What nonfiction book are you currently reading?

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Chinese Language for Beginners, by Lee Cooper

A delightful, short, child-oriented book that taught me a few symbols, a few words, and a bit of grammar. Well worth the read for someone like me who knew nothing! I definitely recommend it if you study the CMA but no nothing of the language.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The Climb by Anatoli Boukreev.

A much more believable account of the ill fated Everest expedition than the more famous Into Thin Air by Krakauer

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Collapse by Jared Diamond. Very well written book with a powerful message and lots of insight.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Where The Right Went Wrong by Pat Buchanan is in my car at the moment.

I enjoy listening to what Mr. Buchanan has to say about politics...as long as he is not talking about religion or Israel.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sadly, all I have time for is my textbooks...

Child Development, 5th ed., Bukatko and Daehler

and

At-Risk Youth: A Comprehensive Response for Counselors, Teachers, Psychologists, and Human Service Professionals, 3rd ed., McWhirter, McWhirter, McWhirter, and McWhirter (the text does not have anything about the authors, but it is dedicated to "the youngest generation of the McWhirter clan", so I'm guessing they're related)

I probably ought to log off and go finish chapter 5 in the first one...

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
lady_kaur said:
Where The Right Went Wrong by Pat Buchanan is in my car at the moment.

I enjoy listening to what Mr. Buchanan has to say about politics...as long as he is not talking about religion or Israel.

Ditto. I read the book when it came out.

Although I disagree with him on many things, he often has great insights into matters. He is the freakiest writer/commentator around though, IMO, because he combines pearls of wisdom with the some of the most inane comments and positions. You could listen to an interview of him and nod your head at each point for a quarter of an hour, then for the last five minutes he'll have you shaking your head in disbelief and puzzlement that people in this day and age still believe the things he does on some issues.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
"On Killing" - Grossman .... assigned

Assigned by your MA instructor, or are you going to school? I'd really like to hear your take on the book and the author's positions when you've finished reading it.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
upnorthkyosa said:
Collapse by Jared Diamond. Very well written book with a powerful message and lots of insight.

I just started Guns, Germs and Steel. I'm amazed that a history book can be so interesting. But perhaps that's because Jared Diamond is actually a biologist.

aplonis

Orange Belt
Reaction score
"The Bible Unearthed"
By Israel Finkelstein & Neil Asher Silberman
ISBN 0-684-86912-8

This book is about how archeology directly contradicts much of what the Old Testament asserts.

1. The city of Jerico was not a walled city, never had been. It utterly lacks any trace of a former wall's foundation.

2. Most of the great cities attributed to Solomon in the early years of archeology now are known to date from...ahem...Ahab.

3. That Aramaic was the language of Aramea...an invader nation so dominate it overwrote much of the original culture right down to supplanting its language in everyday life.

4. There can be found no slightest trace of Moses having led an Exodus out of Egypt.

Lots of interesting little twists like that. Things we aren't supposed to know. These tidbits are the general consensus of modern archeology and somehow fail to find their way into textbooks...or pulpits.

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
"What If?.......Eminent Historians Imagine What Might Have Been"

A thick book full of short essays by historians such as Steven Ambrose and James Bradley. Each author takes an important event in history and writes a 10-20 page essay on how things could have gone differently, and the ramifications for the world if the event had indeed gone differently.

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Zepp said:
I just started Guns, Germs and Steel. I'm amazed that a history book can be so interesting. But perhaps that's because Jared Diamond is actually a biologist.
Hey now are you saying something about historians. Ahem well I have a long and boring lecture to give you about that. You see the reason history books often are boring goes back all the way to Roman times when....
Ahem oh yeah and I a reading Kant's Critique of Judgement. Arguably thoguh it may go under fiction because it is Kant... I don't think he really lived in the world that surrounded him.

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Class actually although I don't really need the class for anything so pretty much by choice.
What can I say I like philosophy. Love it and hate it.

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh the insanity contiunes for me and philosophy.
I'm planning to read during my spring break...
Beyond Good and Evil-Neitzche
Birth of Tragedy-same
Case of Wagner- umm same
Poetry, Language, Though-Heidegger
And probably more.
And this is all going to be the basis of a paper. I think I must have snapped. I'm turning 21 and I'm planning to spend a lot of time reading philosophy. Oh I'm insane.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just got THIS:

egeg.jpg

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I had to get Bruce Bartlett's new book ... although, I choked on him actually getting a royalty from my purchase.

"Impostor - How George W. Bush bankrupted America and Betrayed the Reagan Legacy"

I think just about everything Mr. Bartlett believes is wrong and bad for the country, but it is interesting to see what he has to say about our current president.

Latest Discussions