when involved in a real fight do you block or just go heads up

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
only place ive really used blocks is in sparring , in a real fight all im really trying to do is place that one hitter quitter %-}

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
only place ive really used blocks is in sparring , in a real fight all im really trying to do is place that one hitter quitter %-}
And how do you train to place that one hitter quitter? After all, you have to be close enough to place it, and the closer you are, the less you can simply dodge. If you are close enough to place your hitter quitter, so then is your opponent. If your opponent has trained to block and counter with his hitter quitter and you have not, then you are at a disadvantage and will likely being the one who will be quitting.

I am not normally one to question another's background on the web, but I must ask you; have you been in any real fights since middle school?

By high school, you can potentially run into someone who can actually fight, and as an adult, if you are in real fights, blocks are very helpful. Whenever anyone asks if certain techniques are used in "a real fight" and then proceeds to inform the world of what they do in "a real fight", it screams out, "I have never been in a real fight."

This may not be the case, so I do not want to assume your experience, but that is how your post comes across.

Daniel

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Working as a bouncer, I get a lot of drunks throwing the first punch... Usually, it's not directed towards me, but on occasion it does happen.

I like to block, since it shows the rest of the world that I'm not the initial aggressor. In terms of liability, it's placed (somewhat) on the guy throwing the first punch. It also gives me an extra split second to assess my situation, and act accordingly.

Block a couple of punches, respond without unnecessary escalation of force. I'd rather go that route. It's a lot easier talking to the cops with a subdued individual, than a bleeding, knocked out opponent that's probably permanently damaged (face, groin, throat).

Another thing, I like to think in terms of percentages. That one-hit mega punch isn't going to work all the time. It just isn't. It's nice to get your position before you attempt to submit your opponent.

And that's why I'd prefer to defend my position before taking an offensive stance in most situations.

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have found that the more I learned, and the better I got at applying it, that during actual confrontations I have used Parrys much more then a block, and the times I do something akin to a block, it is actually a strong offensive strike that happens to work as a block. I think Blocks are more something that beginner types will use in a confrontation, or perhaps someone who is less comfortable with their skills.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score

More training you need, I think. :yoda:lol

First, I try not to get into "fights". If a situation escalates to where the other fellow has "put up his dukes" then I have likely made an error.

In terms of "self defense" ones first action is often a block, or some other method of avoiding the attack depending on its nature. Then following up with a counter attack, or as you put it "placing that one hitter quitter."

Of course, there's always the liklihood that your "hitter" doesn't "quitter" and you do find yourself in a "fight" scenario with both of you in fighting/defensive stances ready to carry on...

Even so, I think you'll be lots more successful if you keep from getting hit. So I reccomend blocking when applicable, a parry now and again, a bob and a weave, or at least a dodge of some sort. LOL

Good luck...and stay out of fights! :)

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have found that the more I learned, and the better I got at applying it, that during actual confrontations I have used Parrys much more then a block, and the times I do something akin to a block, it is actually a strong offensive strike that happens to work as a block. I think Blocks are more something that beginner types will use in a confrontation, or perhaps someone who is less comfortable with their skills.

...or until one realizes that "blocks" are actually indeed often times "strikes". :xtrmshock

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
Your darn right I've used blocks and parries. You don't go in and break up bar fights and use a "one hitter quitter" LOL. As a cop in the service and a punk young man who thought he could whoop the world when he first started out, I had plenty of opportunities to use blocks and as Celtic so kindly pointed out and as my old Kenpo Instructor always said, the block can be a strike also.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
All good points made here. I would also like to ad that not blocking can get you in trouble. In a self defense situation if the guy throws a punch and you side step, dodge or whatever you do to get out of the way and then knock the guy out onlookers can misconstrue it as you just unloading on a guy who swung nowhere near you. The block points out to everyone in the room that "hey, if my had was not here I would have gotten hurt!" Rather than you beating the crap out of a guy who swung 3 feet away from you.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I do not know about everybody else but our blocks are strikes, I mean a good hard block will do damage as well and then followed by the counter. How come so many act like a block is mearly a block? I gues I am too old school to believe that one must on the attack when they are defending themself.

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score
What is being defined as a real fight???
Are we talking a freak with a crowbar or some jerk pissed of becuase I took his parking spot.

If we are talking about someone intent on injuring me then I have to get to them first... so there will be no blocking involved(unless its a strike) just me charging to get the injuries going in my favor first.

I never posture up. I always assume a neutral position with palms faced away from me and hands no higher than my chin and no lower than my ribs.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have used some blocks in the past. As has already been stated, it depends on the situation. Some types of blocks and parry, I have never used and may never use.

