Does anyone else feel silly doing a ki-ai while fighting?

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Is it neccessary? No.

Adept, you mentioned boxers. Troy Dorsey (former light weight ([maybe] IBF champ, & kickboxer) did kihap when boxing. It was a cross between exhaling & a kihap. Very interesting to watch!

I imagine it's much the same principle as someone like Maria Sharapova shouting whenever she hits the ball.

OP
Shotgun Buddha

Shotgun Buddha

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with thinking for yourself.
icon14.gif

Blasphemy. Rational thought is the sworn enemy of all martial artists.

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
As has been stated, it works on several levels, focus/breathing/distraction. The one thing that always stuck in my mind, was what our old Korean instructor said about the Ki hap. Think broken english here.........."Good Ki hap mean someone asleep on floor"....:lfao:

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I ve never done it but if it helps clear your mind and it saves your *** in a fight, meaning you come out winning or atleast with the advantage then why not

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I thought she did that just to get guys to watch tennis.:ultracool

So that stuff that is going on around her is called tennis? I do vaguely recall some sort of threaded stick thing passing between the camera lens and Ms. Sharapova a few times. Does that have something to do with this thing called tennis? It seems that there was an Anna K. that held a similar instrument.

Back to the ki-ai/ki-hap. . .

In point fighting it seems that the ki-ai is used to help influence judges that your strike was true. But, it must immediately be followed by a celebratory 'yes fist' in the air which proves you scored. ;)

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I say scream loud, throw a kick or punch, make a strange face (you kind of like "crazy eyes" for the movie The New Guy) and ki-ai real loud. I bet that throws off the other person.

B

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
As mentioned above, there are plenty of athletes who use kihaps — tennis players, power lifters, football players.

I use them when sparring — not the showy, drawn out kind, but short explosive kihaps as I score.

Judges (and my opponent) know that I KNEW I was going to score, that it wasn't a feint and that I knew it was going to connect with them instead of a block.

It is something I've trained, so I don't even have to think about it anymore.

And nobody seems amused by it in the least while sparring me :)

I also kihap when I get hit with a hard body shot: it keeps me from getting the wind knocked out of me.

Latest Discussions