What's the thing that annoys you the most with some martial arts?

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think it's clear that Reality Based Self Defense has taught us that the only sensible attire is complete nudity. Any clothes inhibit your movement and allow the opponent the opportunity to grab your clothing. From now on when I'm going to the club I'm walking in swinging. In fact, I'm not going to wear any clothes anywhere. It only makes sense.

-Rob

drunken mistress

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Believe me having your clothing grabbed is a lot more comfortable than if anything else is grabbed. Naked sparring sounds about as good an idea as naked barbecueing and I say that as someone who is happy to be naturist in most other circumstances.

OP
B

Black Bear

I used to believe that clothing choice should be on the basis of "ecological validity", the whole "well you're not going to wear a gi and go barefoot when you're in the street", blah blah blah.

This was a lie. I was lying. I was kidding myself. Think about it: I do not wear a t-shirt and sweats on the street either. Or wrestling shoes. Or a mouthguard, or a cup. (That said, I generally prefer functional clothing I can move well in.)

Of course we don't wear what we'd wear on the street, to train. Because we'd wreck it. When I'm REALLY attacked while wearing a suit and tie (a tearaway tie, of course), I'll deal with it. I'll wreck my outfit then. As they say of street attacks, ***** happens and you shovel the *****. I'm willing to ruin nice clothes to protect myself or those I care about. I'm not going to deliberately expose it to peril on a daily basis.

Training clothing should be based on comfort and functionality. Ecological validity has really very little to do with it.

The only thing wrong with gis and kooky Asian uniforms is if it is in support of image (self-concept, or corporate self-concept as (a) martial arts badass(es)), AND that image eclipses performance.

Might as well wear regular workout clothes. Most people already own some. But really, strong, loose cotton or hemp, with a drawstring such as most MA uniforms are made of, is almost just as "practical" for self-defense training. (Albeit silly in my opinion, but de gustibus non est disputandum--matters of taste should not be disputed.)

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Black Bear said:
I used to believe that clothing choice should be on the basis of "ecological validity", the whole "well you're not going to wear a gi and go barefoot when you're in the street", blah blah blah.

This was a lie. I was lying. I was kidding myself. Think about it: I do not wear a t-shirt and sweats on the street either. Or wrestling shoes. Or a mouthguard, or a cup. (That said, I generally prefer functional clothing I can move well in.)

Of course we don't wear what we'd wear on the street, to train. Because we'd wreck it. When I'm REALLY attacked while wearing a suit and tie (a tearaway tie, of course), I'll deal with it. I'll wreck my outfit then. As they say of street attacks, ***** happens and you shovel the *****. I'm willing to ruin nice clothes to protect myself or those I care about. I'm not going to deliberately expose it to peril on a daily basis.

Training clothing should be based on comfort and functionality. Ecological validity has really very little to do with it.

The only thing wrong with gis and kooky Asian uniforms is if it is in support of image (self-concept, or corporate self-concept as (a) martial arts badass(es)), AND that image eclipses performance.

Might as well wear regular workout clothes. Most people already own some. But really, strong, loose cotton or hemp, with a drawstring such as most MA uniforms are made of, is almost just as "practical" for self-defense training. (Albeit silly in my opinion, but de gustibus non est disputandum--matters of taste should not be disputed.)

Usually once a winter, our club will get our winter clothes on and train in them. No heat turned on then, so, not sweating to death. It is nice to see everyone complain, yet is also nice to see them realize what the large baulky clothing means for offense and defense.

And when I used to work the streets or the door, I would wear a cup, no mouth piece though. So, it is good to train like you fight. You never know when something will break out on the beach and you might be barefoot and no shirt ;)

:asian:

OP
B

Black Bear

Rich, you are right to train with different clothing, just as some folks train with a sling on one arm, or an eye patch, or out of a chair, etc. We do things like that as well.

But what I'm saying is that when people use ecological validity as a reason for NOT training in a gi or something, that's not the real reason. They just say it because they heard it said before. But there's no logic to it.

Pro-form makes an amazing mouthguard that is two-piece, transparent, practically invisible. You can talk perfectly in them. I love it for use in simulation. The local police service uses them as well. I guess they could be theoretically used in the field for something like door supervising.

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
Its frustrating for me when I get things wrong, especially performing my forms and being criticised for it! last night it seemed like it was all going against me! We had to perform some of our forms in front of my instructor. When it was my turn I just got all flustered and forgot what the next move was half way through a form. Then me and 2 other high grades had to drill this form. The 2 little black sashes who were more of a hindrance than a help were totally confusing us and kind of got us into to trouble as one was talking about the particular form and there wasn't enough doing! I don't want to sound disrespectful even if they are higher grades. Because they are so young their teaching abilities leave a lot to be desired. One of them a little boy of about 11 will go through a form and won't even slow down to help us. I guess he gets carried away and I get confused because I have been taught some moves from various forms by different people and they all have their different ways of teaching, so i have merely learned other people's mistakes!
The fact that training is only twice a week doesn't help that much, considering my grading is coming up very soon. I would like more training time but it doesn't seem possible. Although I do as much as I can at home!

OP
L

lifewise

superdave said:
Another thing that really irks me, is when people trash other styles and systems, they don't have any knowledge of. Lots of people form opinions based on second hand information.:eek:

The trashing other styles and systems has to be one of the most annoying things about martial arts!

Latest Discussions