what's the best weapon for you?

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Like I said earlier, it all depends on what fight you're getting into. What is available? What are the laws? Do you care what the laws are? What sort of weapons, training, numbers and physicality are the other guys bringing to the party? What are the conditions and environment? How serious is the fight? Do you want the other guy(s) to know you are armed? Do you care if the police know? Are you going to be in public or in your own home?

And so on.

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The best answer is always your mouth. Unless your a mute then I guess that changes it quite a bit...

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ah, the three common, simple, easy, and relatively unhelpful responses:

"My mouth"
"My brain"
"My feet"

Yes, yes, yes, yes and yes. You try to avoid trouble. If you can talk your way out of trouble that's good. If you use your head there's a lot of bad things you can avoid. And yes, if you're fast and have a head start you can get away from people who want to hurt you.

But those aren't honest answers to the question that's being asked "What tool which I do not already use will maximize my chances in a violent encounter?"

The classic responses above all come across as "Don't ask that question. If you were a Superior Evolved human being you would never have to deal with anything as icky as weapons. You must blunder from fight to fight because you need to be told to think, to talk right and to leave if things get bad."

Now I'm sure the people here don't mean it that way. But that's how it seems to those who are looking for information. It's good advice for kids, especially teenage guys with more testosterone than myelin. It's good advice for really violent people who end up in anger management treatment or jail. For someone who isn't familiar with weapons and wants to learn about their capabilities? Not so much.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And yet - there is no one, perfect response. I said my brain because it allows me to adapt to the situation at hand. Any other weapon is situational - there are situations in which hands are best; others in which a bo is most appropriate; still others in which a knife would be the best. And then, of course, it depends on the training of the person involved. My training has been primarily weaponless, except for weapon defense - for me to choose a weapon other than my hands and feet would be unlikely, where for another person the first choice may be a staff, or a kubitae, or some other tool. Like the question of "what is the best martial art for self-defense" the answer is as widely variant as the responders. There is no one best answer - so I chose the answer than provided the greatest amount of flexibility for responding to the undefined situation... and the one that cannot be taken away at airport screenings!

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
nice to see that folks don't get literal... my fav would be the nunchucka's... heavy wood, octagon with chain. fully extended or doubled up they are very effective for blocking, trapping, pressure points as well as striking.

After that would be bo - but my shoulders are wide enough that its a little tough to make passing it back/ forth/ round and round easy. After that would be broad sword... very similar in action as the 'chukas.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
None because I have not trained seriously enough with weapons to think myself effective.

I would prefer weapons that would be adaptable to be practically available and legal and I suppose I could swing a broomstick like a baseball bat... but, I'd probably be better off not bothering

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree that the Rambo answer ("I've always believed that the brain is the most dangerous weapon of all, sir."--Rambo II?) is a cop-out. First, it's not a weapon ("any instrument or device for use in attack or defense in combat, fighting, or war, as a sword, rifle, or cannon") except in the metaphorical sense ("to use wit as a weapon") which after all depends on the primary meaning to make sense. Second, someone lacking a brain is clearly incapable of performing self-defense with or without an implement. Third, it's clearly not what the poster was inquiring about and I agree that it comes off as a comeuppance--an implied rebuke.

For anyone who feels their brain is their preferred weapon, would you face me with my preferred weapon--a machete? Even if we're fighting in a phone booth, the sharpened edge will start out facing you.

For anyone who feels their brain is their preferred weapon, would you truly feel less prepared with your brain and a knife?

rompida

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've just got to say it....whichever one opportunity has provided me the chance to have in my hand at the time!

Anything beats nothing!

Best weapon for me, in all seriousness - stick or knife because that's what I train with the most. Can you tell I'm an FMA person?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
But those aren't honest answers to the question that's being asked "What tool which I do not already use will maximize my chances in a violent encounter?"

The classic responses above all come across as "Don't ask that question. If you were a Superior Evolved human being you would never have to deal with anything as icky as weapons. You must blunder from fight to fight because you need to be told to think, to talk right and to leave if things get bad."

Now I'm sure the people here don't mean it that way. But that's how it seems to those who are looking for information. It's good advice for kids, especially teenage guys with more testosterone than myelin. It's good advice for really violent people who end up in anger management treatment or jail. For someone who isn't familiar with weapons and wants to learn about their capabilities? Not so much.

I agree that the Rambo answer ("I've always believed that the brain is the most dangerous weapon of all, sir."--Rambo II?) is a cop-out.

Note that, after some general rhetoric about why I'm needing a weapon or what my goal is, I suggested a simple idea. STICK. Medium to short.

