Your worst class injury?

TheOriginalName

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So far my worst is a torn ligament in my ankle......should really not attempt jumping roundhouse kicks when you've only been training for a few months!!
Kept me off the mats for a couple of weeks.....but i got to know my ice pack really well.

The worst i've seen though was one of the Maui Thai guys - he managed to relocate his knee cap from the front to the side.....ouch!!

The worst thing was that our head instructor was not in on this night and they could not open the side door to the school to allow easy ambulance access. Instead they had to take him up 2 flights of stairs........ewwww.....
Strangly enough a spare set of keys now lives at the dojo.....lol

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First of all...Morph.....It may be CALLED a soft art - but from what you showed us, I wouldn't call it soft.

As for me, unforunately, the worst that I've ever done was was bent some toes back WAY too far. I threw a kick, the other guy blocked with his elbow....much pain resulted. I kind of wish that I had a worse horror story, but that's about the worst! I limped for a week if that counts.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First of all...Morph.....It may be CALLED a soft art - but from what you showed us, I wouldn't call it soft.

As for me, unforunately, the worst that I've ever done was was bent some toes back WAY too far. I threw a kick, the other guy blocked with his elbow....much pain resulted. I kind of wish that I had a worse horror story, but that's about the worst! I limped for a week if that counts.

Soft in application, not in results ;)

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Received:Shattered nose, seperated collar bone, broken hand, dislocated shoulder. Given to me by under-BB students.

Given: Broken arm(almost compounded) from a spinning back kick, 2.5" cut under one of my BB's eye from hook kick, level 2 concussion from a hook punch, cracked my dad's zygomatic bones with a twist kick(grosest thing I have ever seen).

These are some at the top of the list.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Received:Shattered nose, seperated collar bone, broken hand, dislocated shoulder. Given to me by under-BB students.

Given: Broken arm(almost compounded) from a spinning back kick, 2.5" cut under one of my BB's eye from hook kick, level 2 concussion from a hook punch, cracked my dad's zygomatic bones with a twist kick(grosest thing I have ever seen).

These are some at the top of the list.
Good God, man, what are you sparring with? Tractor trailers?!

Morph, yeah, the joys of a soft art.:) I've taken more serious injuries in my aikido training than I ever did from kempo. I think it's just easier for me to deal with blunt force trauma injuries than focused injuries on joints.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not sure which I consider the worst injury I recieved:

Broken ribs : Just before my first ever Black Belt test by a 2nd day student that was extreemly uncordinated Yes i took him to lightly LOL)

Broken toes: kicks to the shin, missed kick and hit a wall
Broken fingers: too many open hand blocks earlier in my studies

Cut over my eye that had to be stictched: turned around and struck the edge of my office door

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Badly sprained knee (it took an MRI to determine that it wasn't a torn ligament) - it's been 2 years and it still gives me trouble.

Jai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Dislocation and small rips in both prenoal tendons in my right ankle, which I did all by myself.

wushu2004

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
wow after seeing all this, i can't compete

anyway, I was working on a staff form when somehow in my doing reverse figure 8's, i managed to scrape my eye with the butt end of my staff, and knocked my glasses off..

while at home, i was doing figure 8's with my broadsword when i got a bit too close to my body and cut my wrist...thank goodness i didn't need stiches

Jai

Black Belt
Reaction score
haha. I think the jock gnomes swap them out over night. Like some kind of morbid tooth fairy.

diamondbar1971

Green Belt
Reaction score
does delayed reactions count...????? after 40 years in martial arts, i am just starting to feel the aftershocks of all those hits i have taken over the years and not to mention the affect of the ones i dished out as well....i think we all in the martial arts have at one time or another, jammed our thumbs, toes, fingers, have had a poke or two in the eye, sprains a black eye, busted lip or nose,,,,,if you haven't had any of these things, well, you haven't been in martial arts and that is pretty much the way it is in the real world....

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
worst?
When I threw a roundhouse kick and my foot caught on the edge of the mat and I twisted the hell out of my knee and couldn't walk at all for 3 days and walked funny for about 6 weeks.
or
When I blocked a kick without closing my fist and broke two fingers...
Luckily, it takes a LOT to bruise me, so in 2½years of class with weekly (at least) sparring, I've only had two bruises, but, I've bled plenty... :)

kenpogary

White Belt
Reaction score
Busted my 4th and 5th rib. Was not sure if it was a back injury or chest at the time. All I knew was it was very hard to breath. Took almost 9-months to heal but still trained and tought thats why it took so long. LOL

No wait a minute when I had my jaw dislocated that really hurt also as I snaped it back in place. Not sure if it hurt more doing it or snaping it back. I had a fellow instructor deminstrating a hook punch and did not judge his distance very well. Mr. Arensber saw it and heard it and thought it was rather funny. I didnt. LOL But kept fighting anyway where was my brain :)

Sorry, could not deside on which one :)

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
does delayed reactions count...????? after 40 years in martial arts, i am just starting to feel the aftershocks of all those hits i have taken over the years and not to mention the affect of the ones i dished out as well....i think we all in the martial arts have at one time or another, jammed our thumbs, toes, fingers, have had a poke or two in the eye, sprains a black eye, busted lip or nose,,,,,if you haven't had any of these things, well, you haven't been in martial arts and that is pretty much the way it is in the real world....

I don't think that counts, My theory is that after a certain age, (usually in the 40's) you always have pain throughout your body, but you only feel the one that is worse at a particular time. It's the only way I can explain why my pain keeps moving around my body, and I can't remember the last time I woke up without something hurting :shrug:

Latest Discussions