What fiction book are you currently reading?

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm now reading How Few Remain by Harry Turtledove. It's an alternate history where the Confederate States won the Civil War and now 20 years later Stonewall Jackson is commanding the Confederate army in a second war against the United States. Abraham Lincoln has turned Marxist and is speaking against capitalists in the Utah Territory, and Sam Clemens (Mark Twain) is running an anti-war paper in San Francisco.

It's a pretty fun read for history buffs like me.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"The Children of Hurin" - J.R.R. Tolkien (ish). I have read this before but I cannot recall when or where.

jadelee

White Belt
Reaction score
Needful Things - Stephen King. Lovely thing i should say. Try!

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm now reading How Few Remain by Harry Turtledove. It's an alternate history where the Confederate States won the Civil War and now 20 years later Stonewall Jackson is commanding the Confederate army in a second war against the United States. Abraham Lincoln has turned Marxist and is speaking against capitalists in the Utah Territory, and Sam Clemens (Mark Twain) is running an anti-war paper in San Francisco.

I've heard of that series and I'd like to try it someday...let us know how you like it.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Just finished the Poisonwood Bible by Kingsolver and am now on Minotaur Takes a Cigarette Break.

TPB by Kingsolver is wonderfully written. It is inspiring me to find other Kingsolvers. If somebody could tell me their opinion on which other of her books is the best I'd appreciate it.

MTACB is different, I'll give it that. It is keeping me interested.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just finished Dean Koontz's Frankenstein Dead and Alive
Not as good as the first two with Kevin J. Anderson, but, entertaining

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Finished Galactic North by Alastair Reynolds, now reading The Prefect by the same author. If anyone here likes scifi, I highly recommend this author. He presents large-scale themes and near miraculous (yet plausible) technology, but the focus is always on his well-defined characters.
icon14.gif

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
TPB by Kingsolver is wonderfully written. It is inspiring me to find other Kingsolvers. If somebody could tell me their opinion on which other of her books is the best I'd appreciate it.

I read The Bean Trees and Animal Dreams years ago. Of the two I recall preffering the Bean Trees, but both were very good. She also put out a book of poetry called "Otra America" which her poetry in both Spanish and English.

Edit: Actually I think "Otra America" is the Spanish language version of "Other America" at the time my espanol was pretty good and I was trying to read in the language for proficiency.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score

Good series, but I wound up dropping out after book three or so. Turtledove did a great job with this one, IIRC all the "Marxist" quotes that were attributed to Lincoln in that book were actually lifted from Lincoln's actual speeches, though taken out of context.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Reading "Rise to Rebellion" by Jeff Shaara, good stuff so far and its inspired me to kickstart my stalled reading of the The Federalist Papers. The third book I am juggling is Sorcerer: Metamorphosis which is Jack Whyte's take on the Arthurian tale, this series is now my favorite historical fiction.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My thanks to whomever mentioned Apropos of Nothing a while back. I just finished it and it was excellent. Incidentally, there's some good self defense philosophy underpinning it ;)

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm about 3 chapters into The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and I'm already hooked.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just finished rereading "Going Postal" and Making Money" by Terry Pratchett. He`s probably the funniest person writing in the English language in the last 40 years.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Awesome! Terry's great, I actually went to one of his speaking/signing events when he released "We Free Men."

Anyways, both Going Postal and Making Money are both awesome. Moist is one of his best characters in years. Though I'm a fan of Carrot and the rest of the Nightwatch.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Reading Alex Cross' Trial by James Patterson and Richard Dilallo, er Richard Dilallo in Patterson's short chapter format with Patterson's Character's name on the cover...
All in all it is good, but, doesn't read nearly as fast as Patterson.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Just finished the Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Chabon. Nicely told story that manages to combine the (more or less) true story about the golden age of comic books with the fictional story of a Jewish boy who escaped Prague during the Nazi occupation. Joe Kavalier is written as something of a Marty Stu, but the imaginitiveness that went into the plot and some of the clever side characters makes up for that.

Now on Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet, about 1/3 in. So far so good, and I'm learning everything I ever wanted to know about building a cathedral in medival England, the politics of the early Catholic Church, and the life of your average 12th century peasants (it sucked).

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Now on Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet, about 1/3 in. So far so good, and I'm learning everything I ever wanted to know about building a cathedral in medival England, the politics of the early Catholic Church, and the life of your average 12th century peasants (it sucked).

Excellent book. I honestly felt for Tom Builder reading about his daily struggles to feed and house his family while trying to find opportunities to ply his trade. There's a sequel of sorts, too, but I didn't like it as much as Pillars of the Earth.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just finished the Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Chabon. Nicely told story that manages to combine the (more or less) true story about the golden age of comic books with the fictional story of a Jewish boy who escaped Prague during the Nazi occupation. Joe Kavalier is written as something of a Marty Stu, but the imaginitiveness that went into the plot and some of the clever side characters makes up for that.

Both awesome books, as a longtime comic nerd and sorta historian of the genre a lot of what happened in the story actually connected on a pretty deep level with me.

As for Pillars of The Earth, it's good, but I prefered when Follet wrote spy fiction.

Latest Discussions