Head brick break

deadhand31

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
The 7th layer of Hell. Wisconsin, to the rest of y
Hello,

I am toying with the idea of breaking a brick with my noggin. However, I know that this brings on a lot of safety concerns. I am seeking information on these following concerns:

1. Angle: Which is the safest angle to approach this at?

2. Height: What would the safest height, in relation to body, to attempt this?

3. Resulting trauma: I realize that it would be my head effectively hitting something that is used in road creation with my head. It will probably give me a concussion if I do this. What ways, if any, are there to minimize this?

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
deadhand31 said:
3. Resulting trauma: I realize that it would be my head effectively hitting something that is used in road creation with my head. It will probably give me a concussion if I do this. What ways, if any, are there to minimize this?

The brain is a computer that controls one of the most complex machines in the universe, The Human Body and ALL its functions...They rely on the it for instructions..If you dropped a brick on your laptop or desk PC what do you think the results would be???? Board breaks with your hands, elbows. feet are great..Leave your head alone ..My paranoid 2 cents worth...

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Drac said:
The brain is a computer that controls one of the most complex machines in the universe, The Human Body and ALL its functions...They rely on the it for instructions..If you dropped a brick on your laptop or desk PC what do you think the results would be???? Board breaks with your hands, elbows. feet are great..Leave your head alone ..My paranoid 2 cents worth...

I vote the same way as Drac on this one. Use your cranium for different things.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with Drac and Iceman - and also, I would ask the purpose of this break? I mean, why this particular break and not another one? There are plenty of impressive breaks you can do without risking permanent head trauma.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
the head break only takes one miss to mess you up for life
yes it looks spectacular but it also hurts like hell if you miss it

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with the others here, but what you need to do is work up your neck muscles and you want to make contact at the hairline.....be careful.

OP
D

deadhand31

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
The 7th layer of Hell. Wisconsin, to the rest of y
Kacey said:
I agree with Drac and Iceman - and also, I would ask the purpose of this break? I mean, why this particular break and not another one? There are plenty of impressive breaks you can do without risking permanent head trauma.

Well, this is something that I was toying with in preparation for our team's demo competition. This isn't something I have set in stone; it's something I wanted to research. Instead of just doing it, I wanted to see if anyone here had experience with it.

Oh, and Fluffy, does the hairline thing still apply if your hairline is receding? j/k

Given the advice I have been given thus far, I think I'm more apt to attempt a double downward elbow through stacks of 4. I just want to thank everyone here for taking the time to post their 2 cents worth.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have done it a couple of times and do not think I will ever do it again ( but then I may). It is something i have never tried to work on but rather did on the spur of the moment. I have been lucky and never hurt myslef serriously but have had a few cuts on my forehead

spud

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I wouldnt as i started off plenty ugly & brain damage is not on my list of things to do just yet.

I did however have to throw a brick into the air & break it with a knife hand strike for my 1st Dan grading over 25 years ago. The good news is it only takes about 12 months of hitting a concrete pillar 500 times a night, 5 nights a week.

1st 100 hits softly
2nd 100 hits a little harder
3rd 100 hits with about 50 body weight behind it
4th 100 hits as fast as you can but very little body weight
5th 100 hits full body weight as fast as you can. "Easy"

Just be prepared to buy 2 pairs of winter gloves, 1 the normal size & a second pair larger as one hand is now bigger & blacker than the other.

The things we do to our selfs!

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Why not???

~ Cerebral Hemorrhage
~ Permanent Brain Damage
~ Strokes
~ Death

hmmm.... need I say more?

I most definitely agree with my other wise, and esteemed colleagues here. Please find other ways to challenge your body than to risk life threatening injuries to one area that is most difficult to cure.

I had a close associate, many years ago, who held a world record for the number of brick breaks with his head (a technique I refuse to do). He had several strokes which changed his life, and took him out of Taekwondo Instructing.

Don't do it! It's not worth the risks! :)
Chief Master D.J. Eisenhart