What is circle punch?

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Alan, a ton of bricks falling has no technique but it can still kill you if it falls on you. No one is going to dispute that size and strength do not matter. If it didn't, what would be the point of all those pushups :). Most combat sports have weight categories to help level the playing field a little. Kyokushin still have open weight tournaments but you rarely see smaller guys finishing at the top.

It is good for you to question whether your 18 oz walking stick will help you defend against someone who is 6'-8" with arms that are 19" in diameter. There are probably many other reasons you should question if that is a good idea at all. However, that doesn't mean you shouldn't train and try to improve yourself physically and mentally against attacks. It just means you should be more realistic and honest about which types of situations you will be more successful in defending yourself with your can. How can you find these limits ? Find opportunities to test your skills against live non-cooperating opponents who you trust can help you find the areas you need to work on to become better.

Hopefully the source of what is prompting you to feel the need to defend yourself will also lessen (ie: Attacks against Asians). Good luck and keep safe.
Yes, that's the reason I still spend like 3 hours a week doing weight training. But as I get old(68) muscle starts to shrink. I used to be able to do like 2 reps of 225lbs bench press 10 years ago. Last year before the shut down, I barely can do 6 to 7 reps of 185lbs!!! I quit going to the gym and doing weights at home. I got two weighted jackets totaled to 60lbs and wear them to do push-up instead of benching. I can still do 20 pushups with the jackets with legs on the chair. I still can do 10 reps of bicep curls with 40lbs dumbbell.

To me, strength is as important as fighting skills. Too bad we all have to get old. I am short also, only 5'5" over weight. My arm shrink from 16" 10 years ago to only 15 1/4" squeezing real hard:(!!! I am spending quit a bit of time on the cane fight as I am in a big disadvantage against younger and bigger people. I put in about 7hrs a week in the pass 4 months, my body is complaining left and right!!! I have the heart, just not the body!!! I train as hard as my body allow me at this point, and the 7hr/wk might not last much longer. I don't want to end up hurting myself, I am constantly fighting injuries, now my right knee is giving me hard time. I decided to take a week off this week and see.

Yes, I started to add in the cane fight to my routine when all the Asians are being attacked. I don't believe in protesting and say " pretty please, please respect me!!". I am doing my part in protecting myself and my wife. I am no expert in MA, but I just keep practicing.

Thanks

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Don't..don't do that. Punching with your middle knuckles will just get you broken fingers. Take everything you hear on this site with a grain of salt.. seriously.
I watched Connor McGregor punched like that. I tried on the heavy bag, I don't think it's bad. In fact, I think it's quite good.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Some MA people carry walking stick with sword in it.

View attachment 27013

The cane gun is even better.

View attachment 27014

I have a solid steel spear head that can be attached at the end of my hiking stick. I use it to deal with mountain lion when I hike.

View attachment 27015
Those are ILLEGAL!!! Talk about guns, I have plenty, I don't need a stick that fires only one shot. I have guns from tiny to big if I want to carry concealed and I am very good shooter also. You know how much trouble you can get into using a firearm even for justifiable self defense? Those liberal DA will throw the book on you making you an example. Even a knife can get you into deep trouble.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Agree! During the full contact Karate time (1973 - 1976), many Karate guys came to me for external medicine (used for iron palm training) for their broken knuckles from their ridge hand striking.

Sometime people may forget that they should use hard to hit soft, and use soft to hit hard. A palm edge strike on the skull is much more effective than a fist on the skull.
Oh man, is iron palm training a SCAM?!!! I through that was useful, I spent 3 F***ing years practicing iron palm, at least 4 times a week hitting steel ball bearings. I can assure you my striking did NOT get stronger, my slapping on the heavy bags did NOT get stronger. I got carpal tunnel on both hands and I had to have surgery on my left hand and still consider surgery on my right hand. That is the BIGGEST SCAM I got in my life.

I am Chinese, I am very very skeptical on all the hype of the chinese kung fu. You guys can attack me, ban me, I don't care. All the BS I heard when I was in Hong Kong from those teachers............. I was the victim of the lies. Now, I have been punching 6"X6" wood pole bare knuckle, elbow and also kicking the pole for 5 years, it sure paid off. This I watched from Karate. I hit harder, my wrists are stronger, I don't have to be afraid punching the skull if I have to.

