I need some advice concerning a certain fear that I have.

Hwoarang_tkd26

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Ok, I am very new to this site as you can tell, I want to apologize if the question Im asking has already been covered and explained.
First of all I want to say that I feel that I am a considerably good fighter and sparer (Not trying to brag), but in a self defense situation I have one big fear that I have had for a very long time.
With Tae kwon Do being mainly kicking, I fear my legs getting grabed or locked if I were in a self defense situation(Which I hate very much when it happens).
I have learned and practiced certain ways to avoid it or counter it, which do help somewhat, but I am still not satisfied.
Is there anyone with some advice that can help me with my problem and help overcome my fear?
All advice will be much apreciated.

- Hwoarang_tkd26

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
kick fast, retract faster and keep it low...you'll be fine if you keep your cool

M

Mark Weiser

Find someone that is trained in another art besides TKD and train with them and spar see how they react and counter. learn from them.

D

Disco

Find someone that is trained in another art besides TKD and train with them and spar..............

I always find it disconcerting when the word "spar" is introduced into a self defense picture. The sparring mindset will rear it's ugly head at the most dubious times and will get you hurt or worse. The younger generations feel that sparring is the end all to be all. Don't really know how this came about, but it's foolish at best. A good self defense practicioner, not "fighter" should end an altercation within 30 seconds at the most. I know some will take strong exception to that statement, but people that have "been involved", can vouch to the truth of this. Bouncers, Police, Security etc, should also attest to this.

What bignick offered is on the money, but you may also wish to focus more on real self defense attributes instead of just relying on the kicks you have learned and practiced.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
speaking from my judo/jujutsu experience...if someone stands there and throws a kick at my head...i'm probably gonna be able to react to it...it's a long distance from the ground to my head...from my taekwondo experience, i know high kicks have their place...the thing is to start finding when it is approriate to attack certain targets...i'd most likely stay low...but all of sudden if he's exposed and i think i can get a head kick...i might go for it...it's all about situation

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There are several methods we use against people who try to grab our legs or feet.

1. Kick through their hands to their stomach. Realize, if someone can grab your foot, you are not using enough speed and penetrating force in your kick. Your leg and foot should become battering rams.

2. Kick their hands. If they want to expose the bones of the hand and fingers to the force of your leg and foot, make their hand itself the target.

3. If they do grab your foot, use the force of your leg retracting to remove your foot from their grip. Chances are, they will not have a solid grip and it shouldn't be too hard to break free.

4. Let them grab your foot once. The next time they reach for it, kick to the head.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
All the practice we have in kicking above the waist makes our low kicks significantly stronger than they would be otherwise. In a self-defense situation, attacking an opponent's legs (especially the knees) is usually the easist way to harm their mobility and give yourself a chance to escape. And low kicks aren't very likely to be grabbed, unless your opponent really wants to reach for it.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hwoarang_tkd26 said:
Ok, I am very new to this site as you can tell, I want to apologize if the question Im asking has already been covered and explained.
First of all I want to say that I feel that I am a considerably good fighter and sparer (Not trying to brag), but in a self defense situation I have one big fear that I have had for a very long time.
With Tae kwon Do being mainly kicking, I fear my legs getting grabed or locked if I were in a self defense situation(Which I hate very much when it happens).
I have learned and practiced certain ways to avoid it or counter it, which do help somewhat, but I am still not satisfied.
Is there anyone with some advice that can help me with my problem and help overcome my fear?

You can always drill what you've learned for those situations more. Practice punching, practice whatever and practice it seriously. Get a training partner and work holds and all that.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A question comes to mind: Is it really more likely that a kick will grabbed in a fight than a punch? I'm not so sure. There are more than a couple ways to take someone down by grabbing their arm, as well as their leg, aren't there?

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Even the fastest kick's still slower than an average punch. It's also a smaller target, doesn't leave you off balance...

