too square

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Am I too square or old fashioned?

Since I am imparting TKD clases to the dojang dad's I am meaking efforts trying to teach the comands in korean, that's the way iI was taught and that's the way iI want to teach. So I call the name of the tech in korean followed in spanish and do the explanation. Yes I know it can be a little complicated but I want this group of men to have a good tkd formation and understanding of the korean orders. No I am not a master seargent just a guy who love this korean martial art in it's escency.

I have been visiting some friends at their karate dojos and all the comands are in japanese too.

This way of teaching is serving me a lot cause I am studying again the korean terminology too.

I really feel the energy flowing when I yell the comands and want my group feel it and to show all the martial potential to be recognized by their boys and girls.

Too crazy? I don't think so.

Manny.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
You are doing the right thing man, teach in Korean, all Korean if possible. I know that in Karate we do everything in Japanese and it works quite well. We are all on the same page no matter if we are in our class, at a tournament with people from all over the world or in a seminar being taught by an instructor from another country because we have a common language, Japanese.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you really understand an Art if you do not understand the people and culture from which it comes? Learning Korean, even the very limited Korean required to know the names of the stances, blocks, kicks, etc gives one some small insite into the people of Korea.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Go for it!

It also does help them communicate in the greater TKD community.

It's the language of the trade, like doctors have theirs, etc.
It would eliminate a lot of misunderstandings if more people would adhere to it.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Having to learn a second language is an impediment to learning phsical motion.

I have no idea what Spanish equivelants of techniques are, but in the computer age we came to value the "Intuitive commands."

For a non Korean speaker there is nothing intuitive about Yap Chagi, Ap Chagi, Dolyo Chagi etc.

TKD is an MA developed by Koreans, There is some inherent philosophy, but a kick, a punch, a strike, a thrust, have no cultural connection. You don't need to understand Korea or Koreans to understand the techniques.

>>Can you really understand an Art if you do not understand the people and culture from which it comes?<<<

Understanding this has nothing to do with learning a few terms in another language or learning a foreign language.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If that's the way your school does it, Manny, go for it. But I must say that, since I have exactly zero talent for learning new languages, I'm very grateful that my school uses English only, and uses descriptive technique names.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Anything that you learn counting to 10 or few phrases can be used to cross cultural barriers. The Korean I have learned just by watching TKD classes has allowed me to more easily relate to Koreans outside of TKD. I have had dealings with many Korean's in my work life the few phases that I have picked up over the years has been a great Ice Breaker and Trust Builder. It gives you quick common ground.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having to learn a second language is an impediment to learning phsical motion.

I have no idea what Spanish equivelants of techniques are, but in the computer age we came to value the "Intuitive commands."

For a non Korean speaker there is nothing intuitive about Yap Chagi, Ap Chagi, Dolyo Chagi etc.

TKD is an MA developed by Koreans, There is some inherent philosophy, but a kick, a punch, a strike, a thrust, have no cultural connection. You don't need to understand Korea or Koreans to understand the techniques.

>>Can you really understand an Art if you do not understand the people and culture from which it comes?<<<

Understanding this has nothing to do with learning a few terms in another language or learning a foreign language.

I suppose you're correct, if all you're interested in is learning "physical motion". But to me (and others, apparently) there is more to our Art than "physical motion".

DMcHenry

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Since the Koreans learned it from the Japanese, why don't Koreans use Japanese commands in their classes?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Master McHenry you already know that answer because they changed everything to Tae Kwon Do back in the 50's so they can have their identity.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Since the Koreans learned it from the Japanese, why don't Koreans use Japanese commands in their classes?

Initially they did use Japanese. The changed to the Korean language because they wanted the art to have a Korean Identity. I believe that this has allot to do with the brutal occupation of the Japanese during WW2.

DMcHenry

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yes sir I do, it was a retorical question. In our case, we've been training long enough in the US for us to make it our own. Why not use English? If someone were to learn from us and open a dojang in another country, would they use English commands?

