welcome. The instructors, even at the highest level are very modest, friendly and approachable. One aspect that some people may not like is that we are forbidden to make money from teaching Shorinji Kempo. Personally I think that there are many advantages to this. It ensures that those that desire to teach do so because of the right reasons, not just because they see a dollar in it. I think that this policy may also be why Shorinji Kempo’s growth in the west has been slow when compared to its growth in Asia.
Hi Colin,
great post, excuse me for not getting back to it sooner, and the club I train EPAK now is none profit, as well as the instructor not taking money for gradings above and beyond his expenses.

Best wishes
Simon

Colin_Linz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Simon,
Thanks for the reply. It is good to see that some other organisations work this way. Mind you I don’t have a problem with people acting as a commercial entity. I just think it is good to retain some counter balance to commercial needs and directions.

digitalronin

Green Belt
Reaction score
kenpo base but leaning towards combatives now.

Why did you choose this art? Its a very indepth system with lots of options.

What do you like about it? practicality

What do you NOT like about it? kenpoists tend to overcomplicate defenses. "Why hit a guy 20 times when u can knock him out in 2.". combatives utilizes gross motor movement and more practical defenses.

L

latchless

Kombatan style Arnis

I have always wanted to study FMA and it's close to home.

I love the sticks and the knife training. I love how close my school is to its roots. I love its practicality and adaptability.

I'm still too new to it to be able to give a worth while comment.

A

Aaron Little

Which martial art do you train in? I run a Mixed MArtial Arts Gym

Why did you choose this art? For my personal training goals it is the best option.

What do you like about it? As above it provides me a means to achive my training goals.

What do you NOT like about it? I must say that I am quite happy with they way I currently train. If I needed to change something, I would.

A

Autocrat

I train in Mostly in - Okinawan GoJu Ryu.
Out of various styles I've tried, I found it well rounded.
What I like most is the club I am with is flexible... they include tai sabiki, seido, basic self defnce, bits from any other style that covers what is lacking...(i.e. at present, one of the Sensei and I now go Jiu Jitsu to get a better grasp of throws and ground fighting!).
What I dislike, and most strongly, is that there isn't enought time or training to cover everything... and we have gradings. Most of the adults and senior members don't care... it's the parents that do! Otherwise... nigh on perfect!

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Nightingale said:

Since we could only pick one and I've been learning two, I didn't vote.

Most of the training I've been doing has been in northern shaolin long fist kung fu (sounds vague to me, but that's what we were told), but I was also taught a long form of Yang style tai chi.

Well, I chose tai chi because I was interested in it. I had heard about it being a good style for health benefits, stress relief and such, and liked what I had read about it on the martial arts (combat) side of things, so I wanted to learn it for real (not teach myself from books and videos). The kung fu came along basically because if I did that with the college club, I'd be able to learn tai chi a little later on. So it was sort of secondary for me, but helped me get what I wanted -- tai chi from a good teacher who wouldn't treat it as simply a health exercise.

Likes? Hmm. Practicing tai chi slowly is a good way to help me relax while also providing a bit of a workout. The long form takes me somewhere around 20-30 minutes to do and I've normally worked up a sweat by the end. The kung fu, well, we were told that typically this style would be the first one taught to students in China because it serves as good preparation for any other style. So I guess one of the good things is that it is a traditional art and it's nice to be able to take part in something with such a long history.

Dislikes? Hmm. Anything I'd say would be sort of superficial. A lot of it is hard, but that's a required part of training and improving so I can't really complain that much about it. I guess there's not much I really dislike about them. Well, I guess I could say that it appears like there's no coverage of ground fighting in either style and not much in the way of grappling. As far as I can tell, the kung fu is primarily striking, though there's probably more to it than I can tell at this point. Tai chi is again mostly stand-up, but I have enough books and info to see that it does include some felling techniques and joint locks. I have some worry that if I ever got forced to use what I've learned, I'd be able to draw upon some of it for stand-up striking fighting, but if things went to the ground, I'd be in trouble. I'd have to work with rather limited and old knowledge of amateur wrestling from high school. But I suppose any art will have its strong and weak points, right?

