What's the difference between Taiji and wrestling, or boxing?

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Most experts I've seen are overweight middle aged men who have zero experience. They normally teach kids or people who believe it all. Honestly met a few of these "masters". Fancy writing on their black belt specifically made to fit their expanding chi belly. Showing the gullible people how defeat a knife when they themselves have never tried to use it.
Are you seeking lessons? Plenty of young thin guys around here if that’s your thing.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am ..you're assuming something about my sexuality
And being very immature
I beg your pardon? Sexuality was not mentioned in any context. I ‘m sorry you feel that way. I like to joke around, which is what I was doing here. Let that sink in, then reread the posts. I’m not funny, my timing is also terrible, but I am a monster at the callback.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's a martial arts forum. Why would you think an offer to hit you has anything to do with sexuality?
Strictly speaking that’s a style vs style argument. We know I don’t believe in that. It’s the individual, and … perhaps the training method as applied to the partner, er student.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Most experts I've seen are overweight middle aged men who have zero experience. They normally teach kids or people who believe it all. Honestly met a few of these "masters". Fancy writing on their black belt specifically made to fit their expanding chi belly. Showing the gullible people how defeat a knife when they themselves have never tried to use it.
You have been hanging out with the wrong crowd.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
So can you tell us when you used all these wonderful techniques in a real situation. What exactly happened? Did you neutralise the negative energy with your chi?

Really have no desire to feed into this, or get into a detailed discussion with you on something you are attacking, do not understand, and are using silly videos to make your point. Spent years in security, hospitals, college and government, months of that working for a hospital with a mental health and detox unit, I stopped tracking physical confrontations after 60 in 3 months, used many things I learned in Taijiquan, mostly redirecting force and qinna. Have no idea if Qi had anything to do with it.... There is no projection of "Qi" in traditional Taijiquan, and the claim by anyone doing so is considered rather silly. Best description of Qi (internal energy) I have ever heard is, strong Qi you're healthy, weak qi you're sick, no Qi you're dead.

As for the video you show, first that is not push hands, push hands is a training tool, not sparing, not fighting. So your comment, based on that video, are not applicable to my post about push hands, since that is decidedly not push hands.

You really do not seem to know what you are talking about here.

Last edited:

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Really have no desire to feed into this, or get into a detailed discussion with you on something you are attacking, do not understand, and are using silly videos to make your point. Spent years in security, hospitals, college and government, months of that working for a hospital with a mental health and detox unit, I stopped tracking physical confrontations after 60 in 3 months, used many things I learned in Taijiquan, mostly redirecting force and qinna. Have no idea if Qi had anything to do with it.... There is no projection of "Qi" in traditional Taijiquan, and the claim by anyone doing so is considered rather silly. Best description of Qi (internal energy) I have ever heard is, strong Qi you're healthy, weak qi you're sick, no Qi you're dead.

As for the video you show, first that is not push hands, push hands is a training tool, not sparing, not fighting. So your comment, based on that video, are not applicable to my post about push hands, since that is decidedly not push hands.

You really do not seem to know what you are talking about here.
I really don't believe in the Qi stuff, I think it's just from the older days where people were easier to be fooled. The closest thing I can think of is described in CHINKUCHI

Where combining the movement of the whole body and explode in perfect timing. IT'S ALL PHYSICS. Just adding all the force together at one moment and it's like an explosion.

It's easy to talk, doing it is another story, it's not so easy even though the concept is very simple.

When I was in Hong Kong, I heard enough of the BS from Kung Fu people.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I really don't believe in the Qi stuff, I think it's just from the older days where people were easier to be fooled. The closest thing I can think of is described in CHINKUCHI

Where combining the movement of the whole body and explode in perfect timing. IT'S ALL PHYSICS. Just adding all the force together at one moment and it's like an explosion.

It's easy to talk, doing it is another story, it's not so easy even though the concept is very simple.

I think the idea with the Qi is it is supposed to be a vehicle towards training a specific trait. So it can be be just so long as it has a real effect.

Now there is only speculation that it has any effect. So there is still that issue.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's similar to my understanding of ki/chi. I still use it as a shorthand when teaching - once you've had the discussion of what it "really is" (per my understanding), it's just a way to cover some concepts with a single (one-syllable) word.

Latest Discussions