What's your most controversial, non-political opinion?

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike Tyson had a hard time with tall guys with good jabs, right from the Golden Gloves and Olympic hopes to the end of his career.

Muhammad Ali was the very definition of a tall guy with a a great jab.
So, I'm right.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
My 11 year old asked me recently who would have won this theoritical match and I had a difficult time answering.

I think that Ali was a much better boxer, but no one in history punched harder than Tyson. That would have been some fight.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I was picking up a delivery today at a Ruby Tuesday's, and they had Mr. Roboto on. I still can't help singing along with that. I had that on cassette tape back in the day - wore out three of them, I listened to it so much.
Their earlier stuff was great. Paradise theater, equinox, crystal ball. I still have several of their albums on vinyl.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Goonies" is the Best. Movie. Ever.

My kids wore out 2-3 VCR copies.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not from the PacNW originally. I remember this movie being out, but never heard anything about it until we moved up here. It is a regional gold standard. I've seen it several times because it's always on for the kids at a house party or projected on a building in the summer at a neighborhood outdoor movie gathering.

It's ... fine. o_O

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My 11 year old asked me recently who would have won this theoritical match and I had a difficult time answering.

I think that Ali was a much better boxer, but no one in history punched harder than Tyson. That would have been some fight.
Tyson was a wrecking ball earlier in his career. A big reason why he was such an explosive puncher was because he always had clean shots. He always slipped, got to the right angle, and just unleashed. His head, shoulders, and feet never stopped moving.

Then it because unquestionable that he was the hardest puncher in the world and he could knock anyone out with one punch. What did he do? He stopped moving, stood straight up and became a glorified punching bag for anyone with a decent reach. Watch his movement against Spinks, Holmes, etc. and compare it to vs Lewis, Holyfield, etc. Sure those guys were much better competition, but just focus on Tyson’s movement. It became relatively nonexistent. I honestly think he wouldn’t have had much of a problem with those guys if he kept moving like he did earlier on in his career. D’Amato, Atlas and Rooney kept him hungry and motivated. After D’Amato passed away, Tyson slowly surrounded himself with “yes men.” Guys who wouldn’t challenge his work ethic and training methods. He allegedly trained less than a week for the Buster Douglas fight. And it caught up with him.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You monster!
As I read this, I was putting toothpaste on my toothbrush. Squeezing the middle of the tube to do so.

You monster!

I never squeezed from the middle before....until just now.

Toothpaste.png

I think @kempodisciple and I are now officially Monsters Inc!

Latest Discussions