What nonfiction book are you currently reading?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"Wild Food" by Ray Mears and Gordon Hillman. An interesting look back down the historical telescope in an attempt to reconstruct a picture of what our hunter-gatherer ancestors used to eat.

Mr. Mears, for our American cousins, is a highly respected 'survivalist' over here - to the extent that, when asked a question such as "What single piece of kit would you choose to aid your survival on a desert island?", I've been known to answer "Ray Mears!" :D.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Liberal Fascism by Jonah Goldberg
Weblogic - The Definitive Guide by Jon Mountjoy & Avinash Chugh

also rereading:
The Code Book: The Science of Secrecy from Ancient Egypt to Quantum Cryptography by Simon Singh

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Weblogic - The Definitive Guide by Jon Mountjoy & Avinash Chugh

also rereading:
The Code Book: The Science of Secrecy from Ancient Egypt to Quantum Cryptography by Simon Singh
Those two look neat! I've worked with WebLogic and have always been interested in cryptopgraphy.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Those two look neat! I've worked with WebLogic and have always been interested in cryptopgraphy.

The WebLogic book has been a godsend. I've only really known enough to be a danger to myself and my project, and this book has made things a lot clearer.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Peak Oil Survival by Aric McBay.

If you take out the introduction (14 pages!) and change the title, this could easily be called "Boyscout survival skills" or "Homesteading skills". While I don't agree with the introduction, the actual content is not bad :)

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In War and Peace: My Life in Science and Technology, by H. Guyford Stever

Autobiography of a distant cousin of mine.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The Collected Essays of Ralph Ellison

I really appreciated Ellison's way with words in Invisible Man and Juneteenth, and found those stories compelling so I thought I would check out his essays.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just started the autobiography of Lou Holtz. (wins, losses, and lessons)
Even though I don't follow football its been a good read so far.

Phadrus00

Blue Belt
Reaction score

I LOVED "The Code Book". I have my son reading it to foster his love of Math. I have not been as compelled by his "Big Bang" book (sorry for the illiteration folks).

I just finished reading "Kitchen Confidential" and LOVED it! Anthony Bourdain is an excellent writer and the work is compelling and informative for all foodies and cooks alike.

I am reading "American Nerd" right now and it is pretty good although a little academic for my tastes.

I cannot recommend "In the Heart of the Sea" highly enough. It is simply an amazing chronicle of the horrible things that happened to the crew of the Essex and indeed of the social structure of Nantucket and Boston as well. Living here in the area and having the privledge of regularly travelling to the Islands it has given me an very intimate view of the forces that shaped this area.

Rob

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Enemy at The Gates, The Battle for Stalingrad, Mud and Poppycock, the British in the Trenches of WW1, The Monks of New Skeete, The Unbroken Line, Tracing Bloodstock heritage through the 21 century.
I wonder, what do you guys do with all your books. I can never relinquish my non fiction. I have 3 bookcases full and 10 Rubbermaid containers full of books. Build more book shelves?
Lori M

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The Roosevelts of Hyde Park: an Untold Story by Elliot Roosevelt

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Training at the Speed of Life by Kenneth R. Murray

Also, highly recommend Meditations on Violence by Sgt. Rory Miller.

wrc619

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
There's two. "Getting Stronger" by Bill Pearl, my handy work out guide book, and "Weight Training For Martial Artist's" which was a gift from my instructor.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Sweet Science by A.J. Liebling. Covers some aspects about Sugar Ray Robinson, Rocky Marciano, and Joe Louis.