• Other Chinese

• Other Korean

Results are only viewable after voting.
T

TkdWarrior

Q Which martial art do you train in?
A Taekwon-do n Tai chi

Q Why did you choose this art?
A TKD cuz i couldn't find better teacher of any other style, tai chi umm becuase i just wanted to learn this art

Q What do you like about it?
A TKD-> almost everything...it gave me the idea of MA...
Tai chi-> 4 ounces can reflect 1000 ounces of power...need to say more??

Q What do you NOT like about it?
A TKD->sport TKD, i don't do competitions but i do sparring(full, semi)
Tai chi->too much softness...sometimes i fell asleep doin tai ji
ok ok just exagerrating things...
nuthing as such...

-TkdWarrior-

S

Shinzu

art? TSD (tang soo do)

why? the closest art to shotokan (which was my first art)

likes? pretty much everything

dislikes? not making it to class to practice :)

S

Senfeng

Which martial art do you train in?
Gung Fu/Wing Chun

Why did you choose this art?
To be honest, it was near the office and I don't have a lot of time outside of work.

What do you like about it?
It suprised me how natural a martial art can feel. I am more alert and my reflexes are so much better than before. I also like the fact that I can see how effective it can be in a real fight. The fact that my classmates and I are learning the same technique, but fight completely different pleases me as well.

What do you NOT like about it?
My arms used to be covered in bruises at the end of class. Now, I only get bruises on the back of my right hand, but it ALWAYS happens. Some people have that protruding wristbone that hurts like h3ll!

T

Tony Starks

Which martial art do you train in? I train in Limalama

Why did you choose this art? I chose it by accident

What do you like about it? I like the praticallity of this art, it is self-defense oriented, and also applying what you know in controlled sparing.

What do you NOT like about it? I dont like that its only offered 2 nights a week, whcih makes it hard to come to class balancing school and work.

Q

Quick Sand

Which art? Tae Kwon Do

Why? Honestly I tried it at first because it fit with my class schedule and was on campus. I stayed because I really like it.

What do you like about it? We do a fair amount of self defense and we're part of a pretty big assicoation that is really positive and puts on a lot of things for its students at a very reasonable price. I am built well for kicking but we also learn lots of hand techniques.

What do you not like about it? I wish my particular instructor was a little more involved with training and the association these days. There are others that I would absolutely love to train with but they don't teach in my city so I only meet them occasionally. My instructor is still good though.

W

WhiteTiger

Tracy's Kenpo

Why: I have tried TKD, Jujitsu, and Choy Li Fut, nothing else I have seen offers the practical self-defense base, and the all encompassing scope which Kenpo offers.

What I Like: One on One private instruction, I learn at my pace, and test when I am ready. There is no waiting for others to catch on or until it's test time again.

What I don't Like: There are a few impractical techniques still in the system, why? "because they're in the Kata"

D

Deathtrap101

Renshikan Karate

WHY? Because i heard it was better than karate and i wanted to do some kicks and punches not just throws.(have karate,judo and TKD only here)

LIKE:Sparring, take downs, joint locks, all the fun stuff. You can't seem to stop learning more and more and more and more and more and more.............pretty much like all arts im sure.

Dislikes: Not knowing everything the top sensei knows.

bart

Brown Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmmmm,

Arnis:

This art intrigued me because it is Filipino and I am half Filipino. My father used to tell me about how he saw some of the Huk's doing it when he was in the Peace Corps. My mother told me that my grandfather was a master pistolero and an expert at Arnis De Mano. So for me, what got me into Arnis was a sort of search for my heritage. My father's side is English, and they have a long stick fighting tradition, so it really fit.

When I started practicing Doce Pares, I found that many of the concepts and theories that I learned in my Wing Chun training could be brought over and applied. Arnis is flexible enough so that you can really make the art yours.

Wing Chun:

I wanted an art that was applicable for self defense in tight situations. I also wanted an art that was physically efficient. I'm going to be old someday and I didn't want to depend on my wind at 89 to get me through a mugging attempt. Wing Chun is all of that. Also it's kung fu, so if someone asks what you do you can say "I know Kung Fu".
:)

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by nightingale8472

Which martial art do you train in?

Taekwondo (World Taekwondo Federation affiliation).