That's why I picked Tae Kwon Do even though I learned Wing Chun before. You know what I think of Wing Chun already. I only interested in things that actually works, not by talking. Anyone want to say what works, GO ON UFC AND WIN SOME FIGHTS. Don't just talk. Now they have Balletor and Professional fight that is not as high standard, more opportunities for people that think they are better to proof.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with hitting someone with the middle knuckle. If you target your punches and understand what parts of the fist to use and when then it's not an issue.

People who only know how to use these 2 knuckles on a fist are usually the ones worried about breaking their hands. People should also learn how to target their punches instead of just swinging hard and hope to hit something.

View attachment 27018

Get good with targeting your opponent and learn to strike with different areas of your fist and a lot of the worries about breaking the hand and knuckles should evaporate.
View attachment 27021
I didn't say middle knuckle I said middle knuckles..as in the ones mid way down your finger.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I watched Connor McGregor punched like that. I tried on the heavy bag, I don't think it's bad. In fact, I think it's quite good.
No..you didn't. He punches properly with his top knuckles..just like everyone else that actually fights. He punches like a boxer.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
No..you didn't. He punches properly with his top knuckles..just like everyone else that actually fights. He punches like a boxer.
I don't know exactly what you two were debating about what knuckle, all I know is I happened to have a commercial of UFC that showed McGregor using a circle punch and I slow down to frame by frame to verify he punched EXACTLY like GowGaWolf showed in post #3 on the first page of this thread.

What do you call that knuckle? Normal punch is with the big knuckle, you call that second knuckle?

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know exactly what you two were debating about what knuckle, all I know is I happened to have a commercial of UFC that showed McGregor using a circle punch and I slow down to frame by frame to verify he punched EXACTLY like GowGaWolf showed in post #3 on the first page of this thread.

What do you call that knuckle? Normal punch is with the big knuckle, you call that second knuckle?
No he showed a strike with the middle knuckles. Half way down the finger. A lot of tmas teach those sorts of strikes but they are mechanically problematic.

cane56

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What exactly is circle punch. I went on youtube to look and this is the only one I found and I was told this is not right:

Can anyone show me how to do a circle punch, I never heard of this in my days. I only know hook punch.

Thanks
So it's my ridge hand

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No he showed a strike with the middle knuckles. Half way down the finger. A lot of tmas teach those sorts of strikes but they are mechanically problematic.
It's not problematic if you use them for circular punch. If you are doing linear punches, then yes, you are going to have. I would never teach someone to punch like this. I may show the fist, give a lecture...kung fu this,... kung fu that. But I would never do drills or sparring with this type of fist. This is a linear strike and not a circular one. This is problematic. Lightly punch a heavy bag like this and it won't take long to identify the problems and risk of this type of fist.

1626384927810.png

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It's not problematic if you use them for circular punch. If you are doing linear punches, then yes, you are going to have. I would never teach someone to punch like this. I may show the fist, give a lecture...kung fu this,... kung fu that. But I would never do drills or sparring with this type of fist. This is a linear strike and not a circular one. This is problematic. Lightly punch a heavy bag like this and it won't take long to identify the problems and risk of this type of fist.

View attachment 27026
Yes, that will hurt. I tried on kicking bag before, it hurts.

The one you show in post #3 works. Like I said, I go frame by frame confirming Connor McGregor did a circle punch exactly like that. I have to try this next week, the few I tried feels better than Ridge hand. I am just on strike trying to recover from all the aches and pains.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh man, is iron palm training a SCAM?!!! I through that was useful, I spent 3 F***ing years practicing iron palm, at least 4 times a week hitting steel ball bearings. I can assure you my striking did NOT get stronger, my slapping on the heavy bags did NOT get stronger. I got carpal tunnel on both hands and I had to have surgery on my left hand and still consider surgery on my right hand. That is the BIGGEST SCAM I got in my life.

