What do you think is the most ruthless?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see ruthlessness as being a characteristic of a person or practitioner, not as a component of an art.
I have to agree. ANY art has it's component of "ruthless" techniques. Whether or not a person chooses to use them is a personal choice.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
LOL! it would kill me!

Thinking about it further perhaps martial arts are a tool as much as anything else?
Martial arts are a technology. Like any technology, they are neither inherently good nor bad. Let me use a scenario to highlight what I mean: A gunman is killing school kids. A police officer responds, and shoots and kills the gunman. The technology, the gun, is neutral in and of itself. It's how it's used that matters.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Martial arts are a technology. Like any technology, they are neither inherently good nor bad. Let me use a scenario to highlight what I mean: A gunman is killing school kids. A police officer responds, and shoots and kills the gunman. The technology, the gun, is neutral in and of itself. It's how it's used that matters.

That's how I think about it, you can't have a ruthless gun as you can't have a compassionate one.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's how I think about it, you can't have a ruthless gun as you can't have a compassionate one.
I guess maybe a squirt gun loaded with holy water could be considered a compassionate gun! :rofl:

Seriously, this is why I don't want (and don't have) a lot of moral philosophy in my martial arts. I'm not going to to teach someone I think is going to break the law, but I'm not going to try to impose my morality on my students. Not even the kids...

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not to a vampire. Bigot.

-Rob
But you see, that's still compassion. A vampire is a poor soul condemned to walk the earth after their death; ending their suffering IS compassion!

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Most martial arts have ruthless techniques in there systems.

The one that impress us.. is the INDONESIAN martial arts -Pinon-silat?

The one we saw has many bones breaking techniques

In our Universal Kempo Karate schools - it can be a very brutel or ruthless if we wish to use those techniques that kill or break bones or neck or anything that cause lots of damages

Every martial arts have "eye gouging" which can be consider? ruthless...

Even Judo can be consider "ruthless"...when you see the COMBAT SIDE OF JUDO....breaking joints, necks,elbows,wrist,fingers, eye gouging too..

Most people do not think about breaking the BIG TOE....just like breaking the thumbs...same results!

NO matter which arts you take...most of them have "ruthless" techniques in them......

Aloha ...to end an attack...may need to be "ruthless".....

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do not think any of the arts are more "ruthless", as you have defined it, then the others.
I think that the practitioner who may be ruthless. that said I would say that the older styles may be taught to resort to some of the devastating techniques before say some one who trains in BJJ or Judo might.
but again that is the practitioner will be the one who makes that dissension.

Reaction score
The most ruthless MA is one that teaches combat as way to kill your enemy while simultaneously dehumanizing said enemy. So I'd say systems taught to military personnel would be the most ruthless.

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think the most ruthless martial art is the irish art of Fuk-Yu.

It's mostly just headbutting people and then kicking them while they're on the ground.

It's pretty ruthless.

-Rob

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Definately Turkish Wrestling.
Why? If focuses on forcing your hands down some other guy`s pants for christ`s sake!

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This may turn into an argument, but what do you guys think is the most ruthless martial art that is publicly taught? Don't talk about some art that no one has ever heard of, I am strictly speaking about something one can actually find a place to train in it.
There is not now, nor has there been to my knowledge, a single Ruth that has ever been a member of our school, which makes our taekwondo, kendo, and hapkidp all Ruth-less.

There has definitely never been any Ruth in my kendo class, ever. So I can say with supreme confidence that my Kendo class is the most Ruth-less martial art.

The day that a Ruth signs up to take the class, I will of course lose that claim.:p

Daniel

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think a guy or gal with a sapphire belt (the highest belt... evar) in Gymkata and a JD in Word-Jitsu would beat the bejesus out of anyone... and take all of their money.

Ninebird8

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In my opinion, the question should not be, Which martial art is the most ruthless, but rather under what circumstances would a well trained martial artist become ruthless, irregardless of the art trained? For example, if I am teaching my students or my family, I would never be ruthless, but kind and compassionate, and teach same to my students through my actions. However, if someone tries to harm my wife, my immediate family, or my children, then I will become ruthless. Thus, it becomes not the art but the motivation therein! Eventually, the art should make us natural and instinctual, with little thought once commenced.....however, the actual act of combat or commitment there in should be thought out and accepted depending upon the situation. In other words, move like an animal but think like a human!! My two cents worth, with respect and no ruthlessness...LOL!

HG1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This may turn into an argument, but what do you guys think is the most ruthless martial art that is publicly taught? Don't talk about some art that no one has ever heard of, I am strictly speaking about something one can actually find a place to train in it.
As others have stated, all martial arts have the capacity for violence or mercy. It's the intent of the practitioner that determines the outcome.

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

I'm going to diverge a bit from the majority and write plainly that some systems are more ruthless than others. While it is true that many systems have the potential for ruthless actions, to say Aikido, a primarily defensive style called the gentle martial art, is not as ruthless as say, American Combato, a very offensive form would not be true. That said, while I have the most experience with American Combato (Although only a beginner, never even tested for a belt) it was clearly taught that the eye gouges, kicks to the knees, strikes to the windpipe and the like that are taught in the system are only to be used in self defense and only deadly techniques used when your life is in danger and never use any of it unless you can't run. So, we were taught to basically be ruthless if there was no other option, do what you need to do to survive the attack, ruthless if needed.

I do have a yellow belt in Krav Maga (This means very little, after eight weeks we were all tested and we all passed. If you got 70% of a technique right you passed, it was a joke, not stating all Krav Maga classes are like this, merely the one I took) and I would again say it was more ruthless than a system like Aikido, but again the emphasis on only using it in self defense.

Personally, I would like it if more gentle systems like Aikido could indeed work against an attacker. I've been convinced by experts that they can't work, they may be wrong, but they convinced me. I think there are times you need to be ruthless to survive, and some systems are more ruthless than others, certainly regarding the damage done to the opponent. Than again, I'm no expert. And I'm sure you could kill even using Aikido, throw the guy on the head on hard concrete...he would likely die.

HG1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
*EDIT*Personally, I would like it if more gentle systems like Aikido could indeed work against an attacker. I've been convinced by experts that they can't work, they may be wrong, but they convinced me. I think there are times you need to be ruthless to survive, and some systems are more ruthless than others, certainly regarding the damage done to the opponent. Than again, I'm no expert. And I'm sure you could kill even using Aikido, throw the guy on the head on hard concrete...he would likely die.
Do these experts have any real working knowledge about the gentle systems they critique? If not, I would go find out for myself.

Latest Discussions