what was your worst moment in your martial arts history ?

EvanWinther

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My boss often comes to tae kwon do with me. Worst moment probably accidentally kicking him in the nuts during sparring- he was very forgiving, but still embarrassing hahaha

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Doing squat kicks in my old kenpo dojo and accidentally farting. I blamed it on the mat.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Had a mom come into the dojo with her son, who I thought was ten or so, but he was 12, withdrawn, and obviously had some sort of health issue. I asked her what it was. Was told he had a seizure the day he was born and had been on anti seizure medication since. Asked her when the last time he had been checked. He hadn't. I told her I wanted him checked and wanted a letter from his Doctor okaying him to train in fighting arts.

She comes in a few weeks later, had had him completely checked, they removed him from the medication and had the letter from the Doc I had requested.

I had some of the experienced kids take him under their wing. After six months this boy, J, really thrived. He started to grow and fill out. His marks in school went from Cs and Ds to As and Bs. I was told by some of his teachers that he started to speak up in class and for the first time engaged in projects with other kids.

After a year, he started to shine, was sparring, kick boxing and holding his own, doing really well, had a great attitude. Some of the our kids fought in point tournaments. J wanted to come and watch, which he did. The next class he asked if he could do the tournament thing. So we taught him the rules of the game and he took to it pretty well. Started competing, even won some sparring trophies.

Another six months passes. J is a real pleasure and starts helping new students, making them comfortable and showing them how to do things. We have him warm up some of the kids classes. He's outgoing and inspiring to new kids. The kid is just awesome.

A few months later - class has just started, he's in line as we start drilling. He collapses to the floor, crying. I'm thinking WTF?
Take him into the office to speak with him. But he's just too upset, something isn't right. I call his mom who comes get him.
I call the next day, leave a message. Get no call back. Don't see the kid for the next week, don't get any of my messages returned.

Couple days later their neighbor walks in and introduces herself. Tells me what happened. It seems mom wasn't happy her son was growing up. She went back to the doctor wanting her son put back on that medication. He said no, he doesn't need it. So she went to a dozen more doctors until she finally found one that would put her son back on that medication.

I called the police. Nothing I could do, they said, if a Doc prescribed it, that was that. I called the AMA, told them the story. Same answer. I called everyone I could think of, Child Services, a couple Judges, FBI, Congressmen, you name em, I called them. There was nothing I could do.

What she did was one of the most evil things I've ever experienced, or even have heard of. It was back in the eighties, but still bothers me to this day. That's the worst moment in my Martial Arts history.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow. I can't even imagining someone doing that to their own kid. Do you have any idea what happened after he turned 18?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wow. I can't even imagining someone doing that to their own kid. Do you have any idea what happened after he turned 18?

I don't, they moved away. I try not to guess.

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hey Buka,
You and your group planted a seed and saw it grow. These arts, man, they grow inside of us like weeds...ever try to get rid of a weed? Mom may have put him back on the meds but neither she nor the drugs would not be able to erase those memories you, your group, and J created. You gave the boy the tools needed and hopefully he was able to free himself using them or the strength that they provided. Not much chance if you hadn't.

Regards
Brian King

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Brought a tear to my eye there, Brian. Thank you, my friend. Never thought of it that way.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I know you guys would have felt the same way as I did. And thanks, I really appreciate it.
Let's all hope it worked out for J.

And to lighten this thread up a bit....
So....had a seminar in my dojo back in the day and a lot of guys came down. A group from northern Maine came down and slept over in the dojo in sleeping bags. Above the dojo was a nice bakery and I came in early to bring the guys coffee and pastries. I'm walking down the back stairs to the dojo and find the door locked, it's usually open.

I balance four cups of coffee on top of each other, holding the bottom cup with my hand, the top cup with my chin pressing down as I grab for my keys. You know that little hole on the top of a "to go" cup right in the middle of the lid? As I fumble with my keys the coffee squirts up - right up my right nostril. It's winter and my sinuses are dried out from the indoor heat. The coffee is scalding hot. I scream and drop everything.

The Maine guys (friends) charge to the door and rip it open as coffee comes under the door with me jumping around holding my nose.

Then I had to go get more coffee. They're probably still laughing.

Last edited:

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Had a mom come into the dojo with her son, who I thought was ten or so, but he was 12, withdrawn, and obviously had some sort of health issue. I asked her what it was. Was told he had a seizure the day he was born and had been on anti seizure medication since. Asked her when the last time he had been checked. He hadn't. I told her I wanted him checked and wanted a letter from his Doctor okaying him to train in fighting arts.

