Where Did You Get Your Black Belt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I found this YouTube clip of a supposedly actual black belt test which I thought was captivating, I guess. But, seriously, if all black belt tests have come to this then I'm giving mine back...

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What's really disturbing about this is that the people at this dojo were so proud of their performance that they wanted to post it online.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are lots of clips of them on the internet. It's some kind of like high speed karate. They do kata really fast too. Not sure why you think this has any bearing on your rank or the value of your belt. If they are happy who cares

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
What's really disturbing about this is that the people at this dojo were so proud of their performance that they wanted to post it online.
Don't know who posted it. Maybe they were proud. I make no judgement for I don't know what the context they are performing from or what their requirements are for what appears as bb ranking.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Don't know who posted it. Maybe they were proud. I make no judgement for I don't know what the context they are performing from or what their requirements are for what appears as bb ranking.

That's fine. My judgement on it is that their technique is terrible, and embarrassing.

The only context in which that could be viewed favorably is if it were a martial arts parody.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's fine. My judgement on it is that their technique is terrible, and embarrassing.

The only context in which that could be viewed favorably is if it were a martial arts parody.
What is the context. Now I'm not saying one way or the other only looking from the perspective f context.

Around 10 years ago I taught a special class for a social disorder program for adults and teens with autism or on the autism spectrum. This program was using martial arts for a part of their therapy. I came is a backup instructor and continued for almost 8 years. Was an excellent program for the participants and their families. Was even greater for me. There was a ranking system with belts for goals and development success.
Anyone watching and not knowing anything about the program would have thought these were the worse martial arts participants ever. Everyone in the program was happy and the families were absolutely thrilled. Has been one of the most gratifying experiences of my martial arts life.

Back to this video, what is the context. It may be terrible, it maybe a parody, it may be Awesome!
I make no judgement.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What is the context. Now I'm not saying one way or the other only looking from the perspective f context.

Around 10 years ago I taught a special class for a social disorder program for adults and teens with autism or on the autism spectrum. This program was using martial arts for a part of their therapy. I came is a backup instructor and continued for almost 8 years. Was an excellent program for the participants and their families. Was even greater for me. There was a ranking system with belts for goals and development success.
Anyone watching and not knowing anything about the program would have thought these were the worse martial arts participants ever. Everyone in the program was happy and the families were absolutely thrilled. Has been one of the most gratifying experiences of my martial arts life.

Back to this video, what is the context. It may be terrible, it maybe a parody, it may be Awesome!
I make no judgement.

This video has been around for awhile. The only context I'm aware of is that its a sub par martial arts school performing for a school.

I suppose if they're mentally disabled, that would be a favorable context for their technique. :shifty:

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I found this YouTube clip of a supposedly actual black belt test which I thought was captivating, I guess. But, seriously, if all black belt tests have come to this then I'm giving mine back...
So was there a point to this thread or you just felt like making fun of people?

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
This video has been around for awhile. The only context I'm aware of is that its a sub par martial arts school performing for a school.

I suppose if they're mentally disabled, that would be a favorable context for their technique. :shifty:
Your presumption may well be correct but just because it has been around for awhile means little unless there is more information you have as to what the context is. I simply don't know. I appreciate your allowing that there may be a different context as to what is happening. And, it may not be a mental disability it may be something physical; like muscular dystrophy or Parkinson's disease. I don't know and make no judgement.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Your presumption may well be correct but just because it has been around for awhile means little unless there is more information you have as to what the context is. I simply don't know. I appreciate your allowing that there may be a different context as to what is happening. And, it may not be a mental disability it may be something physical; like muscular dystrophy or Parkinson's disease. I don't know and make no judgement.
It may just be because thats how they do things. It may be because they enjoy what they learn and are having fun.

OP
cali_tkdbruin

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So was there a point to this thread or you just felt like making fun of people?
Absolutely not, I'm not about that. If this is simply a martial arts parody then it's all fun and games, relax and accept it for what it is. If it is in fact possibly disabled adults, as mentioned above, then I commend these students for practicing the MAs, and I certainly am not mocking them, please. However, if this is the manner in which these able bodied practitioners are being taught karate or any other MA then their training leaves a lot to be desired.

Status
Not open for further replies.