• 6th Dan

• 7th Dan

• 8th Dan

• 9th Dan

Results are only viewable after voting.

RED

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Listed in order of the schools I attended.

The first one is still my favorite.

1st. 9th degree ITF
2nd 3rd degree ITF
3rd 2nd degree Tang so do
4th 9th WTF
5th 4th WTF
6th 3rd Okinawan Karate
7th and current 2nd degree WTF. The older BBs know the ITF forms which is a plus.

I think I'm done moving around the world and all so this will probably be my last school. I was a military dependant.

Muwubu16858

Green Belt
Reaction score
My Teacher has the following:

9th Dan Korea Soo Bahk Do Association, Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan
9th Dan Korea Karate-Do Association (Ji Do Kwan)
9th Dan Korea Taekwondo Association
9th Dan Korea Taekwondo Moo Duk Kwan Association (Moo Duk He)
9th Dan Kukiwon
5th Dan Y.M.C.A. Taekwondo(Korea Taekwondo Association)
4th Dan Kodokan Judo

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, I thought it was TKD instructors. But I'll give the list hehehehehe

My TSD instructor 5th dan
TKD instructor now is 3rd dan (but I did train with the head for a number of years and he's 8th dan).
Jujitsu 5th dan
Judo 5th dan (I didn't train more than a year, tho).

Plus I dabbled in a few other arts here and there. Not enough to count. Muay Thai and Hapkido, blah blah. Never got ranks, tho. But it was fun.

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
My instructor is a 1st dan in Shaolin Kempo Karate and has been doing it for about 4-5 years.

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My instructor is a 2nd Dan ITF, and just about to grade. His instructor is 4th Dan ITF.

At the last seminar I attended there was a few other instructors and I compared them to mine, in my opinion, although probably biased, he's better than the 3rd Dans that were there. My instructor is also my Personal Trainer too and kills me whenever we session. I'm actually hobbling around right now with very stiff legs because we "upped the anti" on my weights program three days ago..... right before a lesson.

Oh yes did I mention he's a fitness bully? ;)

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
For the 2 schools I attend, one is a 4th dan and the other is a 2nd dan.

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My instructor is a GrandMaster of his own system. My other instructor is a 3rd degree. My former instructors were 6th dan and 9th dan.

TraditionalTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
How can he be Grandmaster of his own system unless he gave himself rank? Unfortunarely, I would not be surprised by that.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You know, I think I may have to take up TKD at some point because you chaps keep drawing me into threads in your fora and I always feel a bit like I've walked in to someone party without actually knowing them :D.

That was meant to be complimentary by the way, I just didn't phrase it very well :O.

Anyhow, altho' not a Tae Kwan Do practitioner, my Sensei is 5th Dan MJER Iaido and 6th Dan Karate (plus a sprinkling of other Dans in Judo, Ju-Jitsu, Kendo ... ).

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You know, I think I may have to take up TKD at some point because you chaps keep drawing me into threads in your fora and I always feel a bit like I've walked in to someone party without actually knowing them :D.

That was meant to be complimentary by the way, I just didn't phrase it very well :O.

Anyhow, altho' not a Tae Kwan Do practitioner, my Sensei is 5th Dan MJER Iaido and 6th Dan Karate (plus a sprinkling of other Dans in Judo, Ju-Jitsu, Kendo ... ).

Cool, let me know I'll hook you up, I get a finders fee.... :lol:

It did come over as a compliment S, you are welcome here any time, pull up a chair!

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wade,
You made a valid point about combined ranking. Last year I was touring in Europe and during which time I met with many great martial artists. I met with a few instructors who were claiming high ranking. During converstions with these instructors students it was mentioned that their instructor had multi ranking. example,
Shodan - Kempo
Nidan - Jujitsu
Yondan - Tae Kwon do
Shodan - Kendo
I would then ask them in what style does your instructor have his 8th Dan, the reply was if you add all of the ranks up it equals 8th Dan.
Over here in the states this sort of thing is starting.
I know, I am a little of subject.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would then ask them in what style does your instructor have his 8th Dan, the reply was if you add all of the ranks up it equals 8th Dan.
Over here in the states this sort of thing is starting.

Starting? The "5th Dan + 5th Dan = Soke" rule has been used by certain organizatios for years.

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Cirdan,
I understand what you are saying but I don't agree with this. After 43 years this sort of thing is all new to me. I believe that,
You earn what you earn, not what it can be multiplied up to.
:cool:
Yes I know, off topic again.
:-offtopic

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not that my opinion should be seen to carry any particular weight but I concur with Lawdogs comment above.

A breadth of 'Dans' shows flexability in learning, which is good, but should not be used to overly 'elevate' someone.

A divergent example, outside the field of martial arts may help illustrate my reasoning.

Not trying to make myself out to be some sort of genie-ouse here, just drawing on what I know.

I have (various level) degrees in Economics, Computer Studies and Museum Studies - I can't 'multiply' all those together and call myself a Doctor for the simple fact that I haven't earned my Phd.

If I did make such a claim, it would not be unreasonable for someone like Exile, who has attained such academic 'rank', to both be upset by such a claim and perhaps even take steps to have such a fallacious title quashed.

Anyhow, as ever, I'm slightly wandering off the 'beam' here - sorry {sneaks away to sit quietly in the chair Shaderon kindly offered :D}.

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
My instructor survived the East L.A. school of hard knocks :cool: and is also 7th Dan (Lakan Pito) in Kombatan Arnis.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I joined my current instructor's school when I was a Blue Belt and he was a Second Degree. I took over the school in 1994 after his move. I'm now Fifth Degree; he's now a Sixth Degree Master Instructor.

HelloKitty

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm curious about what your instructor's rank is. I just wonder what the average rank would be. Call it a spin off from the "what rank are you" thread we have every so often.

Hm I'm almost sure grand master is 8th dan.

DArnold

Purple Belt
Reaction score
No offense but counting stripes on a belt means little now-a-days, last year well actually three years ago in Atlanta we had the honor:shrug:, to meet an 12th degree tkd'ist, I know they only go to tem but he had 12 stripes on his belt, what a goof off.

AHHHH
Piano belt!

tkdboy81

White Belt
Reaction score
I actually had two instructors. One is currently a fouth dan and the other is currently a fith dan. They closed down their school a while back and I am now in the process in checking out a school where the instructor is a nineth or tenth dan.

Latest Discussions