What Kind Of Martial Arts Do You Do?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
REMINDER TO MEMBERS:

Art/style bashing is not allowed, per the guidelines you agreed to when you signed up.

Gerry Seymour
MT Moderator
@gpseymour

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
3rd Dan, Isshinryu. Master Mitchum lineage.
Whenever I see reference to "lineage," I get a little amused. Up until a few years ago when I got "back" into karate, I never heard that term re: isshinryu. Introducing myself to a younger practitioner, he asked me my lineage. I was very confused. I searched my mind for an answer, and found only one - "Shimabuku lineage."

When I got my black belt, there was only one 10th dan "Soke." Tatsuo was still around. I believe my shodan certificate carried his mark. I don't believe there was anyone who claimed to be a 9th or even 8th degree at that time. To this day, while I follow my sensei in following Uechi, who followed Uezo, I still consider that we all share and follow the Shimabuku lineage and those he learned from.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Whenever I see reference to "lineage," I get a little amused. Up until a few years ago when I got "back" into karate, I never heard that term re: isshinryu. Introducing myself to a younger practitioner, he asked me my lineage. I was very confused. I searched my mind for an answer, and found only one - "Shimabuku lineage."

When I got my black belt, there was only one 10th dan "Soke." Tatsuo was still around. I believe my shodan certificate carried his mark. I don't believe there was anyone who claimed to be a 9th or even 8th degree at that time. To this day, while I follow my sensei in following Uechi, who followed Uezo, I still consider that we all share and follow the Shimabuku lineage and those he learned from.
I mention it because there are differences in some kata, as well as bunkai breakdowns by omote and oyo.

I started training at age 46, I'm in my 61st year now. Although I knew Angi Uezu, he was not my sensei. I will never live long enough to reach high dan rank.

I admit to some pride in knowing my sensei trained directly under Sherman Harrill and Harold Mitchum. We strive to keep our kata as close as possible to what has been passed to us. While I never met Sensei Harrill, I have at least met and done kata with the late Sensei Mitchum at his home.

I hope my mention of lineage isn't off-putting, I don't mean to be divisive. We currently have several adult yudansha in our dojo who came from other isshinryu schools. They're of course our brothers and our family. Some of their movements seem odd to some of us, is all.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I mention it because there are differences in some kata, as well as bunkai breakdowns by omote and oyo.

I started training at age 46, I'm in my 61st year now. Although I knew Angi Uezu, he was not my sensei. I will never live long enough to reach high dan rank.

I admit to some pride in knowing my sensei trained directly under Sherman Harrill and Harold Mitchum. We strive to keep our kata as close as possible to what has been passed to us. While I never met Sensei Harrill, I have at least met and done kata with the late Sensei Mitchum at his home.

I hope my mention of lineage isn't off-putting, I don't mean to be divisive. We currently have several adult yudansha in our dojo who came from other isshinryu schools. They're of course our brothers and our family. Some of their movements seem odd to some of us, is all.
No problem claiming Mitchum lineage. He was one of the original Marine bangers of Tatsuo. The original difference in lineages, should be noted, is derived from the time period they studied with Shimabuku as he continued to make small changes, rather than differences in theory or the concept of isshinryu.

Sensei Harrill was a true student of karate and one of the first to rediscover the oyo bunkai. He was tough as well. Too bad he passed before his time. As for the high ranking American isshinryu guys now, I know of only the few true experts. The majority of other guys with red on their belts, well, uh, ...

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
3rd Dan, Isshinryu. Master Mitchum lineage.
Bill,

I remember your posts from color belts to today.
I have always appreciated your comments and insight and thoughts.

Everyone,
I teach two different styles of FMA (Filipino Martial Arts).
I started in Modern Arnis in 86.
I started in Balintawak in 94.

For Balintawak, our instructor (GM) Manong Ted Buot (Deceased) would say when one could teach.
This was for just a friend to a group to a seminar to you are able to just teach.
He also asked me and one other to carry on the system for him as he learned it from the Founder GM Bacon.

I don't use special titles (my choice) Marketing I use Master.
I wish everyone good and healthy training.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Eskrido de Alcuizar (FMA) for the last 5 years. Have a history of Thai Boxing / JKD.

Inosanto Eskrima/JKD (Torrance).
Ted Lucay Lucay Escrima.
Raf Viloria Derobio Escrima.
Steve Tarani/Jerry Hofmann FMA/Thai Boxing.
Ron Manrique - Eskrido de Alcuizar.

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
well my main style is the Glasgow Kiss. A Jockanese fighting system developed on the streets of Scotland.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4th Dan in Hapkido under GM Rodemaker
1st Dan Tae Kwon Do under M Tim Holmes

Haven't trained TDK in many years so not sure how valid it is for me anymore.

Latest Discussions