It's relatively easy to learn. It's easy to carry a stick (or stick like object) without attracting attention. It can be used to contain or control, to block and defend, or to strike and even kill. Tactics are adaptable to empty hand -- or even to some knives. If you really want to get sinister, by carrying a "cane", you can carry a gun or knife, too, concealed in the cane... Not that I'd suggest such a thing... ;)

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A short single stick, with it you can,
* impact,
* use stick jujitsu lock ups & suppressions,
* get into less trouble with the Law, like with edged weapons & firearms,
* if you don't have one you can find one easily, (broom sticks etc.),
* less offensive to any by standers.
:supcool:

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
most effective and most lethal. no guns please

saraba

A weapon is a ‘tool’ employed to injure, defeat, or destroy an adversary. Metaphorically, anything which can be used to damage, even psychologically, can be called a weapon. I believe the original question wasn’t asking metaphorically.

The problem with the question is it allows, even encourages, metaphorical answers because it is too vague. There are simple too many weapons available for use with unlimited variables in order to define “the best”.

Weapons are simply tools deployed based upon time, distance, number of opponents, number of bystanders or possible collateral damage, place of utilization, surroundings, climate, laws governing the situation… and many other variables. When asking such a question it would be best to attempt to ask about specific situations.

As to my self for everyday carry to attempt to cover situations “I” am confronted with on a day to day basis the best weapon I carry due to my training and actually need of usage is a knife. However, I do also have in my home and on my person most of the time and therefore when in my vehicle a firearm. When traveling on a plane or in a place where I will be doing an amount walking I carry a walking stick or cane.

Now metaphorically due to the training and 53 years experience dealing with countless numbers of people in countless number of situations my best weapon is as someone has already mentioned is my brain and the ability to used it to control my actions based upon what I perceive as the best course of action for ‘Me’ at that time. I’ve done quite well in this regard but have been prone to a number of ‘mistakes’ also.

Please do not limit yourself to a single best; for every situation is different and there is no single best tool for all of them. If you are going to training for a weapon then I strongly urge to train for a number of situations based upon what environment and situation you will be faced with the most and use what is best for you. I enjoyed all of the training I did years ago with a 20 millimeter gun and was quite proficient with it and at that time was pleased to have it to deploy but it certainly is Not the “best” weapon for me today.

Danny

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Clearly with firearms being removed from the picture. (which I do not like as that is what I would want) Then the blade is next in line! However if you are not looking to immediately terminate someone then a good ASP expandable baton might not be to bad. (of course termination could be achieved if needed) If you just want to incapacitate someone momentarily a taser could do the job. Or if you just want to feel somewhat safer when holding your key's a kubotan might be a great idea. Truthfully I want the firearm! After that the blade. (hopefully longer than my opponents tool)

Still in the end I pray that a life and death situation does not come my way anytime soon. I pray for myself, my family and the poor person's family who initiates the situation!

In the end JeffJ summed it up nicely in that it all depends on the situation!
icon6.gif

SenseiBear

Blue Belt
Reaction score
forget the word lethal. wrong term

Since you retracted the word "lethal" I will go with the title...

Best weapon for me (interpreted as favorite) is the arnis stick. Informs my empty hand, gives me lots of joy... sticks are everywhere...

The short stick (12") I find awful useful too though... Is a great stand in for many MANY found object-weapons: Magazine, hairbrush, bottle, stick, pen, etc. etc. etc... Also is a knife in disguise.

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Since you retracted the word "lethal" I will go with the title...

Best weapon for me (interpreted as favorite) is the arnis stick. Informs my empty hand, gives me lots of joy... sticks are everywhere...

The short stick (12") I find awful useful too though... Is a great stand in for many MANY found object-weapons: Magazine, hairbrush, bottle, stick, pen, etc. etc. etc... Also is a knife in disguise.

Good point... a lot of the blocks and strikes used with a traditional weapon training can make every day objects very effective.

gkygrl

Green Belt
Reaction score
The one between my ears and behind my eyes.

I would have to vote for this one too. Nothing beats using your brain to discern the least amount of force appropriate to the situation at hand.

I'm new here -- but philosophically I wouldn't think martial artists are supposed to be "cowboys". Use your head and try to get away from the situation. If that doesn't work, use your body the way you've been taught.

What kinds of weapons would you be carrying on your person??

Just my .02

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Good point... a lot of the blocks and strikes used with a traditional weapon training can make every day objects very effective.

I agree. Take the "Lethal" away, and the short stick wins (from palm to 20"-30"), being the most easily improvised and not decidedly lethal. Can be lethal though if need be.