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hwoarang_tkd26 said:

- Hwoarang_tkd26
Learn to punch. :)

Jeff

OP
Hwoarang_tkd26

Hwoarang_tkd26

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I apreciate everyone's effort in helping me with this.
Some of what was said I have already been told, and some of it I needed to here.
Mark Weiser said:
Find someone that is trained in another art besides TKD and train with them and spar see how they react and counter. learn from them.
Yes I have been doing that for quite some time, and what I have learned is that those who I spar with (that is not in TKD) tend to grab the legs more than those who I spar in TKD. (Which isn't such a bad thing, it only makes me learn more)
It just seems that no matter how much I practice my kicks being faster or retracting faster, or the counter moves, there will always be that one time were it will still happen to me.
Don't get me wrong if I were to say what my best skill was, I would say my kicks.
But I do like MichiganTKD's idea of striking harder, it makes a lot of sense to me, but still there is one problem I can see: is that in sparing I'm not trying to take my oponent out, Im only hitting them hard enough to let them know that I hit them. (which opens up the oportunity to grab)
But if it were an actual fight my intent would be to take them out, so I would use full force, and I can see exactly how hard that would be to grab the legs in that situation.
I also like Zepp's advise to strike lower, I will have to try that.
Oh yeah I almost forgot to inform everyone about this; The type of sparing that I do with people ouside of TKD is usually done without pads and has no rules exept you must pull your strikes just enough so you don't do sevire damage, also with the exeption of biting, hairpulling, eye gowdging, and hooking (those sort of things).
So in other words everything but what I mentioned above is legal. (It's kind of like Ultimate Fighting but not nearly as brutal)
So lecture me all you want about this, I already understand that it is dangerious, and that I take many risks in participating in this, and I wouldn't advise just anyone to do this because you can easily get hurt or worse.
It's just that when I'm taught certain techniques its in my blood to try them out, and the group that I spar with are the same way and thats why I do it.
I just thought I should cover that because I had a feeling that someone was going to ask a question such as: What kind of sparring were you doing if grabs were alowed? Because we all know that grabbing legs in TKD sparring is an illegal move.
Anyway I hope I didn't bore everyone with this lengthy reply.
Thank you for your help.

Hwoarang_tkd26

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hwoarang_tkd26 said:
Oh yeah I almost forgot to inform everyone about this; The type of sparing that I do with people ouside of TKD is usually done without pads and has no rules exept you must pull your strikes just enough so you don't do sevire damage, also with the exeption of biting, hairpulling, eye gowdging, and hooking (those sort of things).
So in other words everything but what I mentioned above is legal. (It's kind of like Ultimate Fighting but not nearly as brutal)
So lecture me all you want about this, I already understand that it is dangerious, and that I take many risks in participating in this, and I wouldn't advise just anyone to do this because you can easily get hurt or worse.

Sounds like good times to me. We call that light-contact sparring (or sometimes, not-so-light contact).

I do hope you're using a mouthguard when you spar though. Everyone loses control at some point, and dental work is expensive.

And by the way, Hwoarang_tkd26, welcome to MT.

Drag'n

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm an avid "kicker" too.And I train with various martial artists under MMA type rules.I understand your fear.And you should be afraid!No matter how fast or hard you kick, occaisionaly someone is gonna get hold of your leg.
Of course there are things you can do to lessen the possibility,and counter.But, if you're relying souly on your kicking prowess ,what happens when your opponent gets in close with uppercuts and hooks? Or if you get cought in a clinch?Taken to the ground?
Having strong fast kicking ability is good, but its only one peice of the big picture.If you dont work on the whole game you're always going to be vulnerable.

B

blackbeltedbeauty

I was facing the same problem you are hworang. That's when I took up JKD to go along with my TKD and weapons as well. TKD is an awesome art, but all arts need help in some ways.

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
They say don't bring a knife to a gun fight. So do you really want to bring only your self to a knife fight?
I'm not really advocating carrying a weapon but there always is that possibility.
Other than that. Abandon TKD and take take up running. Or actually don't abandon TKD but running might be a better option sometimes.

OP
Hwoarang_tkd26

Hwoarang_tkd26

Orange Belt
Reaction score
someguy said:
They say don't bring a knife to a gun fight. So do you really want to bring only your self to a knife fight?
I'm not really advocating carrying a weapon but there always is that possibility.
Other than that. Abandon TKD and take take up running. Or actually don't abandon TKD but running might be a better option sometimes.
Lol, thats an intersting point, but I am a very poor runner thats why I learn to fight, and Im not much interested in carrying a wepon at all times either (no really I have had that thought go through my mind before).
I feel like everyone should be either a good runner or a good fighter.
And for me it's fighting.
-Hwoarang_tkd26

Latest Discussions