When is it too late?

TKD7o7

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone i am a new member to join this forum,

i have a question,

When is it too late to return to Take kwon Do after stopping for a while?

I personally feel i still have the spirit to get back into shape and i still have a little techniqe, but physically i might be to weak.

I literally starterd to kick before i read and was fairly decent. i started when i was three then i was forced to quit due to parents financial problems when i was 12 and around 65lbs.during that time i obtained a black belt.

Now, at the present time, i am 18 years old just started college. ive grew taller, im now weighing 180lbs, not as strechable, and also have low endurance and stanima.and i have forgotten most forms and terminology,

please view you opinions, any tips are highly apreciated

thank you

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
first welcome to MT

Now as to your question I do not believe that it is ever to late to restart training. If you have the will to learn go for it, I would recommend that you start stretching if you do not do so already.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
18 and worried about it being too late? No need at all to worry about that. The flexibility will come back along with everything else. Find a good school and go for it.

Jeff

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First welcome

Your question about whenis it too late to start when you are dead until then training will be good, serious you are very young for any Martial Art that is out there if you still have the desire. So go find a school and kick start you training again.
Terry

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Never too late. I started TKD in my mid-thirties a couple years ago. If a senior citizen like me can do it, I have no doubt a middle-aged 18 year old can too. :)

Welcome to MT.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with the rest of the group here. Its never too late....& 18 isn't too old for anything.

Welcome MT!

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
JeffJ said:
18 and worried about it being too late? No need at all to worry about that. The flexibility will come back along with everything else. Find a good school and go for it.

Jeff

What he said. And welcome to MT!!! :)

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to MT! :wavey:

It's never too late - just go in and do it, and enjoy! I have plenty of students who started after 40; 18 is nothing.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
First I must respond as follows, I believe it is required.

18 and YOU THINK YOU’RE TOO OLD.... YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING.... I HAVE LEATHER JACKETS OLDER THAN YOU!!!!!!

OK now that is over please allow this old geezer to tell you that you have absolutely nothing to worry about, you are not to old, go train and enjoy.

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Xue Sheng said:
First I must respond as follows, I believe it is required.

18 and YOU THINK YOU’RE TOO OLD.... YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING.... I HAVE LEATHER JACKETS OLDER THAN YOU!!!!!!

*Ahem* Since it's a Korean art that would be "I have Dobak older than you!"..just FYI.:boing2:

It's never too late..as Terry said. Have fun.:)

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome to MT!

As others have mentioned, you are never too old to start (or restart) training. In fact,you are likely in your peak physical years and it will be easier for you to resume than someone who has never trained.

Miles
(not quite as old as Master Stoker, but not as good looking either! :)

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Get cracking, there is no time like the present.
icon12.gif

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
TKD7o7 said:
Hello everyone i am a new member to join this forum,

i have a question,

When is it too late to return to Take kwon Do after stopping for a while?

I personally feel i still have the spirit to get back into shape and i still have a little techniqe, but physically i might be to weak.

I literally starterd to kick before i read and was fairly decent. i started when i was three then i was forced to quit due to parents financial problems when i was 12 and around 65lbs.during that time i obtained a black belt.

Now, at the present time, i am 18 years old just started college. ive grew taller, im now weighing 180lbs, not as strechable, and also have low endurance and stanima.and i have forgotten most forms and terminology,

please view you opinions, any tips are highly apreciated

thank you

Welcome. And go gangbusters. I've heard of people nearing their 30s at 300 lbs who turned it all around and became martial artists. Dude you are still very very very young.

mcmillintkd

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It is not too late. I returned to MA after a twenty year break and in my mid-thirties. It is all about mind over matter.

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It's too late when your dead and in the ground. Before that a return to martial arts is always a good idea although us old guys (I'm 50) need to start slowly. Personally i stated in shotokan in my early 20's and then took 20 years off. When I returned to kenpo it was a great experience and one of the best decisions of my life.

Jeff

Latest Discussions