What are the chances an attacker is going to try a "submission" technique?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well yes and no, sometimes I annoy my instructor by hooting with derision at some of his / statements, and insististing he tries out on me.

one such where he said adopted this " structure" its impossible for someone to push you over, I hooted, he invited me to tr, , he is a pretty big and heavy bloke, so i, " exploded" on him from a metre away and knocked his lead leg off the floor and then pumped with my legs and over he went, " i didn't mean like that" he said " but you can't pick how someone pushes you" i replied, so we agreed " adopt this structure and its quite difficult for some one who weighs less than you to push you over unless they are very strong" was a lot more accurate

Good structure isn't static.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got a reasonably large sample from playing rugby, and if an "athlete" exploded at you from a few feet away, they will close that distance quicker than your reaction times, 2/3 10s ( that if you have particularly quick reactions )of a second, if there a bit slower/ further away, and you have just enough time to process their movement, you still cant do much about it.

there a thing called a " hospital ball" were someone passes to you in such a position and there is no other out come than being smashed in to thefloors.

the less they explode, the greater the distance between you, the more your antanticipating, the quicker your reactions, th more chance you have. but if you manage to get your arms in position for a throw, there still likely to just go straight through you, bexause if the energy there explosive movement and considerable mass has given them,,
I've thrown people charging at me, by grabbing their arms and spinning, hurling them of into the undergrowth, which is just a ruby side step with added throw,, but only where they have either a reasonably long run up, or they weren't particularly athletic( preferably both) allowing me to antipate and get in to position with my arms and feet, if they cat h me flat footed, ie in some sort of stance with my weight planted, then it become border line impossible
Rugby isn't the same situation. Some similarities, but not the same. I've seen some of these actually used in MMA fights at pretty high levels, so they do work against athletes.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well yes and no, sometimes I annoy my instructor by hooting with derision at some of his / statements, and insististing he tries out on me.

one such where he said adopted this " structure" its impossible for someone to push you over, I hooted, he invited me to tr, , he is a pretty big and heavy bloke, so i, " exploded" on him from a metre away and knocked his lead leg off the floor and then pumped with my legs and over he went, " i didn't mean like that" he said " but you can't pick how someone pushes you" i replied, so we agreed " adopt this structure and its quite difficult for some one who weighs less than you to push you over unless they are very strong" was a lot more accurate
You're wanting his words to mean what you think they mean, though. He's making a point about what a given structure can do for you. You're wanting to nitpick his exact wording, rather than trying to learn something. Sure, he overstated the point a bit, but you don't bother to look for what is meant.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Rugby isn't the same situation. Some similarities, but not the same. I've seen some of these actually used in MMA fights at pretty high levels, so they do work against athletes.
well they wwork against good athletes perhaps, when done by other better athletes. that's not the same as you or most other people on here,throwing a line backer, is it

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You're wanting his words to mean what you think they mean, though. He's making a point about what a given structure can do for you. You're wanting to nitpick his exact wording, rather than trying to learn something. Sure, he overstated the point a bit, but you don't bother to look for what is meant.
his words were try and push me over, which I did, if I can push him over when he weighs 50lbs more than me, then some little guy can push me over, so I did le.arn something, don't stand like that in a pushing !match, perhaps he learned the same tHing !

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
his words were try and push me over, which I did, if I can push him over when he weighs 50lbs more than me, then some little guy can push me over, so I did le.arn something, don't stand like that in a pushing !match, perhaps he learned the same tHing !
Or maybe you missed what he was trying to teach.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

So is your instructor any sort of decent wrestler?

Someone who would actually know how to stand?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Or maybe you missed what he was trying to teach.
it's my learning style to challenge what I'm told, not facts, though some times facts turn out to be not so factual, when you require them to be proved beyond reasonable doubt, but the application and interpretation of those fact, to be proved by rational debate or demonstration. that way, when I think I know some thing I'm reasonably sure that what I know is true, and if the thing is reversed and someone does it to me and I'm wrong then I learn from that aas well.

. this became less and less of an issue, the higher up the educational system I got, where chalanging facts and theories is the main point of education. but my school teacher used to get very upset with me, for telling them they were wrong and proving it in front of the class, getting bullied for being clever isn't unusual at school, but its not generally the teacher doing it

authority figures, or at !least people who think they are an authority on the subject in hand, ( like some on here)don't always appreciate this method of learning and get quite cross, when asked to prove something they believe is true, but they have never taken the trouble to prove to themselves. that's how myths are perpetrated andseems particularly prevalent in ma where instructors are above being challenge

like say, thinking they can't be pushed over, and telling others this us so, it doesn't generally cause issues at the dojo, the instructor is amenable to being challenge, though he did get very very annoyed with me, when demonstrating an arm lock on me in front of a visiting instructor from"head office" and no matter how hard he tried, I just twisted my arm and unlocked it and laughed at his attempts, but that's his problem for believing what someone else has told him, with out testing it properly,

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
it's my learning style to challenge what I'm told, not facts, though some times facts turn out to be not so factual, when you require them to be proved beyond reasonable doubt, but the application and interpretation of those fact, to be proved by rational debate or demonstration. that way, when I think I know some thing I'm reasonably sure that what I know is true, and if the thing is reversed and someone does it to me and I'm wrong then I learn from that aas well.

. this became less and less of an issue, the higher up the educational system I got, where chalanging facts and theories is the main point of education. but my school teacher used to get very upset with me, for telling them they were wrong and proving it in front of the class, getting bullied for being clever isn't unusual at school, but its not generally the teacher doing it

authority figures, or at !least people who think they are an authority on the subject in hand, ( like some on here)don't always appreciate this method of learning and get quite cross, when asked to prove something they believe is true, but they have never taken the trouble to prove to themselves. that's how myths are perpetrated andseems particularly prevalent in ma where instructors are above being challenge

like say, thinking they can't be pushed over, and telling others this us so, it doesn't generally cause issues at the dojo, the instructor is amenable to being challenge, though he did get very very annoyed with me, when demonstrating an arm lock on me in front of a visiting instructor from"head office" and no matter how hard he tried, I just twisted my arm and unlocked it and laughed at his attempts, but that's his problem for believing what someone else has told him, with out testing it properly,

For us we do demo, drill, resisted, sparring pretty much.

So there is that opportunity to lab test but also some time to get a handle on the technique as well.

I think the issue was your timing.