What's the thing that annoys you the most with some martial arts?

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by OULobo
While I have the greatest respect for Tito and the bunch, but How will Tito do in Afghanistan right now?

Unarmed, I don't think anyone will fair well.

Militarily armed, he would be fine.

Last time I checked bullets beat a martial artists sword. :D

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by akja
Unarmed, I don't think anyone will fair well.

Militarily armed, he would be fine.

Last time I checked bullets beat a martial artists sword. :D

True enough, but I have to put a little more faith in tactics, training and experience dealing with combat, not just ring fighting.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Black Bear
You may use a stick of your choice. However, the committee is debating whether, in your case, providing a gorilla mask will really be necessary.

The mask has been an issue of discussion. Some people think without it I am breaking the rules of certain rules of warfare and treaties. It also prevents them from just running away in fear efore I get a chance to hit them with a stick :D.

Operative word is "brags about". Your street experience is a definite asset, I'm not putting that to question at all. And that's exactly the point: you avoided more.

I will work on bragging more :(

One instructor of mine used to tell people that he was going to "dance class"instead of martial arts so that idiots wouldn't start making a big deal of it, or punching him and saying, "what would you do if a guy did this?" So I tried this, and naturally someone immediately asked me "what kind of dance?" I never bothered with this silly mendacity again.

I just reply, I choose not to hurt you. Would you really like me to hurt you?

I heard someone call this "fisking" because of some internet pundit by the name of Fisk. I don't really know about that.

No Comment, I cannot confirm not deny this statement.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by OULobo
True enough, but I have to put a little more faith in tactics, training and experience dealing with combat, not just ring fighting.

If we didn't have faith in our training then we'd be wasting our time.

:asian:

OP
B

Black Bear

SBG members (Matt Thornton is mat buddies with Couture) when addressing what they call the "street vs. sport myth", points out that martial artists and tactical geeks assume that so-called sport fighters don't carry guns. I don't know why this is. A lot of the SBG sites have gun lockers.

'course, if you're talking about ME, no way man, I'm a Canadian. You could shoot me from across the room and I'd just fall down, say "excuse me" and die.

OP
S

superdave

;) If these types of threads annoy you, then why participate? Open discussion is a good thing. The MA's need more of it to get past all of the mystical chi fireballs flying from fingertips BS.

OP
B

Black Bear

I don't think that Tito would be doing so hot in Afghanistan. His giant head makes a terribly appealing target.

Attachments

• $ortiz vs couture.jpeg
    $ortiz vs couture.jpeg
    47.9 KB · Views: 201
OP
S

Shinzu

students who come in thinking they know it all and are ready to test for black belt...LOL.

isn't your mommy calling you for dinner???

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
What annoys me is people using their skills to imtimidate innocent people and people who wear some of their training Gis in pubs!

Also another thing that annoys me is people who threaten other people with " I do kickboxing/karate/taekwondo/Martial Arts and I'm going to beat the sh%$ out of you" Or I'm European Champion at Kickboxing, I bet i could beat you in a fight"
That type of thing really annoys me! For godsake kind of thing is asking for trouble. Some people don't know when to stay quiet. There is always someone better than you and we can only prepare for so many eventualities and there are slaways surprises!

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
One of the things that annoys me the most is the people that learned by osmosis-"my dad/uncle/brother/mother was a (fill in the blank) in (fill in the blank) so I'm a bad___ too." "oh yeah, well my dogs bigger than yours...lol" I actually knew a guy who said that since both of his parents had been in the Navy that he was unbeatable (no disrespect to the Navy is intended or should be implied).
Another is the guys that watch the latest "Master Sgt. Billy Bob's top-secret Green Beret/Navy SEAL/Delta force video" (available for just $39.99) and think that they are now a certified master and there is nothing else they can be taught.