She comes in a few weeks later, had had him completely checked, they removed him from the medication and had the letter from the Doc I had requested.

I had some of the experienced kids take him under their wing. After six months this boy, J, really thrived. He started to grow and fill out. His marks in school went from Cs and Ds to As and Bs. I was told by some of his teachers that he started to speak up in class and for the first time engaged in projects with other kids.

After a year, he started to shine, was sparring, kick boxing and holding his own, doing really well, had a great attitude. Some of the our kids fought in point tournaments. J wanted to come and watch, which he did. The next class he asked if he could do the tournament thing. So we taught him the rules of the game and he took to it pretty well. Started competing, even won some sparring trophies.

Another six months passes. J is a real pleasure and starts helping new students, making them comfortable and showing them how to do things. We have him warm up some of the kids classes. He's outgoing and inspiring to new kids. The kid is just awesome.

A few months later - class has just started, he's in line as we start drilling. He collapses to the floor, crying. I'm thinking WTF?
Take him into the office to speak with him. But he's just too upset, something isn't right. I call his mom who comes get him.
I call the next day, leave a message. Get no call back. Don't see the kid for the next week, don't get any of my messages returned.

Couple days later their neighbor walks in and introduces herself. Tells me what happened. It seems mom wasn't happy her son was growing up. She went back to the doctor wanting her son put back on that medication. He said no, he doesn't need it. So she went to a dozen more doctors until she finally found one that would put her son back on that medication.

I called the police. Nothing I could do, they said, if a Doc prescribed it, that was that. I called the AMA, told them the story. Same answer. I called everyone I could think of, Child Services, a couple Judges, FBI, Congressmen, you name em, I called them. There was nothing I could do.

What she did was one of the most evil things I've ever experienced, or even have heard of. It was back in the eighties, but still bothers me to this day. That's the worst moment in my Martial Arts history.

What a horrible person. What kind of parent would purposely do that?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What a horrible person. What kind of parent would purposely do that?

Since posting that story I ran into an old friend who was teaching with me at the time. Mentioned it to him and he told me it's a form of mental illness similar to Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy. Sad all around.

40th Alabama

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Probably when I was young and had acquired my black belt (1976) and life got in the way-job, school, children. I couldn't work in the travel time and training time and at that particular point in time work, kids and finances tended to trump training so I stopped going. I would periodically go back and visit, but not work out. Now, 40 years after getting my 1st Dan, I have re-entered the arts and at age 69 received my 2nd Dan after about 5 years of limited practice. I kick myself everyday for not continuing with my earlier training.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what was your worst moment in your martial arts history?
My best friend died in front of me right after we participated in a public demo - an hereditary problem with his aorta (of which he was unaware). Easily the worst moment in any area of my life, so far.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Probably when I was young and had acquired my black belt (1976) and life got in the way-job, school, children. I couldn't work in the travel time and training time and at that particular point in time work, kids and finances tended to trump training so I stopped going. I would periodically go back and visit, but not work out. Now, 40 years after getting my 1st Dan, I have re-entered the arts and at age 69 received my 2nd Dan after about 5 years of limited practice. I kick myself everyday for not continuing with my earlier training.

Awesome. Rock on, brother.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My worse moment was when I was in my end-game training for the Texas Brown Belt Championships (judo) at Texas A & M quite a while back. I was at the school, and we were working on conditioning, run from one corner of the mat, execute the throw called out by sensei against the resisting opponent, then run to the enxt station, like that. It was a mixed class, some juniors around 10 to 12 mixed in with a bunch of older guys, everyone training together. I just get done hitting, after about a 30-sec battle an uchimata on one of the other big guys and switch over to the next station. Taiotoshi is called out and I step right in, get a nifty kuzushi, nail the triangle step and Blam!

Totally toss the 10 year old. I mean, like buried him under the mat.

I didn't even think about it until after the execution was already over and his little self was poking up out of the mat. I mean, all we could see was hands and feet, sort of wriggling aound, trembling as he struggled to regain onsciousness....

Nah, it wasn't that bad, but it was pretty horrible. Dumb. Mistake.

I sort of freaked for a sec, got down and helped th elittle guy up (Simon was a little guy even for his age, too).

Needless to say, sensei was unimpressed...

Latest Discussions