not sure if im physically built for TKD

toprankedsf

White Belt
Reaction score
sup all, new to MMA..

ive just recently started taking TKD (ive never done any martials art prior). so taking a look closer at TKD, it seems like the TKD style is built for somewhat tall people with long legs. well, im 5'6" 150 lbs. and pretty much got short legs with a long torso. but i do have strong legs though, not sure if it matters. most 150 lb'ers i know of are 5'8" and taller. i guess im a bit insecure about taking up this sport right now since i still havent actually sparred yet. is there any upsides for the shorter fighter with more powerful legs, and if so how do i utilize them?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TKD is for anyone wishing to be, size is just that size. If you are enjoying it stay if not find something, but never say because of size it may not be right.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Body kicks and fast hands. I've seen lots of fireplugs win sparring matches.

BigRich

White Belt
Reaction score
I don't think you need to worry. After all, the guys in Korea aren't too tall either. Just something to think about.

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It depends upon what you want to do with your TKD training. I am 5'9" and 200 Lbs so I have pretty much the same body type as you. I know what you are thinking, those tall, skinny, flexible kids are better at TKD because they can kick higher. That is not actually true, just wait until you spar against them. The training and the kicking drills favour those who can do high kicks and those who can do the jumpy, spinny ones. In sparring, it doesn't matter how high you kick or how fancy that kick is, what matters is how many times and how hard you can hit your opponent.

When you spar, think "tank". You will dominate the centre of the ring, they will dance around you. They will jump towards you, kick and then jump away again. They have speed and agility on their side. You, however, have power and the ability to absorb impact. Most of their opponents will stop coming towards them if they throw a kick, you are different, you have the ability to absorb the power of the kick with a block and keep on coming. You then throw some kicks at them when you get in range. They will learn quickly that they cannot block one of your kicks because they do not have the bodyweight to stop it properly. The only time you should try a fancy, spinny, jumpy kick is the moment the referee says "go". Just step up and throw something spinny and jumpy. You will not hit them but they will be watching for that kick for the rest of the match and it will put them off guard. They are scared of you when you throw a kick because they know it packs a punch, use that to your advantage.

Remember, they have speed and agility, you have firepower and impact absorption. But, most importantly, remember to HAVE FUN!!!!

Red Menace

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As with any martial art it's all about finding the techniques that work for you and your body. A shorter guy needs to work on finding the right range when sparring. You can get close enough that you can kick, but that your opponent with longer legs can't get you. Fight in close and never back up. Shoot to the side or even better, make your opponent back up and kick him. You'll do fine. I encourage you to give TKD a shot!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Go for it, dude! Unless your instructor is wound too tight, he or she will work with you.

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My advice to you is to find and read the thread here about people getting kicked to the head.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's not so much the leg length that matters in competitive sport TKD sparring. IMHO speed is a much more key factor in your success. If you're relatively slow, well I'd hate to go against prevailing thought, but I think other arts might be better suited for someone relatively short AND slow.

Of course all bets are off if you are training for other purposes such as self-defense. In that case, the right instructor is much more important than the art itself.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm 5'5", female, and not slender (not going into any more detail than that) - and I've been in TKD for 22 years. It's not the body type - it's the instructor and the interest of the student that makes for success in any martial art. Enjoy, and let us know how it's going!

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am not built for tkd so to speak but I do enjoy the poomsea and all the non sparring aspects of it though.

MikeyMac

White Belt
Reaction score
I am 6'2", and in my fighting days I fought at 203 lbs. The worst beating I took in a ring was from a 55 year old blackbelt who was no more than 5'5" and 140 lbs or so.

Skill is a wonderful equalizer for size and strength.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
sup all, new to MMA..

ive just recently started taking TKD (ive never done any martials art prior). so taking a look closer at TKD, it seems like the TKD style is built for somewhat tall people with long legs. well, im 5'6" 150 lbs. and pretty much got short legs with a long torso. but i do have strong legs though, not sure if it matters. most 150 lb'ers i know of are 5'8" and taller.

Hmmm, I'm just under 5'6" and about 150. My instructor is 5'5". Gen. Choi was, what? 5'0"? I'm certainly not suggesting a parallel in skill between the three of us :) But height alone means little.

i guess im a bit insecure about taking up this sport right now since i still havent actually sparred yet. is there any upsides for the shorter fighter with more powerful legs, and if so how do i utilize them?

Upside? Yes. People's legs are stronger than their arms. With proper training they can become very, very fast. Using your legs can keep a taller opponent away, especially if he favors punching. Footwork is also important. Keep on the opponent's outside until an opening allows you to get past his legs. Speed of technique is important, but so is being able to simply move yourself fast.

Don't discount jumping/flying kicks either. I know several shorter Taekwon-Doin who can simply jump high and fast. My instructor has flying back kicks, flying reverse vertical (crescent) kicks, etc. down pat. It's ridiculous how fast he can execute these kicks and score with them, and he's 60.

I don't know what style of Taekwon-Do you're doing but the ITF also allows jumping hand techniques. Your opponent is ready for a flying kick? Maybe not for a flying punch or back fist. I've seen those score on some very surprised people who were all set to avoid that kick that never materialized.

Pax,

Chris

Latest Discussions