What's your most controversial, non-political opinion?

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you guys don't know the movie I was quoting, we're gonna have a problem!
The sequel's in the can, I think. I enjoyed that movie, even though Eddie Murphy stole it from Art Buchwald, and you call the man "Ali," because that's what he wanted to be called. Period. Full stop.

(Calling him "Clay" is like calling him "draft dodger." Just wrong.)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Umm hmm that’s right. He always be Clay to me I don’t give a F what he change his name to.

Do you call all married women then who changed their names to their husband's by their maiden name? Lots of people change names for lots of reasons, it would be just rude not to call them by whatever name they've chosen for themselves, it's not like his family chose the name 'Clay' for themselves in the first place.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes! I just never got into The Beatles... I know they were a very big deal for that time, (even though I wasn't around at that time), but I just can't get into them.
There are a few of their songs I like well enough, but nothing more impressive than some of the decent '80's music, really, and some of that came from one-hit wonders.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are a few of their songs I like well enough, but nothing more impressive than some of the decent '80's music, really, and some of that came from one-hit wonders.

I've always loved classical music . It was what I heard at home and I grew to appreciate and love it. The Beatles however are for people my age a nostalgia thing, a time when we were kids. I don't dislike modern music, I usually like whatever is being played. I have no particular fondness for any music from any particular era nor do I think it's better than 'modern' music, which so many do.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
John Oliver is evidence that Americans do understand and appreciate sarcasm and irony.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No. The charged state has a higher specific gravity because the electrolyte is denser.
The electrolyte is denser because it has more "stuff" in it.
The discharged state has a lower specific gravity because "stuff" has deposited on the anodes

Sigh.

For those following this, I'm going to take it as a teachable moment.

Let us consider, first, the cake. Or banana bread. I made two loaves today. I mixed up a batter, put it into the oven, and added energy to it in the form of heat. Did its mass increase? Did its weight increaseNo. In fact, odds are good that it decreased, even though it came out quite hot from added energy.

Let us then consider a rock in the sun. At afternoon, the rock is quite hot from having absorbed energy. In fact, here in New Mexico in the summer, you could well fry an egg on the rock, which has had energy added to it. Has its mass increased? Has its weight increased? No. Its volume has likely increased somewhat measurably, due to thermal expansion, but the "amount of stuff" (the engineer's definition of mass) has not increased. The potential energy due to distance from the center of the earth (part of the knuckle-dragging engineer's definition of weight) has not changed. It weighs the same.

Remember that potential energy, though.

If I take that same rock I was talking about, and put it up on a shelf, say three meters above the ground, I've increased its gravitational potential energy-it has more energy falling 9 meters to the ground than it does falling 5 or 6 cm.

More to the point, take that same rock to 10000 ft above the ground, or to the top of Everest, or to a plane at 35000 ft above ground, and each time its potential energy due to gravity has obviously increased, but its weight will actually (and measurably) decreased due to distance from the center of the earth.

The rock in Death Valley weighs more, but has less energy than the same rock on Mt. Everest.

Lastly, only way a spring weighs more compressed is by pushing against a scale, which isn't really measuring its "weight." Hold that spring compressed by binding it in some way, and put it on the scale, and the only difference will be the weight of the binding material.

The way a battery works, the flow of electrons is from cathode to anode-from the negatively charged pole that stores electrons to the positively charged one that attracts them-those little bits of "stuff." The flow of electrons is what we call "electricity," and its potential is what we call voltage. When a battery is discharged-zero voltage-it has lost all potential, and the electrons, the "stuff" are on the anode. Almost as though they were rocks that had fallen of a cliff (cathode) to the ground (anode). When we charge a battery, we are not "adding energy," we are pushing the electrons back to the cathode. We are not adding "stuff," in fact, the charged lead-acid battery may weigh less, due to lost hydrogen from the electrolyte-which is why we have to periodically add water. By charging the battery, you haven't really added anything-you have recatalyzed the chemical reaction that produces the flow of electrons called electricity.

To sum up: in most cases, there is no difference in weight between a charged battery and a discharged one.
sigh indeed

whats becoming obvious is your being dishonest, if your being honest about your qualification your just spewing out waffle to cover up your error or you are misleading about your qualification

i said nothing about potential energy which just means that patronising diatribe just inconvenience million of electrons for no good reason

SO, if we are conducting what could be an interesting and light chit chat in patronising way

lets take Einstein's famous equation, not the field equations, there not nearly as famous e=mc2

the subtext of that is not only is there a proportionality between mass and energy, they are in fact the same physical entity expressed in different units, in this case to avoid knuckle dragging, kinetic energy of the particles in joules and the rest mass of the object in KG

so,,, e=mc2 clearly indicates, even to you, i hope, that if you increase the mass, it gives a higher level for energy ?

if we transpose the formula to

m=e/mc2

then its just as clear if we increase the energy we all so increase the mass

ergo the particles in the charged battery or the compressed spring have greater kinetic energy than the alliterative states and ergo the object has greater mass, a very very small amount more, i admit, but non the less its there

now your not going to admit your error, that much is obvious so il dig out that vid lecture by an esteemed scientist who clearly has a greater knowledge and is better at explaining it than myself, though this may take some time to find

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always loved classical music . It was what I heard at home and I grew to appreciate and love it. The Beatles however are for people my age a nostalgia thing, a time when we were kids. I don't dislike modern music, I usually like whatever is being played. I have no particular fondness for any music from any particular era nor do I think it's better than 'modern' music, which so many do.
I get that. There are definitely things from the 70's and 80's that I like only because they were what I listened to back then.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do you call all married women then who changed their names to their husband's by their maiden name? Lots of people change names for lots of reasons, it would be just rude not to call them by whatever name they've chosen for themselves, it's not like his family chose the name 'Clay' for themselves in the first place.
You obviously have no clue what I’m doing there. This’ll help clear up any confusion...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You obviously have no clue what I’m doing there. This’ll help clear up any confusion...

Actually I'm not confused, you clearly don't understand irony. Sigh.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Styx and don't care WHO KNOWS IT!!!!
I was picking up a delivery today at a Ruby Tuesday's, and they had Mr. Roboto on. I still can't help singing along with that. I had that on cassette tape back in the day - wore out three of them, I listened to it so much.