Your worst class injury?

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't think that counts, My theory is that after a certain age, (usually in the 40's) you always have pain throughout your body, but you only feel the one that is worse at a particular time. It's the only way I can explain why my pain keeps moving around my body, and I can't remember the last time I woke up without something hurting :shrug:
Hell, Tom, by the time most folks are your age they're using a walker to get around so you're doing pretty good.

My instructor regularly cautions the younger bucks in our dojo to "Pace your injuries." A sprain this week, a hyper-extension the next week and so on don't really seem to add up when you're 20 something but they will come back to haunt you later.:uhyeah:

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score

Not trying to be TOO graphic here but....

An incident I'm trying to forget....

While sparring cup became mis-aligned with objects in need of protection.......:uhohh:

An errant kick inadverdently found its way on to protective equipment mentioned above, causing a separation diss-agreement between the above mentioned parties.......:eek: :eek: :eek:

-Marc-

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good God, man, what are you sparring with? Tractor trailers?!

What? Do you guys not go hard when you spar?
icon10.gif
Our level of contact has gotten out of control at times, but I am not in that school anymore.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
My worst injury was probably a broken tooth. I wasn`t wearing my mouthguard, just keeping my jaw firmly shut, since we were going light contact. Never trust a kickboxer with your teeth.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Mine was pretty tame compared to many of the others here. Unfortunately, mine was also self inflicted. Not only was it self-inflicted, to make it worse it happened while doing a very basic technique for a belt test.

Like I said, this was during a test, my first belt testing in Combat Hapkido, so I was pretty nervous and high strung. For the technique I front snap kicked the opponent's knee for distraction and to create the motion for the breakaway, and as I broke away from a simple wrist grab I somehow smashed the thumb of my breakaway hand into the side of my kicking leg (damn live-hand! I thought at the time). I successfully broke away from the grip, and was pretty sure I broke my thumb in the process. I don't know which was injured more, my ego or my thumb. Wait, I do know. It was my dang thumb!!!! I was so embarrassed.

Teacher could tell a was hurting both physically and mentally and told me about one of his belt tests that made me feel a lot better, because I have so much respect for him. He said he was all ready for testing in TKD one day and as he bowed in for the testing, he hurt his back just bowing in. Oh man! Can you imagine? Well, that helped my mental state some, but my freakin' thumb was sore for a few months.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I did rupture a disc during a tournament that put me out for quite a while. The rupture caused major pain in the front right thigh and total numbness that began above the right kneecap, down the front of the leg, into the toes.
I've broken over 20 bones, but a few of those were on the street or in boxing as a kid. But those never really slowed me down more than a few weeks. Joints hurt more and longer than bones. :D

The worst injury was a compression of C-3 through C-5 in my neck. A higher ranked training partner decided to show me how macho he was when practicing a neck crank (we were prone, him on top, with one forearm under my jaw, the other on top of my temple; add pressure). The vertebrae in turn compressed the nerve that runs between them to the right arm. Lived with it a few days, but after about a week the whole arm turned numb and ended up at the doc's. Only time I've ever had physical therapy (3 months). Dr. told me any more neck twists/throws/wrong landings could cost me big. So had to alter my training after that. Also reinforced that on a willing training partner, macho=immature. Good reminder for us instructors. :)

agemechanic03

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So far my worst one was last night when light sparring with a friend of mine and I went to do a roundhouse kick and he blocked with his leg and the top of my foot hit his knee. I had a lot of power in it and now I am having trouble walking. It sucks too b/c my job requires me to push and pull heavy machinery.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've broken over 20 bones, but a few of those were on the street or in boxing as a kid. But those never really slowed me down more than a few weeks. Joints hurt more and longer than bones. :D

The worst injury was a compression of C-3 through C-5 in my neck. A higher ranked training partner decided to show me how macho he was when practicing a neck crank (we were prone, him on top, with one forearm under my jaw, the other on top of my temple; add pressure). The vertebrae in turn compressed the nerve that runs between them to the right arm. Lived with it a few days, but after about a week the whole arm turned numb and ended up at the doc's. Only time I've ever had physical therapy (3 months). Dr. told me any more neck twists/throws/wrong landings could cost me big. So had to alter my training after that. Also reinforced that on a willing training partner, macho=immature. Good reminder for us instructors. :)

That has anything I have, hands down. I def. agree that macho=immature.

ares

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My worst injury came at the hands of John. He was sparring me when I was testing for my purple belt (kempo). I had the situation in hand, doing all the things I should. But John being around 6'5" and me 5'9" I needed to get more inside. I didn't and he came over the top and broke my eye socket. I didn't know it at the time, but the next day when I blew my nose, my eye shut for days. He felt bad when I told him about it, but it's all part of the game. Sometimes you get hurt. You just have to hope you don't get hurt seriously.

Latest Discussions