Lockpicking

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am getting quite good at picking pintumbler locks.
It's really all about understanding the bind- checking the bind with strong torque as well as releasing tension with ultra light torque.
I have successfully picked a number of locks recently including my home 5pin lock just about 10 times. Now i'm working on 7 pin lock but having trouble with finding the perfect tool to fit into the tiny openings.

Raking, scrubbing, feeling is there to 1. Set a pin or two 2. Locating the pin that is binding the most and working on pushing it down just enough.
Without that, one doesn't really have any orientation or assurance.
3. Knowing that correct technique should not take more than a minute or two, one has to know when to start over.

scrubbing with very light torque is also really good, but working on the binding pins gives you more assurance and orientation as to what is going on inside.

It all started when i was forced to recall my basic knowledge when i locked myself out of my own locker at a hostel in amsterdam.

Btw, i have used nothing more than paper clips...i have come up with innovative designs for wrenches and with the exception of the metal being a bit too soft sometimes and bending, they work fine as picks.
Lately i made far better wrenches from the metal strip that is inside car windshieldwipers...very perfect indeed.

Now im ready to get myself a pickset-because, pickset is worthless if you don't got the skills.

Anyone on here able to shed yet more light on the matter-please do!

j

j

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am getting quite good at picking pintumbler locks.
It's really all about understanding the bind- checking the bind with strong torque as well as releasing tension with ultra light torque.
I have successfully picked a number of locks recently including my home 5pin lock just about 10 times. Now i'm working on 7 pin lock but having trouble with finding the perfect tool to fit into the tiny openings.

Raking, scrubbing, feeling is there to 1. Set a pin or two 2. Locating the pin that is binding the most and working on pushing it down just enough.
Without that, one doesn't really have any orientation or assurance.
3. Knowing that correct technique should not take more than a minute or two, one has to know when to start over.

scrubbing with very light torque is also really good, but working on the binding pins gives you more assurance and orientation as to what is going on inside.

It all started when i was forced to recall my basic knowledge when i locked myself out of my own locker at a hostel in amsterdam.

Btw, i have used nothing more than paper clips...i have come up with innovative designs for wrenches and with the exception of the metal being a bit too soft sometimes and bending, they work fine as picks.
Lately i made far better wrenches from the metal strip that is inside car windshieldwipers...very perfect indeed.

Now im ready to get myself a pickset-because, pickset is worthless if you don't got the skills.

Anyone on here able to shed yet more light on the matter-please do!

j

j

One of the police supply catalogs I have offers a lock pick set..I will look and give you a name..

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Musta got tossed out...Do a Google search and look for Lock Pick.com I believe is the companies name....

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
One of the police supply catalogs I have offers a lock pick set..I will look and give you a name..

Am I the only one who thinks it's weird that a police supply catalog offers a lock pick set? Do they sell meth lab kits too?

OP
K

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't think it is a requirement for most police officers, but leo often need persons with such skills. The battering ram is not always the best option.

j

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I don't think it is a requirement for most police officers, but leo often need persons with such skills. The battering ram is not always the best option.

j

I learned how to pick locks as a member of a law enforcement explorers post. Mostly, I learned that it isn't as easy as show in the movies. :D

OP
K

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There's no way around tons of practice and sufficient study of theory. Practice makes perfect.
Once the pins are set, it all gravy from there.

Actually, i find the tips i gave above are quite helpful. The thing im wondering about mostly is different kinds of locks like magnetic keys- micropoints etc. car locks for example are usualy a double pintumbler system-not easy but technically doable, however, micropoints etc, i can only imagine creating a copy key or having to think up other wafer style picks.?

I think i got the pintumbler locks pretty down now...like i said, one must understand the binding force. binding pins are stiff because they are under pressure. By sensing and releasing that pressure, presto, the cylinder is freed.

j

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks it's weird that a police supply catalog offers a lock pick set? Do they sell meth lab kits too?
Actually, there's lots of reasons cops might need a lockpick set. Maybe we don't want to kick that door in on a meth lab... Or, like one call I handled, the little boy locks mommy out of the house because he's been taught to always close the door. :D Had to climb on the roof, slip in through an open window (pause to check the baby) and let mom in that time. Lock picks might have been handy, huh?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This can be a useful skill in certain professions.
icon6.gif

Latest Discussions