new blocking question

M

Master of Blades

When free sparring in class or with my friends the only way to win is to make the other person submit. Because most of my friends are kickers and even on one occasion Biters :shrug: I find it hard to get close. The easiest thing for me to do is block but move in while doing it to form a counter etc. Sure its painful but its a lot less painful then just evading and getting hit until you end up on the floor. Thats my theory anyway....You gotta take pain to give pain. And god knows its built up my endurance to pain!

M

muayThaiPerson

Originally posted by cfr

Please forgive my ignorance here. I am not concered with it hurting. Im concerned with me blocking as Ive described and my hand or wrist being shattered so I can no longer defend myself. Does this ever happen or am I just being a paranoid bonehead? (possible)

with the muay thai block(for a punch), is liek the one in boxing, you block w/the arm. as for kicks, in TKD, they use arms for low adn high kicks i belive. and in MT, we lift up the arm and the leg, which is very good because if they hit your knee, itll be over.

M

muayThaiPerson

Block a hook
pic00016.jpg

M

muayThaiPerson

thats like one way of blocking, you can lift ur leg higher if u want

pic00006.jpg

OP
C

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by muayThaiPerson

with the muay thai block(for a punch), is liek the one in boxing, you block w/the arm. as for kicks, in TKD, they use arms for low adn high kicks i belive. and in MT, we lift up the arm and the leg, which is very good because if they hit your knee, itll be over.

My bad. I should have been more specific. Im worried about my wrist/ hand being shattered more from blocking a cross (hands in front of face) than from a hook. Im starting to realize though that its probably unlikely???

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes that is exactly what I was referring to CFR. It hurts but won't shatter your wrist. Of course there are always freak accidents. I once saw a guy lightly block a kick with his forearm and his arm broke. Crazy stuff can happen for little to no reason sometimes.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

M

muayThaiPerson

the cross and jab are blocked with the arms. here:
the hands dont have to be open like that, it can be closed to a fist

pic00018.jpg

OP
C

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score

the cross and jab are blocked with the arms. here:
the hands dont have to be open like that, it can be closed to a fist

pic00018.jpg

What if the palms are inwards? So it is definately bone exposed.

M

muayThaiPerson

Then you should keep them out, and besides, no one will punch over you head. its not like people who you fight will try to aim for your hand:asian:

OP
C

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Have you ever blocked palms in? Ever done it without gloves. If so, any damage? Im perhaps being too worried here about it damaging my hand/ wrist. Im not someone who gets in lots of fights. I just dont want a false sense of security. I want to avoid finding out my way of blocking does me more damage than my attacker at the wrong time. I also dont want to be trained one way in class and try to do something else when it really counts. Thank you sooooo much for all your help and insight.

M

muayThaiPerson

yes i have blocked like that, but i dont just block and wait for the next move. i usually throw a push kick when they throw a jab/cross.

dont worry, the blocck is with the arms not the hands. and dont forget u have legs, because when u block, your stomach is somewat open, so lift ur knee up a bit.

lemme tell u that experience is everythign, dont rely on the methods of blocking 100%, over time, you will get faster and your techniques will improve. no matter what art u do, what i just said applies to all.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
CFR, I think I told you like 4 different ways that blocking like that will NOT break your damn wrists omg! Gloves - no gloves, wrists in - wrists out - wrists sideways, you will not break! haha is it that you don't believe me?

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

M

MartialArtist

The people above are right...

No blocking is the best. You can do anything to dodge it, there are so many things you can do. Slip, weave, use footwork (sidestep, retreat, etc.), etc. and you can use them in combination (slip while sidestepping).

Remember, you have so many angles to move your feet. You have so many angles to move your body.

Parrying is the next best thing.

There is still contact made in a block. Sometimes, it hurts. If you use the wrong block at the wrong time, like using a fast block for less powerful attacks when the guy does a round kick will just break your arm. You can "cushion" with certain blocks to dissapate some power.

OP
C

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Damian Mavis

CFR, I think I told you like 4 different ways that blocking like that will NOT break your damn wrists omg! Gloves - no gloves, wrists in - wrists out - wrists sideways, you will not break! haha is it that you don't believe me?

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Damian, yes I beleive you. All was good in my mind till I saw the picture of the guy with his palms out. I didnt know if we were on the same page that whole time or not. I didnt know if during that whole conversation you were talking "out" while I was talking "in". Obviously Im making WAY to big of deal out of this. As I said before Im tired of bouncing from school to school. I want to stay put @ the next one for a while. I promise to not be such a pain in the *** in the future. Thanks for all your help and patience.:D

OP
C

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
First 6 months were in a garage doing one on ones. He combined alot of different stuff. Loved it. Would have stayed with him forever but he moved. Next 6 months were Hapkido. Liked the style but it was a very plush, baby the students so they dont get hurt type of school. Next 3 months were Kenpo. Liked it, but forms are just not for me. No offense to the forms lovers out there. It seems as though there are 2 schools of thought on forms and they werent for me. Plus my foot was injured so it made it easier to leave.

M

muayThaiPerson

it doesnt soudn like u trained long enough. i think ur relying on the techniuques tooo much. its all the fighter.

M

muayThaiPerson

Martial Arts is better than No Martial Arts. shouldnt u be concerned about breaking your wrist because u dont know how to block??? instead of worrying about which way is the safest?

A

Angus

it doesnt soudn like u trained long enough. i think ur relying on the techniuques tooo much. its all the fighter.

Didn't you say that you've only been training for 5-6 months? That's less than him.

I'm also of the don't block/eat the attack unless you have to. There are so many ways to go around the attack and still set yourself up for an attack that I'd much rather do that. I don't like the jab/cross block that MTP posted the picture for (the double pillar block) because a) he should've had his hands clinched, which shows he wears gloves a lot, and b) it's too slow to effectively counter with your hands after using that, so they'll either know legs or coming or will see the punch from a mile away. It's pretty rarely used outside of pure boxing.

OP
C

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score

Martial Arts is better than No Martial Arts. shouldnt u be concerned about breaking your wrist because u dont know how to block??? instead of worrying about which way is the safest?

I personally feel its a pretty valid concern.