Why did you choose this art?
It's a family thing, my brother in-law and nephew first started training in this art. My daughter became interested in the MA because of them, so I decided to check it out and it looked like a cool thing to do. So I also finally decided to began my training in TKD. One of the best decisions I've ever made :D

What do you like about it?
The hard training, the discipline and dedication required to be a good martial artist. It's a stress reliever for me. Also, the sport aspect of TKD. I've entered tourneys, and for me that's a great rush. Haven't had this adrenaline high since I used to play (American) football in high school. Where else do I get to pound on my opponent, all within the rules, and not get arrested for it. :eek:

What do you NOT like about it?
The sport aspect of TKD. Sometimes I would like to concentrate more on the old school, traditional, self-defense aspects of military TKD rather than on the sporting aspects of the WTF style Taekwondo. In a street brawl there are no rules, so you just have to do whatever you need to do to see another day... :shrug:

J

JDenz

Which martial art do you train in? Wrestling/submission wrestling/Bjj

Why did you choose this art? It chose me really. I went out for the team because my two best friends did and I have been wrestling ever since

What do you like about it? The contact, Intense sparring, the way when you spar with a person everyday they become like faimly, going to tournaments.

What do you NOT like about it? Losing

C

Cliarlaoch

What Martial Art?
Tae Kwon Do, but I mix in things from other styles, too.

Why?
Originally, because I was tired of getting beat up, and I thought it would help... years later, I continue to train to develop my body, mind, and soul.

What do I like?
The emphasis on strikes and a good workout. I also like self-defense when it is mixed in. Groundfighting in my original TKD style was also a plus. Kicking and stretching routines are often strenous and extensive.

What don't I like?
Sometimes too rigid, too much emphasis on the system in question being THE way to do things. Need MORE external or alternate methods of fighting mixed in (Read: groundfighting, self-defense, throws, takedowns, and locks, punching and footwork, etc.)

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cliarlaoch
What Martial Art?
Tae Kwon Do,
What don't I like?
Sometimes too rigid, too much emphasis on the system in question being THE way to do things. Need MORE external or alternate methods of fighting mixed in (Read: groundfighting, self-defense, throws, takedowns, and locks, punching and footwork, etc.)

I hear ya bro, that's what I'm talking about, and what I'd also like to see more of in my training... :lookie:

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Currently I am training in IronFists.

Hardened knuckles = a force multiplier.

T

TkdWarrior

can't we hav multiple choices in poll?...

well i m training in Taekwondo n tai -chi
why i started taekwon-do?
well first thing is that he is one of best instructor n real fighter in my city... he's one of expereinced person, he don't belive in closed door system, other styles doesn't hav good representative in my area...
why i started tai-chi?
no apparent reason i liked it because i like the way they move i was around 13-14 when i saw taichi first in TV i was in luv...
wat do i like
based on my instructor curriculum there's nothing we don't do...so i like everything in TKD
in tai chi -> i gave u reason above :)
wat i don't like
TKD-> well competition tho we r hardcore TKdist but we still do competition, i guess we caters to masses.
TaiChi->my teacher forgetting my name :D
-TkdWarrior-

K

Kenpomachine

EP American Kenpo.

I like the self defense stuff and the variety of the training. It lacks a bit of groundwork and takedowns, but it's a problem of the kind of floor we usually train in. We have change now to a more friendly one, though :)

warder

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Pekiti Tersia it feels right to me. also I love weapons. I felt alot of myprevious styles had too much emphasis on forms and lacked alot in self defense and practical combat. with Pekiti this isnt the case. you cant go wrong with knives and sticks in my book.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
WHY???
Tooo many reasons to list!
Logic
Practicallity
universality
effectiveness
infinite progress
.....yada yada yada..........
In the end:
I Just Love IT!!!!
Your Brother
John

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Submisson Grappling, Wrestling, Ju Jitsu & FMA

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Cause it Fun keeps Me in Shape
& on My Toes i have also dabeld with other arts

Like JKD/Mauy Thai, Judo, Boxing & Bando

mtabone

Green Belt
Reaction score
I train in TANG SOO DO MI GUK KWAN

I train to help intergrate my body/mind/spirit, and to master myself.

I love its simple (yet complex) way of bringing the truth. And being a very effective Real life combat fighting system.

I have nothing I dislike.

Love and Light,
Michael Tabone:)

Latest Discussions