What fiction book are you currently reading?

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anathem by Neal Stephenson. As with most of his books I'm really enjoying it, and I'll be terribly disappointed (yet again) if it turns out that he still hasn't learned how to end a story.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just finished The Girl Who Played with Fire, the second book in the The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series. Unfortunately, the third and final book in the series is not yet available in the US. I'm not sure what I'm going to read next, but I need to find something fast. I'm ALWAYS reading a book and I'm already jonesing after a day and half with no novel.
A day and a half! Holy crap! That is when I start rereading stuff until I can get something new.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
By the Sword by F. Paul Wilson
The Steel Tide by Jeff Shaara.
Grey Lensmen by EE Doc Smith
Under Enemy Colors by S. Thomas Russell

The Repairman Jack series is starting to lose my interest, this last one felt like it was just going through the motions. Too "big scary end of the world" stuff, I liked his early work where he "fixed" things more mundane.

The Steel Tide is excellent and makes a good albeit fictional companion peice to Ambrose's "Band of Brothers" as it focuses on some members of the 82nd airborne during Normandy.

The Lensmen series is great if you like classic space opera where the heroes are incorruptibly good, the damsels in distress appropriately beautiful, and the evil aliens villians incredibly evil, callous, and indescribably hideous. Good stuff in limited doses.

Under Enemy Colors was a gamble based on my like of the Forester and O'Brian naval series, and I am very surprised and pleased that it is falls as a good companion to those other books. Not as detailed as the Aubrey/Maturin series, more like the early Hornblower books, which were my favorite anyway, more swashing the buckle than details about rigging. :D So far I have been very impressed.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Currently reading "On Basilisk Station" ... yes ... AGAIN! What of it? It's only about the 12th time (ish) :lol:. Webber is one of my favourite authors and Honor Harrington one of my favourite fictional characters. She is like I aspire to be but fail miserably.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was thinking more of her physical and moral courage ... but each to their own :D

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
The last volume of the coldfire triology (Crown of Shadows) by Celia Friedman.

The coldfire trilogy is one of the most captivating series I have ever read. The characters feel so human, and the book does away with the concept of good and evil characters. No main character is purely good or bad. The most evil one has its human touches, and the most virtuous also have their petty actions. Oh, and some of the 'good' ones die in the story.

Pure genius.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Currently reading "On Basilisk Station" ... yes ... AGAIN! What of it? It's only about the 12th time (ish) :lol:. Webber is one of my favourite authors and Honor Harrington one of my favourite fictional characters. She is like I aspire to be but fail miserably.

That is one of my favorite books. Like many such story arcs the early books are better as they focus on smaller actions and greater individual development. The last couple of Honor books have been bloated with politics. It feels like the Saganami books are an attempt to return to the single ship actions that made the Honor books so good, he'll be lucky to duplicate the magic though.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
By the Sword by F. Paul Wilson
The Steel Tide by Jeff Shaara.
Grey Lensmen by EE Doc Smith
Under Enemy Colors by S. Thomas Russell

The Repairman Jack series is starting to lose my interest, this last one felt like it was just going through the motions. Too "big scary end of the world" stuff, I liked his early work where he "fixed" things more mundane.
While it isn't losing my interest just yet, I would like some more stories of "fixing" things.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Breathless by Koontz...
Son of a ______! This is why I get his books from the library. Interesting, entertaining but, it was like half a dozen subplots that never came together enough for my satisfaction.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Breathless by Koontz...
Son of a ______! This is why I get his books from the library. Interesting, entertaining but, it was like half a dozen subplots that never came together enough for my satisfaction.

LOL! As you know, I'm not a Koontz fan, but I will read his books on rare occasion. I saw his new book Breathless and almost thought of picking it up, but...nah. And I'm glad I didn't, cuz then I would have to finish it. It must really suck if a Koontz fan wasn't satisfied with the read. :)

I picked up a fluff book. The last 3 novels I read had serious plots and I was hankering for something light and mindless. lol So now I'm reading Bright Lights, Big ***. Only a chapter or 2 into it but it's making me chuckle.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just finished Michael Crichton's Pirate Latitudes. I liked it, very entertaining.
Rereading The Bear and the Dragon by Tom Clancy.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anathem by Neal Stephenson. As with most of his books I'm really enjoying it, and I'll be terribly disappointed (yet again) if it turns out that he still hasn't learned how to end a story.

Finished. And... the ending was okay. I think the problem with Stephenson is that he can't write action sequences very well. They end up very confused and disjointed. It wasn't as bad in this book because even the action scenes were talky. Overall, I liked it. It was definitely not your run-of-the-mill science fiction.

Am now reading Pandora's Star by Peter Hamilton. I'll give it a shot, but the prologue annoyed me. For one thing, he's a British writer and his attempt to write American surfer dialog was very clumsy. For another, it was written around 2003 and he can't resist taking shots at the US based on current affairs despite the fact that his main character is an American astronaut. Kinda makes me wonder if his head's really in the future. We'll see.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just picked up The Disciple by Stephen Coonts at the library.
Love Jake Grafton.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The Disciple was very good. Stephen Coonts can end a story, Dean Koontz, not so much...

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Close to finishing "The Honour of the Queen", the second Honor Harrington novel. Brilliant as always - you can tell I love this series of books as I read it at least twice a year :O.

Latest Discussions