And the, "One hitter, quitter shot?" I have seen many a people try it and most never even come close. Every time I had to fight for my life, I tried to hit with as many techniques as I could make land. Hoping the whole time that one of them would stop the fight. Those one shot KO attempts often leave the oneusing them wide open to getting busted up. That is why time and training give us an advantage, even if it is slight, in an altercation. JMO.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
What is being defined as a real fight???
Are we talking a freak with a crowbar or some jerk pissed of becuase I took his parking spot.

If we are talking about someone intent on injuring me then I have to get to them first... so there will be no blocking involved(unless its a strike) just me charging to get the injuries going in my favor first.

I never posture up. I always assume a neutral position with palms faced away from me and hands no higher than my chin and no lower than my ribs.

lol, ya he has a knife or crowbar or similar weapon and you are not going to block or otherwise evade the weapon? sure... I have to wonder if you have any training about weapons here..

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We don't block in my martial art, but we do strike at the limbs or deflect them by moving at certain angles. If a strike is comming at you, you have to do something to prevent from being hit whether it's blocking, parrying, or evading.

The important thing is that you turn a losing situation into a winning one.

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score
^^^^^
That makes sense to me.

Like when some one is swinging a blunt object like a bat or tire iron you wouldnt want to try to block it rather deflect with strikes if contact with the object is iminent... same holds true with the blade, if contact is iminent you wouldnt want to block it...

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score
lol, ya he has a knife or crowbar or similar weapon and you are not going to block or otherwise evade the weapon? sure... I have to wonder if you have any training about weapons here..

Here we go again.
Why dont you try asking without displaying an overtone of assumption in your reply about my training.

If you train to "block" blunt objects or sharp ones then thats your choice.
I disagree completely in the sense that there is great danger in training against tools in that matter... a sort of "deflection" would be in order and only if contact with the tool is iminent....
If a person pulls a knife...I am not going to wait for him to pick a part of my meat and start stabbing... I am going to get in on him and shut him off or I am going to evade him and escape... that all depends on whats at stake... I will run away and leave my wallet... but I will not leave another person to meet thier fate...
If a person decides to turn me into chum with a bat... I can get inside the arc of the swing and take him out or I can evade and escape... I dont want to dance around outside while hes picking parts of me to pommel...

No one said anything about "evading" or "escape"...
of course its better to be outside the arc on either but its also good to beinside the arc on blunt objects but not with sharp ones... with firearms being inside or behind the muzzle is paramount rather than being in front or beyond it (unless you are far away and there is cover)...

tools are always included in my training becuase its part of the trade...
I carry tools/labor saving devices everyday.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Here we go again.
Why dont you try asking without displaying an overtone of assumption in your reply about my training.

If you train to "block" blunt objects or sharp ones then thats your choice.
I disagree completely in the sense that there is great danger in training against tools in that matter... a sort of "deflection" would be in order and only if contact with the tool is iminent....
If a person pulls a knife...I am not going to wait for him to pick a part of my meat and start stabbing... I am going to get in on him and shut him off or I am going to evade him and escape... that all depends on whats at stake... I will run away and leave my wallet... but I will not leave another person to meet thier fate...
If a person decides to turn me into chum with a bat... I can get inside the arc of the swing and take him out or I can evade and escape... I dont want to dance around outside while hes picking parts of me to pommel...

No one said anything about "evading" or "escape"...
of course its better to be outside the arc on either but its also good to beinside the arc on blunt objects but not with sharp ones... with firearms being inside or behind the muzzle is paramount rather than being in front or beyond it (unless you are far away and there is cover)...

tools are always included in my training becuase its part of the trade...
I carry tools/labor saving devices everyday.

I understand where you're coming from, but it's asinine to think that you can always get on the inside arc of a swinging blunt object... or realize that a knife attack is coming...

Chances are, you won't see the knife coming... Or the bat swinging... You're just not that quick.

Why not learn to block? If not to supplement your existing art? It won't hurt to know those things. Believe me, I used to think that I'd be quick enough to dodge objects. Then I got hit by a blunt object and realized that no matter how I trained, or how fast I got, I can still get hit by something blunt or sharp if my opponent gets the drop on me.

I advise to learn more, and become a better fighter by knowing more.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score

I've parried punches in a real fight, not so much blocked. I did block a punch in a real fight with my skull......literally I ducked forward as he threw a punch and caught the punch on the frontal bone. Sucked to be him. Don't know if it hurt his hand, but it didn't hurt me at all.

I think parrying works in a real fight, but there isn't an awful lot of it.......one or two parries, some footwork, punches thrown and missed/hit, someone gets knocked down or both parties tie up to in-fighting.

Latest Discussions