I am Chinese, I am very very skeptical on all the hype of the chinese kung fu. You guys can attack me, ban me, I don't care. All the BS I heard when I was in Hong Kong from those teachers............. I was the victim of the lies. Now, I have been punching 6"X6" wood pole bare knuckle, elbow and also kicking the pole for 5 years, it sure paid off. This I watched from Karate. I hit harder, my wrists are stronger, I don't have to be afraid punching the skull if I have to.

That's why I picked Tae Kwon Do even though I learned Wing Chun before. You know what I think of Wing Chun already. I only interested in things that actually works, not by talking. Anyone want to say what works, GO ON UFC AND WIN SOME FIGHTS. Don't just talk. Now they have Balletor and Professional fight that is not as high standard, more opportunities for people that think they are better to proof.
You go on UFC and win some fights. Tell us how it works out for you.

Can’t do it? I guess you must be telling us lies now.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score

I'll be the first one to say I won't last a minute inside the Octagon. I never said I am good, I am too old.

Hell, I work on heavy bags everyweek, I call that aerobics, I don't even dare to say I am practicing martial arts because I know MMA will eat me for breakfast. If Kung Fu is so good, proof inside the Octagon. I wonder why no kung fu goes into the Octagon after they got creamed in the first two UFC at the very beginning in the early 90s.

Go on youtube and check out Xu Ziaodong. I heard there is a standing offer of $20K to anyone that can beat him. Last I know, he is still loud month and trash talk.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'll be the first one to say I won't last a minute inside the Octagon. I never said I am good, I am too old.

Hell, I work on heavy bags everyweek, I call that aerobics, I don't even dare to say I am practicing martial arts because I know MMA will eat me for breakfast. If Kung Fu is so good, proof inside the Octagon. I wonder why no kung fu goes into the Octagon after they got creamed in the first two UFC at the very beginning in the early 90s.

Go on youtube and check out Xu Ziaodong. I heard there is a standing offer of $20K to anyone that can beat him. Last I know, he is still loud month and trash talk.
You don't need to fight professionally..or even at all..to train in MMA.

But the skills you will learn will by far surpass anything you will get from any traditional style in terms of fighting ability. If your goal is to be able to hold your own in an actual fight this is the best route.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

ha ha ha. that's right and there's a lot of us who are liars by that standard. ha ha ha. My brain still works lol

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

He only wants to fight fake martial artist. He says he knows some people can really fight with kung fu and he's not challenging those people. He's just wants to expose those who claim amazing fighting ability but never show it.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

But the skills you will learn will by far surpass anything you will get from any traditional style in terms of fighting ability. If your goal is to be able to hold your own in an actual fight this is the best route.
1626394278493.png

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Actually my wife was just saying that to me today!!! Believe it or not, we have a UFC gym less than 2 miles from us. My wife belongs to the UFC gym!!! She doesn't do MMA, she was originally belonged to another gym that closed because of the pandemic, they switch all their membership to UFC gym and my wife is going there for the last few months.

I think they have one-on-one training. I would not want to join the big class as I am too old to keep up with the young kids. But one on one is doable. I wonder how much it cost per lesson. Not for anything, learning take down defense can go a long long way for me.

Speaking of take down defense, that was the reason I learn iron palm. When the grabbler tries to tackle, their back is going to be exposed, it would be in perfect position to use iron palm to slap on their back breaking their back bone. Sadly, after 3 years, I absolutely did not hit any harder than before. I tried slapping on the heavy bag, it just doesn't penetrate the bag. It's really no different from Hammer Fist used in MMA and you don't need to toughen up the hand to do hammer fist. Hammer fist actually hits harder than iron palm. I do practice hammer fist.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
learning take down defense can go a long long way for me.
It's better to learn take down than to learn take down defense. When you learn take down, you will learn take down defense, but not the other way around.

Also I don't believe full contact is suitable for anybody over 36 years old.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would not want to join the big class as I am too old to keep up with the young kids.
No one sees this when they train. All they see is someone giving it their best and if you can do that, then they have no excuse not to.

You'll be surprised at how many young people actually look up to older people who still put in the work.

Latest Discussions