What nonfiction book are you currently reading?

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Introducing Bertrand Russell, by Dave Robinson

Oh yes...OH YES...I knew there was something I liked about you, Arnisador. I sensed it. You're a closeted Russell fan.

I just got his four part interview with Alan Watts. Excellent interview. The man was brilliant.

Regards,

Steve

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Every mathematician knows his work, of course, and I liked his "The Problems of Philosophy," but I decided to get an overview before deciding where to go next. I hadn't realized how big an influence he and Wittgenstein had been on one another!

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Every mathematician knows his work, of course, and I liked his "The Problems of Philosophy," but I decided to get an overview before deciding where to go next. I hadn't realized how big an influence he and Wittgenstein had been on one another!

The man was truly a polymath...he was one of those few intellectuals that read everything, retained what they read, and could debate it as a topic. Take a smart man and give him a classical education...then watch out.

Tolkien was another one like that...so was Oscar Wilde.

I'm trying to think of Americans of that caliber...there aren't many.

Regards,

Steve

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
hardheadjarhead said:
The man was truly a polymath...he was one of those few intellectuals that read everything, retained what they read, and could debate it as a topic. Take a smart man and give him a classical education...then watch out.

Tolkien was another one like that...so was Oscar Wilde.
C.S. Lewis and to certain extent, Mark Twain

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was in Barnes and Noble the other day and almost bought Bertrand Russell's Principles of Mathematics out of sheer curiousity, but grabbed PHP5, Apache, and MySQL Web Development along with A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking instead.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Being innumerate, I will avoid his mathematics books and concentrate on his philosophy books and works concerning religion and politics.

"Religion and Science" is very good. I loaned it to one of the MT'ers here and he read it two and a half times...finally got it back from him. Now I can't find it. It is an interesting read when put in a modern context now that the I.D. argument (intelligent desing) is being debated. Much of Russell's stuff is simply timeless.

Regards,

Steve

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kodokan Throwing Techniques by Toshiro Daigo, made even more interesting considering the tori in the book is one my jujutsu instructors first instructors..

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The Western Way of War, Infantry Battle in Classical Greece, by Victor Davis Hanson. It examines what life was like for the Greek hoplite in the phalanx. very interesting, but in a somewhat dry and academic way.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A Darwinian Left, Peter Singer

A brief book that I figured would introduce me to this controversial figure.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
"The End of Faith," by Sam Harris.

Interesting...the guy manages to offend people from across the religious and political spectrum...and gets a best seller out of it.

Regards,

Steve

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bignick said:
I was in Barnes and Noble the other day and almost bought Bertrand Russell's Principles of Mathematics out of sheer curiousity, but grabbed PHP5, Apache, and MySQL Web Development along with A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking instead.

There's some light reading... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"Make a Real Living as a Freelance Writer", by Jenna Glatzer. It is very well written and I'm enjoying it.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
"Make a Real Living as a Freelance Writer", by Jenna Glatzer. It is very well written and I'm enjoying it.

Yes that is a good read.
Terry

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm in the process of re-reading living the Martial Way, it is amazing how much you gain every time you read it.
Terry

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Life, Sex and Ideas: The Good Life Without God, by A. C. Grayling

A collection of short philosophical essays that originally appeared in a U.K. periodical.

Latest Discussions