would you kick in a real fight

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mike
I would use kicks. I have long legs and I like to kick. No super high kicks, rarely spinning kicks, mostly front, roundhouse or sidekicks to the ribs/solar plexus/chest area. My legs offer me the ability to strike hard AND maintain distance.
Mike. I am in the same position here. My legs allow for kicks at a range that is outside most other peoples range. I don't use high kicks as they leave me feeling vulnerable. Low kicks to the knee, thigh and groin are my favorites. Kicks seem to have a psychological effect on people that makes them a bit more hesitant to attack.

M

Mormegil

Something that some people might want to think about when kicking (especially high) when in an SD situation is... shoes.

Many here train bare-footed, or otherwise have athletic shoes on. You might have dressy shoes on, with lousy grip when attacked.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Many here train bare-footed, or otherwise have athletic shoes on. You might have dressy shoes on, with lousy grip when attacked.

AND we tend to train on open flat surfaces with nothing around that would trip us.

The up side to shoes such as you describe is that they have hard soles. I got kicked by one of those once. Took a major divot out of my shin.

Regards,

Steve

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
WE train in the fields, on hillsides, in water, and on uneven floors.
we train outside when we can in different typs of weather( not so much when its below zero, I can't take it anymore my bones are old)
I would use most anything in a real fight , kicks bitting, eye gouges, knees, sticks, rocks, sand , etc.

2fisted

Originally posted by Mike
I have long legs and I like to kick.

I have little short penguin legs, hence my hesitation in kicking. :D I need to be pretty close to pull a kick off, so I'd rather have already blended with the bad guy's attach to get in close, deliver a hand technique or two, THEN put a kick in there.

B

Black Bear

Kicking is good.

- never as an initial entry
- usually low. The two most effective kicks are roundhouse shin to the peroneal and front kick to the knee or groin.
- never with multiple opponents, because kicking freezes your footwork.
- kicking the guy in the head is okay if his head is on the ground, or at least below your waist level.

T

ThuNder_FoOt

Originally posted by Black Bear
Kicking is good.

- never as an initial entry
- usually low. The two most effective kicks are roundhouse shin to the peroneal and front kick to the knee or groin.
- never with multiple opponents, because kicking freezes your footwork.
- kicking the guy in the head is okay if his head is on the ground, or at least below your waist level.

Interesting.

I have a different opinion. Anything goes in a self-defense situation.... especially with multiple opponents. I feel kicks don't freeze up your footwork anymore than punches. However, your balance may be somewhat comprimised. But when dealing with mulitple opponents, you must make sure that your technique is immobilizing the FIRST time. And personally, I believe a well-placed kick is more than qualified.

I personally like to utilize kicks initially to set-up my attack. Or to keep my opponent on the outside. Additionally, a kick will "more often than not" be the first weapon in available range.

Real Fighting... it's safest to keep all tools readily available. Endless possibilities means endless opportunities.

:asian:
THuNdeR_FoOT

R

Rob Wilson

Hey, why not use what you've got? If you can kick, great. I am not much of a kicker above the waist- in fact my legs are pretty sluggish overall as I prefer them on the ground or on the gas pedal.

I don't know too much about the real world. I wouldn't want to be the guy with best round kick in the gunfight, though. :(

B

Black Bear

As soon as either of your feet departs the terrestrial sphere and enters someone's groinal region, you lose the ability to shift your momentum. Then ppl swarm on you (if they know what the hell they're doing).

Multiple attackers = moving around, stacking your opponents, and a jab movement (boxing jab, eyepoke, etc.) as a primary tool.

Spar it out, you'll see.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
I disagree with the notion that a kick isn't a good entry. I've found it to be an excellent entry, and a great way to set up hand shots. You can also use it to enter into grappling.

As far as people swarming you off of a kick, that depends on the kick and when and where...and how well...its applied.

Regards,

Steve

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Originally posted by Black Bear
As soon as either of your feet departs the terrestrial sphere and enters someone's groinal region, you lose the ability to shift your momentum. Then ppl swarm on you (if they know what the hell they're doing).

Multiple attackers = moving around, stacking your opponents, and a jab movement (boxing jab, eyepoke, etc.) as a primary tool.

Spar it out, you'll see.

I have sparred it out and I have to say that I agree with Thunder_foot and hardheadjarhead. Kicks work just fine against mutiple opponents and as first attacks if you know when to use them.

JD_Nelson

Green Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Been in a street fight or two. All before any formal martial arts training. If you count knees as a kicks, then yes I have. I have used the knee to the face while forcing their head towards the knee. This was not a fight stopper like I alwasy thought it would be. This move was very devestating, drugs and alcohol were involved concerning my attacker.

This "kick" was a tide turner. And took a lot of steam out of my attacker. The closer to the fight was a straight right to the chin.

In answer to the question, yes I have, and yes I would. Knowing how fragile the human body is, I would suggest round house kicks to the legs or body, front kicks to the abdomen area.

humbly,

JD

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jes' makin' fun.

I thought so.

You know, however, at the highest levels of the martial arts, the students can punch with their feet and kick with their hands.

They can also taste colors, see odors, hear flavors, and feel noises. That, and walking on rice paper...which is pretty basic.

I learned that from Master Moo Goo and Master Gai Pan.

Regards,

Steve

Latest Discussions