Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry but the ultimate martial art is Ecky Thump

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
...which martial art, overall and in every way, is the greatest martial art ever? not just for one situation, but overall in all situations and in all ways... which martial art is superior to all others?

That martial art(s) would take 1000 years to learn. And we want everything for tomorrow.

Recently I'm thinking about... combat sports as the best 'martial arts'. CS are very limited in many ways and with an entertainment purpose... But ,at least, there are recent proofs and statistics. MA are often more mixed with beliefs, myths, fantasies and too much collaborative 'opponents' than facts.

And finally one martial art name means nothing. There is the same name to very distinct levels of instruction, interpretations, influences, ways of training, aims and many others...

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is a combat sport. Where is the doubt?!

There is a whole thread on it.

It depends on where you learn it. So you could go to a mma gym. And learn mma. Or to a kung fu gym that might also teach bjj and fight mma.

So it is kind of both a combat sport or rule set and or a martial art.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There is a whole thread on it.
It depends on where you learn it. So you could go to a mma gym. And learn mma. Or to a kung fu gym that might also teach bjj and fight mma.
So it is kind of both a combat sport or rule set and or a martial art.
Interesting comment. I thought all MMA is trained under the same rules. So same sport, independently of the way (styles, méthodes, techniques...) used.
In my point of view, MA is without rules. And SD under civil law..

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting comment. I thought all MMA is trained under the same rules

MMA is not trained under any 'rules'. You train what you need to compete successfully, basically what works for you.
As for fighting under rules, in the UK there is no governing body for MMA so any promoter can make up whatever rules he wants, in practice though we all tend to keep to the same rules with slight variations according to promoter's and fighter's preferences. It's possible to ask for no heel hooks for example or no neck cranks if you wish. often the rules vary on semi pro and amateur fights over whether head shots are allowed or just standing.

zzj

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Other than yellow bamboo i ould say the eighteen dragon slaying palms are very good

This blows yellow bamboo out of the water, too bad its been lost for ages...

anyway that's like the worst qiao/xiaofeng ever

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Interesting comment. I thought all MMA is trained under the same rules. So same sport, independently of the way (styles, méthodes, techniques...) used.
In my point of view, MA is without rules. And SD under civil law..

You are always going to have rules. Doesn't matter what martial art you do.

You may tell people to ignore some of those rules in a life or death situation.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You may tell people to ignore some of those rules in a life or death situation.

I don't think he meant rules as in law/instruction type rules but rather that all MMA was trained in the same method that TKD is. Set moves etc.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
To be more clear, by no rules I mean (for example)... No one says me who I should attack or defend in sparring / randori! Specially when what I do is slow, safe and more effective than the "standard" for them. No stupid technical restrictions for martial arts free sparring! They do it to have a chance, in training. But it is... sport.
(my opinions usually are given by heart, not a true resulting of hours of reflexion. So any discussion is great to refine and improve my concepts and arguments!)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As to the original post......which is better, a shoe, boot or sneaker, and of course, what is the the best size? And color?

I reckon Martial Arts be like that, too. Some fit you, some fit me and some fit that guy over there.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
To be more clear, by no rules I mean (for example)... No one says me who I should attack or defend in sparring / randori! Specially when what I do is slow, safe and more effective than the "standard" for them. No stupid technical restrictions for martial arts free sparring! They do it to have a chance, in training. But it is... sport.
(my opinions usually are given by heart, not a true resulting of hours of reflexion. So any discussion is great to refine and improve my concepts and arguments!)

Yeah it is a misconception that is common. You train with different rules. Not no rules.

And on that point. I was rolling with a guy the other day who swung off a rope to pass guard.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

That was some real nice eye candy right there. Of course being a striker, the Muay Thai around the second minute had me cheering. Watched it a bunch, good stuff.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah it is a misconception that is common. You train with different rules. Not no rules.
Yes, of course I train with rules (not enough nowadays...). But the Martial Art Itself should not put arbitrary restrictions on the artist. If it works, forget the syllabus!! (my opinion, but not seem often; martial sports?) Again, in my point of view, the only 'rules' I understand in MA are related with pedagogy and safety.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
As we all know, there are a ton of martial arts out there. They all have their strengths and weaknesses, and vary greatly in how they work. Here is my question, in your opinion, which martial art, overall and in every way, is the greatest martial art ever? not just for one situation, but overall in all situations and in all ways... which martial art is superior to all others?
The answer to that is actually quite simple. It's the one that you are the most comfortable with and most proficient in.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think Superman is the greatest martial artist of all time :D

I bet superman dosnt even own even one sword and has probably never practiced ultimate flying tiger-dragon-bear round house kick of death or even randomly for no reason yell hiya

If he does that then just maybe... he could be the best

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bet superman dosnt even own even one sword and has probably never practiced ultimate flying tiger-dragon-bear round house kick of death or even randomly for no reason yell hiya

If he does that then just maybe... he could be the best

Ah-ah-ahh!

Members here who've been reading since they were three (like me!) and reading comic books all that time (like me!!) can easily remember the Sword of Superman.
(Wasn't even that long ago.....)

The Sword of Superman - VS Battles Wiki