What Kind Of Martial Arts Do You Do?

Matt Neuman

White Belt
Reaction score
No idea, I am new to the whole MA thing, that is what I was told. I will have to ask for clarification. :)

No, Kuo Shu Aiki-jitsu has nothing at all to do with Japanese Aikijitsu. The English name for the system is "The Way of Unlimited Strength and Harmony". It is an American hybrid system made up of various American, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and Filipino systems. Kuo Shu Aiki-jitsu was founded in 2001 by Shihan Alan Gililland. I am currently the senior instructor under him.

Last edited:

Stablades86

White Belt
Reaction score
Capoeira, Taekwondo, and Wing Chun. I also train with every weapon I can get my hands on. Katana, kamas, nunchakus, 3 sectional staff, sai, and more.

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Karate, Shudokan lineage, Tai chi, Pa Kua, Wrestling, Kickboxing, Boxing, Doce Pares, some Wing Chun, Chinese Kempo, EPK, ....and a string of eclectic styles

Mostly the Last 12yrs I have trained in my base/First, art Kwon Bup...which is influenced mostly by Kyokushin and Kang Duk Won..

Last edited:

Drobison491

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Obligatory stint in TKD (20ish years ago), a year stint in a kajukenbo offshoot (5 years ago), Uechi Ryu for the past 9 months

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Krav Maga - Expert 2
Muay Thai - Training 7-8 years
Mantis Kung Fu - 3rd Degree Black Sash
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - Black Belt
Kajukenbo Karate - 2nd Degree Black Belt

shima

K3NPO
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shaolin Kenpo for me the past decade. I've got all my various styles I've studied since I began my martial arts journey back in 2000 listed below in my signature :)

RavenDarkfellow

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I was 5 years old when my uncle first taught me some fundamentals of martial arts. I was roughly seven when he stopped training my cousins and I, and even that "training" up until that point had been extremely loose, informal, sporadic, and not what anyone would consider "real" training. It mostly just gave me ideas to think about.

From there I was obsessed with martial arts pop culture, absorbing what I could from film, TV, and books. By the time I was 14, I had no martial arts options for training near me, but I began to study the written works of real martial artists, and researched everything I could get my hands on. Of course, reading is no substitute for real training, but it's great to teach you principles and concepts that you can mentally wrestle with. Unfortunately with no instructor, practising said concepts can create a lot of bad habits-- and so I gained many.

By the time I was 19, I finally had access to real martial arts, starting with a brief foray into Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (which I usually don't "count" when I talk about the beginning of my training) followed by a serious dive into Kenpo-Karate-- which is what I consider to be my "base style", and the point at which I begin to count my training in casual martial convo.

After about two years in Tracy style Chinese Kenpo-Karate/Chuan'Fa, I branched out. I was living in a new place with access to all sorts of styles. I dabbled in a myriad of them over the years, including Uechi-ryu Karate, Kyokushin Karate, BJJ, and Muay Thai. Eventually, I found a real martial academy where I went consistently for about five years, and inconsistently much longer. There, they instructed me in: Muay Thai, BJJ, Canadian Catch/Shoot Wrestling, Japanese Jiu-Jitsu, Celtic Stick, Filipino hand & stick styles, Judo, and Jeet Kune Do (not Jun Fan Gung Fu, but open JKD).

Later, I would train for several months in Classical & Non-classical Gung Fu & Wing Chun specifically. Then there was North American Boxing, Kickboxing, Wrestling, and cage-fighting (which interestingly, is its own style of Wrestling).

So when people ask me, "What style of martial arts do you do?" in my head, my answer is always, "The only style. All style. Fighting is fighting."

This is the truth I've learned over the years. It can be summed up best like this, I think:

"All paths lead to the same road."

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well my main was Karate (Professor Danny Andersons out of Oregon). I dabbled in Tae Kwon Do and Ed Parkers Kenpo then moved on to Personal Self-Defense (Close Quarter Combat) though at my age now, I prefer a long stick lol.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hahahaha at 23rd degree
Why? Systems make up their own rank structure. While ten seems to be the most common number of Dan ranks, there are exceptions. Many TKD system use 9, with a 10th Dan as a posthumous rank given to people for service. The Bujinkan uses 15. There's a system that uses a camo belt as a geup rank. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there are systems with more.

Bobbycat

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In earlier years, free style wrestling and SAMBO. After several injuries - yoga and Tai Chi. Now - Xing Yi Quan. I see it is not very popular here :)

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Why? Systems make up their own rank structure. While ten seems to be the most common number of Dan ranks, there are exceptions. Many TKD system use 9, with a 10th Dan as a posthumous rank given to people for service. The Bujinkan uses 15. There's a system that uses a camo belt as a geup rank. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there are systems with more.
It’s clearly BS because Master Ken is only an 11th degree black belt in Ameridote and clearly nobody could possibly outrank Master Ken. :D

KunTaoKid

White Belt
Reaction score
Just wondering what type of martial arts you do, for me I do karate.
I do KunTao Silat. It's not really popular and the kinds that are known a little better are kinda shitty like Fu Chuan fa while i do my royal family style which was brought over by the Liu

Latest Discussions