Poll: Have you been attacked or assaulted? With a weapon?

If you've been attacked or assaulted, was a weapon involved? ie, stick, bottle, knife

• Yes, a weapon was involved either in defense or offense

• No, no weapon was used.

Results are only viewable after voting.

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rich Parsons
The Crowd / Multiple opponents.

I also consider multiple opponents to be a weapon. And I agree that I have felt fear and was concerned for for my survival. Some of the thigns I did were not nice and some of my opponents ended up in the hospital. (* I did also a few times *). Yet, I found if I hurt one fo them really bad and gave the rest time to think about the destruction they were going to get themselves.

You see I was the cornered animal and I was not playing anymore, I was serious, there was no holding back. They had to understand that fact. :( :( :eek:

Sorry to ramble on again

Absolutely. That is a common thing with groups. When you hurt one of them badly and quickly, it reminds the rest of the group that they are, in fact, still individuals.

It doesn't always happen. Sometimes they are too caught up in their mindset that they even notice or think about what happened to their comrade. I assume that after taking the first out of the game, you didn't just stand there and let them assess the situation; you moved to the next ASAP and kept moving and attacking.

In my opinion, once things get physical, there's no such thing as self-defense left. It's all about offense until I find an exit or the threat has been nullified. Then it becomes self-defense again as I exit or try to explain my actions to the authorities.

Mike

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
a couple of times with knives and a couple with sticks ( read bats )
i am still here and came out without serious injury in all cases

dose haveing a baseball or basketball thrown at the back of your head count

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have been attacked a few times, once with a broken beer bottle, and once with a knife, a few times barehanded as well. Was able to defend myself and subdue the people, but i did get a nice slice to a finger with that bottle.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Does having a telephone getting thrown at you by an irate fellow employee count? If so, it was offensive, and I didn't have to do anything more than step away and get management.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yes, with knives, guns and blunt instruments. I've only used a knife in an offensive manner when the situation changed from defense to offense (I was young and stupid).

There's no such thing as a fair fight.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've been attacked by multiple attackers many, many times;

been stabbed once in the chest with a switchblade;

head bashed in with a very large, very heavy Maglite flashlight ( http://www.postfreeoutdoorgear.co.uk/acatalog/Maglite-dcell.jpg ) ;

smacked around a bit with a PR-24 baton ( http://mypersonalsafetysolutions.com/pr_24_baton.jpg ) ;

head bashed in / jaw broken with a tire tool (something similar to this: http://www.rx7junkie.com/images/parts/wheels/P2241679.JPG )

Once, while confronted by three attackers, I used escrima sticks with surprising effectiveness considering I had no formal training. Of course, during my moment of surprise I was tackled and subsequently beaten with the above tire tool ;)

Other than that, I've always been unarmed and outnumbered.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've defended myself against a gun and a knife....not at the same time thankfully!

I've used a "boom box" and a board pulled off of a pallet as weapons...the "boom box" was used in the gun scenario mentioned above.

...would you consider a gas hose as a weapon? You know...like at a gas pump....they're great for disarming knife-wielding illegals trying to roll you for cash.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Please read carefully:

If you have ever been involved in an assault, or attacked, was a weapon involved?

Weapon = knife, gun, stick, pool cue, rock, hammer, bottle, etc.
No, yes, and yes. Never been involved in an assault (I assume that that means doing the assaulting) but I have been attacked, both with and without weapons. Thankfully, I acquitted myself well in each occurrance, resulting in the attackers backing off and all going home relatively unscathed.

Daniel

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've been attacked by multiple attackers many, many times;

been stabbed once in the chest with a switchblade;

head bashed in with a very large, very heavy Maglite flashlight ( http://www.postfreeoutdoorgear.co.uk/acatalog/Maglite-dcell.jpg ) ;

smacked around a bit with a PR-24 baton ( http://mypersonalsafetysolutions.com/pr_24_baton.jpg ) ;

head bashed in / jaw broken with a tire tool (something similar to this: http://www.rx7junkie.com/images/parts/wheels/P2241679.JPG )

Once, while confronted by three attackers, I used escrima sticks with surprising effectiveness considering I had no formal training. Of course, during my moment of surprise I was tackled and subsequently beaten with the above tire tool ;)

Other than that, I've always been unarmed and outnumbered.
Do you just naturally tick people off or do you have to work at it?
Sheesh man. I'd find me a deserted island somewhere so I don't have to worry about all the stuff that's happened to you. Woah.
I mean I've been shot at, stabbed and had to face as many as 8 attackers but have seemed to come out of it alright. So have you.
Made ME wonder if I had a natural proclivity to tick people off.

Last edited:

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
IN Ramadi, Iraq my squad and I were performing a cordon and search of several houses. For reasons that now escape me I was armed with an M9 pistol.

So, we were working our way through this rather large and oddly nice home, when we encountered some of the owners of said home. During the shoting I got seperated from the rest of the squad. Bad news. As I found myself alone and in the dark I kicked open what turned out to be a bedroom door. As I stepped in the inhabitant swung a claw hammer at me. I ducked but he managed to hit me in the arm with his forearm which caused me to drop the pistol (it also went off, in a rather small cement room, a fact I didn't notice until a bit later).

I grabbed him in the clinch and kneed him in the groin. Osoto gari followed that. I was able to get the mount, then I proceeded to hit him with straight rights until the rest of my squad showed up.

Like all good war stories I survived and the bad guy was carted off me the medics with a lot of structural damage to his face and a ruptured testicle.
I sprained my wrist and vomited from the god awful adrenaline surge. In all my life I never thought I would have someone attack me with a hammer in a combat zone. Shot at, IED's and mortars I understood, but a hammer?

That's my only cool story about being attacked with a weapon. Well, if I understand the op's intent. I've been shot at, shelled, and nearly blown up in an IED(most of the gray matter still intact, although I was in a coma for three days) but all that is normal occupational hazard type stuff for a soldier. That hammer incident, though...

Mark

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Been attacked a few times. No weapons unless you count two would-be muggers using their belts.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do you just naturally tick people off or do you have to work at it?

Er.. little of both :)

Not so much anymore. I've decided that while people really do need hear things, it doesn't necessarily need to be ME telling them. And me NOT telling them generally results in a better day than if I do. ;)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Been stabbed with a knife in the stomach, it was not fun but then again he was having much fun either for a few weeks. I will only use extreme force when a weapon is involved.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Er.. little of both :)

Not so much anymore. I've decided that while people really do need hear things, it doesn't necessarily need to be ME telling them. And me NOT telling them generally results in a better day than if I do. ;)
Yah, I had to learn that the hard way too. :lfao:

kailat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yes, tree limbs, a tire iron, a knife, and a pair brass knuckles. all seperate occassions...LOL...god I had a rough childhood. Not really, but i just seemed to find myself in some rough situations.. probably alot to do w/ who i hung out w/ and the mentality I had back then. But answer is YES!! Still have the scars to remind me of those days too... not so good!!!

naneek

Green Belt
Reaction score
yes i have been attacked with a variety of weapons knives , broken bottles , baseball bats, batons, bar stools also may un armed conficts too, most times no damage occured to me except with the knife i got slashed on my fore arm requiring 32 stiches ouch

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
... most times no damage occured to me except with the knife i got slashed on my fore arm requiring 32 stiches ouch

I gotta ask: did the slash hurt when it happened or later?

When I got stabbed, I wasn't even sure I got stabbed until I got to another location, took off my shirt, and saw the blood.

Now, once they started cleaning it out with humungous Q-tips and iodine.. THEN it was a BIG ouch!

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yes, I've been attacked. No weapons, but I did use my knee.