What does 'Mushi Mushi' mean?

Grasshopper22

Orange Belt
Reaction score
What does 'Mushi Mushi' mean? Because it says it when you hover your cursor over the above icon.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
"Moshi moshi" is a generic greeting typically used when answering the phone in Japanese. The emoticon has it spelled incorrectly. It's nothing to do with martial arts specifically, and is more used here as a form of acknowledgment of someone's post or comment.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is a Japanese greeting, rougly equivalent to "hello" :)

The little icons are part of a package that Bob put together with the software, whoever created the software initially gave them all titles.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
The fact I actually knew this, but didnt know it was Japanese, is making Me giggle a bit right now :)

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
my understanding is its a very neutral hello normally used on the phone in Japanese speaking country's. ( hay the Okinawans are not Japanese, just ask them )

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
there is also chawan mushi, which is a japanese custard like dessert. Really tasty.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have never heard 'mushi, mushi' being used as anything other than what you say when you pick up the phone. I never heard people say it to each other in person. I also never heard it once, or thrice, but always twice.

It's like when you walk down the street in Okinawa in a shopping district; they have 'bowers' (usually pretty girls) who stand and the door and bow to you, saying 'Hai, Dozo!' (yes, please) to get you to enter the store.

When I used to watch television in Okinawa, the talk shows were full of the two phrases I heard the most in Okinawa. "Hai, dozo," and "Non Deska?" Literally, 'yes please' and 'what is it?'

Hearing 'mushi, mushi' brings back memories.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Probably not what is being referred to, but still sounds delicious.

It is delicious, but not every japanese restaurant has it. There are certain restaurants here that we go to mainly because my father wants the chawan mushi.

Latest Discussions