Just bringing up the question: Why still use Korean, the Koreans don't use Japanese?

PS: playing the devil's advocate here. I too tend to use Korean terms in class and like my students to learn the terms. Personally, I just think it's cool as well as educational and also enjoy learning the culture.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Terminology is nice, but probably unimportant compared to actually learning the concepts of the system itself. How many Shotokan karate-ka actually study the 10 precepts as set out by Anko Itosu? Relatively few compared to the numbers that know how to count to ten in Japanese, ichi, ni, san....

Same thing with TKD. I've got to think that knowing the Korean terminology is dwarfed by understanding such things like General Choi's Theory of Power, etc.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes sir I do, it was a retorical question. In our case, we've been training long enough in the US for us to make it our own. Why not use English? If someone were to learn from us and open a dojang in another country, would they use English commands?

Just bringing up the question: Why still use Korean, the Koreans don't use Japanese?

PS: playing the devil's advocate here. I too tend to use Korean terms in class and like my students to learn the terms. Personally, I just thinik it's cool as well as educational and also enjoy learning the culture.

Sorry I missed the rhetorical part!

I agree learning a little Korean Culture is a great add the TKD experience.

I have also noticed TKD practitioners also enjoy Korean food quite a bit.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Most instructors who aren't native speakers of the language in question are usually butchering said language, especially in the martial arts case where the instructor may be a second or more generations removed from the actual native speaker. And I suspect that listening to such butchering of the language is either painful or amusing to the native speaker. They may respect the effort, and in the case of many east Asian instructors they may never correct you so they aren't causing you to lose face, but that doesn't mean that it is going over well.

I am an instructor in two arts, in Kenpo they pretty much removed all of the Japanese or Chinese borrow words and replaced it with an American English jargon. I wouldn't expect a Spanish speaker to use that English terminology to explain what they are doing, I would expect them to translate it to their own language.

In kali there is a greater number of terms from Tagalog or Ilongo and while I do explain them, I don't expect them to memorize them unless they have an interest or unless they want to be instructors themselves.

I approach martial arts very functionally, I am not teaching it as a cultural experience, because quite frankly, I am not qualified, nor do I consider most martial arts instructors that I have met in the US to be either. They may be fine martial artists but their knowledge of both the root culture and language are lacking.

DMcHenry

Blue Belt
Reaction score
@Dancingalone: Yes, but it is good to know the difference too. One of my pet peeves is to see an instructor teaching "Korean", and the students believing they are learning "Korean" only to be using Japanese terms.

Learning both is a good thing, IMO - but you should know the difference.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
PS: playing the devil's advocate here. I too tend to use Korean terms in class and like my students to learn the terms. Personally, I just think it's cool as well as educational and also enjoy learning the culture.

Yes, that's one way to look at it, making it our own. But it's not our own, the head office is still in Korea, it's still a Korean style, etc. Going to a tournament overseas and taking part, attending a class taught by an instructor from another country (like Korea) necessitates the use of a common language ... which is usually the language of it's native land.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
@Dancingalone: Yes, but it is good to know the difference too. One of my pet peeves is to see an instructor teaching "Korean", and the students believing they are learning "Korean" only to be using Japanese terms.

Learning both is a good thing, IMO - but you should know the difference.

Never run into that yet personally, but shame on the ignorant instructor who is passing on his own lack of education. That is an embarrassing gaffe. I would wonder what else he doesn't know if I were his student.

DMcHenry

Blue Belt
Reaction score
*That* sir, I believe, IS the reason for using terms from that art in the native language. The rest is just academic and general knowledge.

In a mixed language environment, you do need a common term to communicate with others. That's why I believe my students should know & understand the terms in Korean.

DMcHenry

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Never run into that yet personally, but shame on the ignorant instructor who is passing on his own lack of education. That is an embarrassing gaffe. I would wonder what else he doesn't know if I were his student.

Totally agree. Another reason it's good to know what's what so you don't get taken advantage of.