OP
N

Nick Ellerton

OK one thing that really gets my goat up is these little no it all no nothing arrogant little martial arts kids whos balls havent dropped yet! i mean come on. it really refelcts on the arts difficulty and dedication level when you see children achieveing black belts. I was reading this magazine recently to find a 14 year old black belt yeah thats fine but the thing that annoys me was all of the photos that it showed of this "14 year old master" he was sloppier than a turd after a curry im noone to judge and good on him for doing it but lets be serious all putting a black belt around someones waist who doesnt appreciate it is doing ismaking them extremely arrogant! It was evident at a Jeff speakman seminar in november i attended watching the tae Kwon Do youngsters think they knew it all when it came to a technique and im not singing Kenpos praises but they found out what the meaning of "practicality" was real fast. I mean it was in the paper recently a 9 year old gaining a black belt, a nine year old for crying out loud and now what!? what is this nine year old gonna do? go around thinking oh iv mastered an art im good blah blah blah. But yeah lil kids with black belts around their waists piss me off!! Just as much as some martial arts being extremely impracticle!!! and not to point any fingers but tae kwon do is one of them!!!! Oh yeah and disrespect towards senior ranks. those inother arts made that extremely evident at the Speakman seminar!!! most of them tae kwon do!!! so from a kenpo perspective tae kwon do isnt sitting to good on the likeing level but personally and i no this isnt gonna please too many ppl but i am open to looking at other martial arts and i respect the fact that people are involved but personally i find tae kwon do to be ****! please or offend i dont care im entitled to an opinion and i just gave one.:2xbird:

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TKD does get a bad rep as a result of some of it's practitioners. Not all of them are like the ones you described in your post, though. We have several TKD folks on this board who are fine upstanding martial artists. Just as the folks you encountered were rude, overbearing etc I encountered the same kinds of folks doing kenpo when I studied that art. Takes all kinds in all arts, I guess.

Everyone is indeed allowed an opinion here. It is encouraged. Your opinions are more likely to garner respect, though, if they aren't punctuated with the particular icon that you chose. Just relax, you're not likely to have to be so defensive here. Enjoy the site.

OP
N

Nick Ellerton

yeah ur right jeff. I apologise for the generalisation that i made about TKD. but as far as those tkd people i encountered they were arrogant they were rude and they thought they knew it all. And as far as that icon is concerned i looked at it and i thought it was cool and funny so yeah sorry about that jeff i don enjoy the site and i do agree that TKD gets a bad rep especially here in Australia, but i just dont agree with alot of things that i witnessed at the seminar and the worst thing they can be not from a personal standpoint but from a Kenpo standpoint is to be disrespectful towards a senior rank. And that pissed me off so it has sort of turned me sour to TKD dooers but hey thats just me.

and this icon is cool.
:2xbird:

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've used the motion if not the icon several times myself. It was simply the context in which it was used... no problem.

As for the behavior at the seminar; I know what ya mean. Every group of people have that 10% that give the rest of them a bad name and it sounds like you had the entire 10% in one area.

OP

Personally i cant stand people who say that their a black belt but when it comes to the practicle things like pressure points or simple locks it is obvious that they have never had any type of training. These types of people drive me nuts.

OP
D

deacondad

Sifus that claim their style is THE only style.
Bullies.
School, Tournament, and Martial Arts factions' politics.

OP
B

Black Bear

Originally posted by 8253
Personally i cant stand people who say that their a black belt but when it comes to the practicle things like pressure points or simple locks it is obvious that they have never had any type of training. These types of people drive me nuts.
So what? Martial arts are different from one another. A black belt has no real universal meaning in the world. It means different things in different groups. Not to mention, some systems don't use pp or locks.

"A black belt only covers two inches of your a**. The rest, you have to back up on your own." - Royce Gracie.

OP

Black Bear said:
So what? Martial arts are different from one another. A black belt has no real universal meaning in the world. It means different things in different groups. Not to mention, some systems don't use pp or locks.

"A black belt only covers two inches of your a**. The rest, you have to back up on your own." - Royce Gracie.

It is a given that just because someone is wearing a black belt dosent mean that they are anything special. I thought that was my point. except for pp's or locks, all of the systems that I have seen thus far have some type of basic nerve striking, pp, or lock training,

OP
B

Black Bear

8253 said:
It is a given that just because someone is wearing a black belt dosent mean that they are anything special. I thought that was my point. except for pp's or locks, all of the systems that I have seen thus far have some type of basic nerve striking, pp, or lock training,
Well we're in agreement then. All I'm saying is, why would you consider this particularly annoying? Do you think that a black belt OUGHT to mean something in particular, universally?

Latest Discussions