what was your worst moment in your martial arts history ?

sgraves

Green Belt
Reaction score
what was your worst moment in your martial arts history?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
One day where I just wasn't having fun. I had been going through personal issues at the time, and martial arts was my outlet. One day I was there, sparring, and I realized that I simply wasn't having fun. I wasn't angry, I wasn't frustrated or upset, I just had no particular emotions and was going through my emotions. I ended up leaving class in the middle of it, which blew my instructor away since i never did that before. He asked me what was wrong, I told him nothing, I just wasn't feeling it. I left my car there and jogged 2-3 miles back to my dorm, then went back the next day to get my car. I still don't know what happened that day, and when I went back the next week I was enjoying it again.

I've broken bones in class. I've gotten concussions as well, along with other injuries. This incident was far worse than any of them.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm like Bill; no really bad moments. Bumps, bruises, black eyes, broken toes, dislocated toes, broken finger, dislocated fingers, broken ribs, knee problems, etc. Thing is with the hard training over the years, full contact sparring and competitions they have all been a part of the experience. I've considered it a normal part of the journey over the years. But if I had to point to one it would have to be my left knee blowing out on checking a kick two months ago and having to have a full knee replacement. That kinda sucks!! But then my knees have been bad for several years and now the left knee is pain free. Just not as much range of movement I'd like.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not so much in my training but as an instructor losing two students in Afghanistan.

Tortoise

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Can't decide. Can I post 2?

Tearing the ACL ligament in my knee at the beginning of a brown belt test it had taken me 6 years to prepare for.

Finding out a month after I received my first degree brown belt (which at that studio meant next rank was black) that the studio was closing.

GiYu - Todd

Green Belt
Reaction score
The injuries don't bother me too much. But letting down myself or others bugs me. Last year was the first time I'd failed a rank test. It should have been no big deal, but I knew I could do better. Later tonight, I'm retesting. I'm confident that I'm ready this time.

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
Inadvertently underpaying tuition for a couple of months. Simply had the wrong number in my head....super embarrassing.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Moving across the country to pursue a specific type of training, and then coming to the realization that the head instructor in the school I had just joined was a sociopathic paranoid schizophrenic. :)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Going back to my old shifu to take a push hands class after training with my Yang Shifu. I was doing push hands with a woman I knew, from when I was there before. and they lead me to Kao (Shoulder strike) and I responded instinctively, expecting her to counter. She didn't and she flew backwards a few feet and fell on her butt. I tried to catch her, but I missed. I felt horrible, still not happy about it, only went to a few classes after that, almost did the same thing to another guy, but stopped myself, realized I should not be there and never went back.

I had done push hands with a woman at my Yang Shifu's school, who was much smaller than the woman I inadvertently knocked down and there was never an issue, she always countered as did most, and that was what I was use to, still, my bad, I should of had more control

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Moving across the country to pursue a specific type of training, and then coming to the realization that the head instructor in the school I had just joined was a sociopathic paranoid schizophrenic. :)

You say that like it's a bad thing! At least mine is only a psychopath. Yes I am serious.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You say that like it's a bad thing! At least mine is only a psychopath. Yes I am serious.
Yeah, it was the moment when I realized all the screaming he was doing was actually aimed at the voices in his head, I knew it was time to get out. And the cultish acceptance of it all by the other students was pretty weird too.

I'm serious as well, this is no joke.

Tortoise

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

You win.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it was the moment when I realized all the screaming he was doing was actually aimed at the voices in his head, I knew it was time to get out. And the cultish acceptance of it all by the other students was pretty weird too.

I'm serious as well, this is no joke.

I'm not joking about mine either.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Damn. Scary.

Latest Discussions