TheArtofDave

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think I'm going to have to say your mind. If you're very skilled in unarmed combat, and quick to disable weapons, if you train to disable sticks, knives, batons, etc then you can effectively, and lethally, or close to it disable your attacker, and leave them cluesless as how you were able to disable them so fast.

The mind is your most powerful weapon. Now if you want a weapon to add that little bit of flare, then hey sounds like a good deal to me.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think I'm going to have to say your mind. If you're very skilled in unarmed combat, and quick to disable weapons, if you train to disable sticks, knives, batons, etc then you can effectively, and lethally, or close to it disable your attacker, and leave them cluesless as how you were able to disable them so fast.

Thanks for that dose of reality. Not.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Magazine, hairbrush, pen

I would like to comment on these items. They are often overlooked and can be extremely dangerous if you have good basic weapons technique. I am a firm believer that the basics of one weapon should be somewhat transferable to another.

One weapon named above has rpoven to be very good for defense, the ink pen. A few years ago I was joking around with some guys at work and found out that I could throw an ink pen and stick it in heavy cardboard. I kept on practicing and now I can stick it in from 12 feet. The pen CAN be mightiner than the sword.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would have to vote for this one too. Nothing beats using your brain to discern the least amount of force appropriate to the situation at hand.

I'm new here -- but philosophically I wouldn't think martial artists are supposed to be "cowboys". Use your head and try to get away from the situation. If that doesn't work, use your body the way you've been taught.

What kinds of weapons would you be carrying on your person??

Just my .02

That's exactly what I was complaining about. It sounds like you're telling the person who asks the question that he or she doesn't have sense enough to avoid an unnecessary fight. It sounds condescending and extremely rude even though you don't mean it that way.

Most people know how to not get into fights. Martial arts are about what to do when you're in a situation that requires force or the threat of force. Once you're there superior platitudes about how nothing bad happens to True Martial Artists(tm) aren't going to do anything but tick off someone who came for advice about things he or she didn't already know.

If I'd started off self defense classes by saying "If someone tries to rape you it's your fault. You should have seen it coming and talked your way out of it. So I'm not going to teach you how to fight. You just need to wise up." I would have found out just how good my skills were. Ten or twenty righteously pissed off women would have tried to stomp a mudhole in me. And I would have deserved it.

Leaving aside self congratulation about what cool people we all are, martial artists are not experts in de-escalation, reading body language, hostage negotiations, conflict resolution or any of those other skills. We might pick some of that up, but it's usually incidental. Someone who asks a bunch of martial artists "What are the pros and cons of different weapons I might carry" is asking exactly that. It's simple good manners to say "I don't know," or "I'm not comfortable talking about that," if you can't give a straight answer.

Cliff Stewart can train you to be a bodyguard. It's what he does for a living. You'll learn a certain amount of specialized violence-prevention from the course. He's a great advocate of martial arts, knives and guns when they are called for.

Verbal Judo is a very specialized class popular with police departments. It teaches the specific techniques of verbally handling hostile people. The graduates do not throw away their pain gas, pistols, clubs, shotguns, handcuffs and Tasers.

That said, I live in a State with very reasonable concealed carry laws for handguns and a expansive view of what is permissible to carry openly. Automatic knives, saps, knives and a whole bunch of other things are technically legal if they're visible. Of course, if you travel a few miles North into Washington State you're committing several felonies. And you stand in serious danger of failing the all-important P.A.T. (Police Attitude Test) if you walk around with a two-handed mace, a pushbutton knife and a blackjack and cop an attitude.

That said, these are a few of my favorite things if I am outside the house under normal circumstances and am concerned about the possibility of a violent criminal attack...
  • Knife: Like almost everyone I spend time with I carry a folding knife with a pocket clip, usually a Spyderco Endura with the Wave feature. It's useful for a hundred things besides stabbing people. Every police officer and emergency worker carries one or something like it.
  • Steel-capped shoes: They are legal and give a kick some real authority. They are very difficult to disarm.
  • Walking stick: Legal everywhere. Effective if you know how to use it. The downside is that you look like easier prey and attract more predators.
  • Saps, blackjacks, sap gloves and palm saps: Only where legal. They can be anything from gentle remonstrance to thermonuclear war depending on how you use them.
  • Distractions: Not fight stoppers but useful for giving you an extra second or two.
  • Weighted scarf: There is a whole specialized set of techniques for this under-rated tool.
  • Improvised weapons: A whole other discussion. The key here is "improvised". They aren't as good as purpose-built tools, but they beat screaming for help.
Home is another matter. We have a lot of things lying around from Moro Kerises to Congolese spears. That's not including the two dogs and the shotgun.

Latest Discussions