K

Kirsty x

Nightingale said:
Ninjutsu. :ninja:
Dunno :idunno:
Learning to become invisible and run around rooftops, :ninja: ...........I'm kidden.
Big scary men chasing me around the dojo :uhohh: .....I'm kidden,
The sledge hammer :anic: :waah: ,
long story not getting onto it :wah: :waah: .

*starts shakin uncontrollably*

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
SIMONCURRAN said:
I study Ed Parkers' American Kenpo

Because when I moved into the area, I initially went looking for a Kung Fu club, and the instructor told me that he was starting a Kenpo class, and that it might be more suited to my physical build (he was right...)

I like the practicalitity of Kenpo, and that from lesson 1 you learn applications, not just esoteric movements without being given a reason

I'm with him...minus the Kung Fu thing.

I had trained in TKD in three years prior to starting EPAK and when I started showing my TKD instructors EPAK techiniques, their faces were nothing but deer-in-headlights gazes.

I agree with Simon on the fact that EPAK is based on practical application and in no way am I required to execute some gymnastic feat that only by training with Tara Lapinksi would I ever be able to accomplish, did I mention I'm white and can't jump? There is nothing anyone will learn in EPAK that is not based on logic and that cannot be backed by principles of motion and anotomy.

and, unfortunately, I have to agree with Simon on the fact that the Kenpo community has brached so much since Mr. Parker's death that many are trying to label their branch of Kenpo "Mr. Parker's legacy." hopefully, one day the seniors that are still around that personally trained with Mr. Parker will be able to consolidate into one organization with a universal curriculum, until then, we'll all be Kenpo brothers and sisters, just different clans.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I guess this tread is meant to be about why we choose a certain Art, I answer in a earlier post but for some strang reason I need to ask this question does it matter what Art as long as one enjoys there workouts.Does the style make a difference really for those of us that take another(not really) we all train to be the best that we can possibilly be at that giving Art. With that being said, as long as your style fit you it great and if for some odd reason you wake up and decide that you need more go find another style that will give you your motivation for the Arts. We are all one brotherhood the brotherhood of MA no matter what, we have earned respect from each other to put are body's through the ringer each and every night.

S

Skankatron Ltd

Well, I take tai chi and am rather biased towards it I suppose. I really really like the idea of internal training in addition to external training. While someone with a blackbelt in taekwando could probably beat the mozeneezus out of me, I think past a certain point (like a month) someone who has taken tai chi will have the upper hand if they were to learn for the same amount of time. Again, though, it depends on the teacher. I had a fantastic Taekwando teacher whom I'm sure more than compares to average or bad tai chi teachers (the ones who only teach 'soft' tai chi). I just think tai chi offers a much greater understanding of body mechanics and WOW! Does it work the body hard.
No, serious. I have run a 5:24 mile, I can run 5 miles no problem, and haven't really been sore since the end of cross-country skiing 3 years ago. Now after every class my legs are like linguini. Boiled linguini. Anyway... Anyone else taking tai chi wanna add to this?

DuneViking

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Tae kwon do chung do kwon, because it was the one that was available, and I got real lucky. Best instructor I could have asked for, he focuses not only on self defense, but charachter as well. Don't like that I am getting so old and body says NO, YOU CAN'T DO THAT ANYMORE!! LOL:)

kid

Black Belt
Reaction score
Nightingale said:
Please don't let this turn into a "my art is better than your art" discussion. I'm just curious about the arts we have here and the reasons people train in them.
Tang Soo Do.
My older brother is the instructor.
We get a lot of one on one teaching.
Since i'm his younger brother, he likes to kick my butt around. But when i train for awhile longer it won't happen as easily for him.

Latest Discussions